PDA

View Full Version : 2 problems today with a detail

Meticulous-Detail
07-22-2012, 03:46 PM
I detailed a 07 Lexus Pearl White with camel leather. I used Meg's white clay but I felt like it wasn't doing a good job and it was a brand new clay bar. I had to use 3m adhesive remover on lower panels to get the tar, dirt and scuffs off. Car had a ton of iron particles and I don't have any Iron X. I used chemical guys CGCWG and APC to decontaminate . Would Iron X taken of the problem? What was up with Meg's clay? Paint didn't get nice and smooth and I felt like I had to work really hard.

I hit some spots with 105 and 205 and did the whole car with DG 501. Looked good in the end but felt I could have gotten it better.

2 nd issue was leather seats. Used UISG and Megs APC on the interior. Seats were perforated and I used UISG on the leather. The seats just wouldn't come clean on the perforated sections. I must have did them 10 times. I tried mf towels, terry towels and the autoglym scrub pad. The rest of the interior came nice. I had an easier time with a 12 yr old Ram 1500's camel leather. Any thoughts? I finished them off with Meg's leather conditioner.

JAF06SE
07-22-2012, 04:47 PM
I had the same issue with the megs clay when I did the wife's car last weekend. I've usually used the Mother's clay kit but tried the Meg's for first time. Did you use the kit?

Meticulous-Detail
07-22-2012, 05:04 PM
I had the same issue with the megs clay when I did the wife's car last weekend. I've usually used the Mother's clay kit but tried the Meg's for first time. Did you use the kit?

I used Meg's white with Meg's last touch detail spray. Did you find that Mothers Clay worked better?

I have always used Meg's white clay but lately I haven't been happy with it.

JAF06SE
07-22-2012, 05:28 PM
I thought the mother's did very good. It may have been because I left the clay kit in my truck when I bought it a while back for a few months. Talkin to another buddy of mine about it he said his did ok. I think I'll probably buy some mothers and redo it just cause I've had good luck with it in the past.

buddhadog
07-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Red clay magic(very agressive claybar) is great for bad fallout.

Optimum power clean and a good brush for the leather.:props:

shoeless89
07-23-2012, 09:02 AM
I've always had good results with Meguiar's clay bar. But for heavier stuff I prefer Griot's (yellow) clay. Its a lot stickier so kind of a pain to work with but it does a fantastic job getting really heavy contamination off

Meticulous-Detail
07-23-2012, 09:27 AM
How does the Griots compare to Clay Magic Red? Is the clay magic blue more aggressive then Meg's white?

Then Meg's makes mild and aggressive prof. clay too.

I need to pick up some OPC bad. I don't like using APC on leather. I think it was the perforations that gave me the issue bc the non perforated areas didn't give me an issue.

I need to pick up a steamer too.

Agfan
07-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Iron x!!

bigbadbp7
07-23-2012, 09:56 AM
I use the megs mild clay and it works great. I just keep everything lubed up good so I do not marr the paint.

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2012, 10:16 AM
The Meg's white is an ultrafine clay. The blue Clay Magic and the blue Meg's pro are medium grade clays that you would probably want to step up to from the white if you're doing "normal" cars. The fine/ultrafine clays work better for well-maintained vehicles and to keep OTC newbs from marring up their car too much.

Meticulous-Detail
07-23-2012, 10:29 AM
The Meg's white is an ultrafine clay. The blue Clay Magic and the blue Meg's pro are medium grade clays that you would probably want to step up to from the white if you're doing "normal" cars. The fine/ultrafine clays work better for well-maintained vehicles and to keep OTC newbs from marring up their car too much.

Thanx. Most of the cars I do are DD so the blue would be better. I think I need to keep all three in stock.

Setec Astronomy
07-23-2012, 10:38 AM
You could also go with the Griot's (it's kind of soft and similar to the Mother's) or something like the Four Star gray clay, or the Pinnacle XMT Speed Clay is inexpensive (I haven't used the Four Star or the Pinnacle).

JAF06SE
07-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Just swung in my local Advance Auto Parts today and picked some stuff up. They had a little rack of Griot's stuff, almost bought the yellow clay then I found some Meg's blue over with the body work stuff. So just an FYI on where you can get it. It was $16. Got some Meg's Ultimate Compound too. Going to re clay the wife's car sometime and need to do some correction on my truck.

Meticulous-Detail
07-24-2012, 07:41 AM
Just swung in my local Advance Auto Parts today and picked some stuff up. They had a little rack of Griot's stuff, almost bought the yellow clay then I found some Meg's blue over with the body work stuff. So just an FYI on where you can get it. It was $16. Got some Meg's Ultimate Compound too. Going to re clay the wife's car sometime and need to do some correction on my truck.

Thanx. I am going to pick up some fine and medium clay and leave the ultrafine clay for the well maintained cars.