PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Electric Polisher?!? Any good?

Pages : [1] 2

chris.ganucheau
07-22-2012, 08:29 PM
I just received a Chicago Electric forced rotation for my birthday. I told my parents I wanted one for my birthday an showed them Autogeek. It seems like a nice quality an solid. I know it's not a flex but I'm just starting out. It has soft start an digital speed reading. It's RPM ranges from 1000-3500. What's yalls take on it?

TroyScherer
07-22-2012, 08:43 PM
It's better than nothing....

chris.ganucheau
07-22-2012, 08:51 PM
It's better than nothing....

i know that, what pads should I use with this?

feslope
07-22-2012, 09:12 PM
I just received a Chicago Electric forced rotation for my birthday. I told my parents I wanted one for my birthday an showed them Autogeek. It seems like a nice quality an solid. I know it's not a flex but I'm just starting out. It has soft start an digital speed reading. It's RPM ranges from 1000-3500. What's yalls take on it?This polisher is a lot of bang for the buck. For personal use it fills the bill and does it well. You can purchase a 2 year replacement warranty for about 15 dollars which is a good deal.

Welcome to the world of rotary polishing. :buffing: = :cruisin:

TroyScherer
07-22-2012, 09:16 PM
i know that, what pads should I use with this?

On my flex PE14:

I personally lean towards the LC Hydro and Flat pads in 5.5. But that machine would be able to handle the 6.5 as well. Like most in the LC I would go with orange, white, black. Or the Hydro Tang / Cyan.

chris.ganucheau
07-22-2012, 09:27 PM
This polisher is a lot of bang for the buck. For personal use it fills the bill and does it well. You can purchase a 2 year replacement warranty for about 15 dollars which is a good deal.

Welcome to the world of rotary polishing. :buffing: = :cruisin:

Thanks thats what I was looking to hear. My dad got the 2 year warranty for it also.

On my flex PE14:

I personally lean towards the LC Hydro and Flat pads in 5.5. But that machine would be able to handle the 6.5 as well. Like most in the LC I would go with orange, white, black. Or the Hydro Tang / Cyan.

So I can use 5.5 pads? I looked at the rotary polisher section of pads an it only had 7.5 or bigger. Im going to get the 5.5 pads! An you would recommend the LC Hydro or Flats.

BillE
07-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Maybe it's a tad early for this old man to think clearly, but are we talking Harbor Freight? Their rotary? Sumpin' else altogether?

Thanx...

Bill

feslope
07-23-2012, 08:14 AM
Maybe it's a tad early for this old man to think clearly, but are we talking Harbor Freight? Their rotary? Sumpin' else altogether?

Thanx...

BillSounds like you know a lot about this polisher. Please enlighten us with your first hand experience.

Your welcome,

TroyScherer
07-23-2012, 08:54 AM
So I can use 5.5 pads? I looked at the rotary polisher section of pads an it only had 7.5 or bigger. Im going to get the 5.5 pads! An you would recommend the LC Hydro or Flats.

With the right backing plate you can use almost any size pad you choose, all the way down to the 3" spot buffing pads. The lager pads may cover more area and be quicker and easier on large surfaces.

As far as which pads to use; it is all really personal preference. The LC Flats are good and time proven pads. There is also quite a few options in that line. The Hydro's are a simple 3 pads system for Cut / Polish / Wax. I like the simplicity of the system especially since I like Meg's 105/205. But they don't last as long as the Flat pads.

Also 2 new lines I have yet to try would be the LC Waffle Pro, Hybrid Power Finish pads.

chris.ganucheau
07-23-2012, 09:15 AM

Thanx...

Bill

Yes I believe it's sold at harbor freight. I didn't purchase it it was a present. I mean I know it's not going to be as good as a flex but to start out on it should suffice.

chris.ganucheau
07-23-2012, 09:17 AM
With the right backing plate you can use almost any size pad you choose, all the way down to the 3" spot buffing pads. The lager pads may cover more area and be quicker and easier on large surfaces.

As far as which pads to use; it is all really personal preference. The LC Flats are good and time proven pads. There is also quite a few options in that line. The Hydro's are a simple 3 pads system for Cut / Polish / Wax. I like the simplicity of the system especially since I like Meg's 105/205. But they don't last as long as the Flat pads.

Also 2 new lines I have yet to try would be the LC Waffle Pro, Hybrid Power Finish pads.

Ok well I went ahead an got the 6 pack deal last night so I could get the 10% off an free shipping.

Buckskincolt
07-23-2012, 09:23 AM
I know I'm a little late here but, you want the thicker pads with a rotary. The flat pads in 5.5" are thin for a rotary same with the low profile ht's. The new 5" hybrid pads are designed for forced rotation buffers.

chris.ganucheau
07-23-2012, 11:14 AM
I know I'm a little late here but, you want the thicker pads with a rotary. The flat pads in 5.5" are thin for a rotary same with the low profile ht's. The new 5" hybrid pads are designed for forced rotation buffers.

Can I still use them? I purchased the 6 pack of LC Flat pads in 5.5" I will probably order a griots orbital buffer sometime in the future an I should be able to use these pads with it correct?

TimmyG
07-23-2012, 11:30 AM

Says who? Not trying to challenge you here, I'm just curious where you got that information from.

I hear a lot of guys are running the 5.5's with no problems.

Again, please take no offense - I'm curious because I just purchased the Makita and planned on using the 5.5's

BillE
07-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Sounds like you know a lot about this polisher. Please enlighten us with your first hand experience.

Your welcome,

Nope...just from looking at their web site and paper catalogs. Just trying to understand if they (HF) have maybe introduced something new (like a Flex) or just a matter of semantics.

Bill