PDA

View Full Version : Some Wolfgang Products - Brief Lessons Learned

honda.crz.nsbp
07-22-2012, 09:16 AM
I recently decided to give the Wolfgang Concurs series of products a try, mostly because of the positive information on this forum.

After a full wash and clay bar, I was ready to start using the first four of the five Wolfgang products I purchased. These five products are:

Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0
Wolfgang Metalwerk Metal Sealant
Wolfgang Fuzion Wax
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant

The products in bold are the subjects of this post. I hope to apply the Spritz Sealant in a week or two as a booster for the Fuzion.

First, a little bit of a warning for car detailing noobs like me: Always do a test area first. I, unfortunately, have some first hand experience with this. Doing a test area is well worth it in avoiding any large-scale screw ups My preferred test area now is the lower right or left rear bumper area.

Alright, now onto the lessons learned! Most products were applied with a polishing pal or soft foam applicator pad (for those hard to reach areas). I have no experience with the durability of the products just yet, but reports range from month to months, likely the result of how much time the car is exposed to the elements/what kind of elements the car is exposed to. Additionally, all products were applied in a garage with me using a respirator and nitrile gloves. Call me paranoid, but I'm not a fan of sniffing/touching products whose ingredients I can't pronounce for hours on end

Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer

Designed to be used on a freshly prepared surface, the Paintwork Polish Enhancer is a nonabrasive chemical cleaner that will remove light oxidation and any previously-applied layers of LSP The latter point was most important for me, since my CRZ had previous applications of Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax and Ultimate Spray Wax. Application of the Paintwork Polish Enhancer can be a little tricky, mostly due to the old adage, "a little bit goes a long way." If you add too much, I can tell you with now that it will be a TERRIBLE experience to buff off (this is why we I now do test areas!). Not only does it take a long time to buff off using more pressure than anyone would like, a lot of powdery white residue forms that just gets everywhere. I ended up using a single glob, somewhere in the ballpark of half dime-sized, on a primed foam application. That little glob was able to cover 1/4 to 1/3 of a panel on my CRZ. A lot of car detailing products are designed to be used sparingly, but this seems to be especially the case with this product. Anywho. After car-wide application, I let the product dry to a haze for about 30 minutes. Some people recommend wiping off the Paintwork Polish Enhancer immediately after application, but I read somewhere that this products contains some fillers and that it is best to let these fillers "settle" a bit. Besides that, I find that these type of liquid products are usually easier to remove after drying to a haze. Provided that the product was not applied too thickly, removal should be a breeze. I used one microfiber towel for removal and another to buff the area to a shine. During removal, some powdery white residue forms, but it's not too bad provided the product was applied thin. I'm not entirely sure what the white powdery residue is (excess product or previous last step production being removed?), but it's important to be gentle while removing, as to ensure no swirls are formed.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 is a synthetic, silicone-based sealant. Like other synthetic sealants, it can be used alone or as a foundation layer for topping off with some sort of carnauba wax. I'm using it for the latter purpose, with the intent of topping off with Fuzion to achieve the warmth that is generally associated with carnauba. Unlike the Paintwork Polish Enhancer, the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant can be applied a little more liberally. Note, however, that this is using the Paintwork Polish Enhancer as a reference point. So instead of using a half dime-sized glob, I maybe used a quarter-sized glob on a primed pad. Application is pretty strait forward, similar to any other sealant or liquid wax. After letting the product cure for about an hour, I proceeded to remove excess product with microfiber towels. Removal is fairly easy, though in areas of application overlap on individual panels, the sealant may be thicker and a bit more difficult to buff out. Good lighting is key here, as it allows you to see any spots you might have missed. Also, note that this particular product takes about 12 hours to cure. That means to either park it in a garage or park it outside when there's zero chance of precipitation while the compound cures.

Wolfgang Metalwerk Metal Sealant

While waiting for the paint sealant to cure, I applied the Wolfgang Metalwerk Metal (http://www.crzforum.com/forum/#) Sealant in hopes of making brake dust easier to remove. In contrast to the previous two products, I applied this metal sealant with old cotton gloves slipped over my nitrile gloves. Much easier to adjust to the nooks and crannies of my rims that way. Also, in contrast to the first two products, I could apply globs and globs of this product without worries of a difficult removal. I just poured some product on my gloves and then went to town applying it all over my rims. The Wolfgang Metalwerk Metal Sealant is incredibly easy and fast to apply. Removal is just as easy and fast! After letting dry to a haze for about 45 minutes, I proceeded to wipe off any excess with a microfiber towel. The excess product came right off, and in contrast to paint sealants, did not present any difficulty at all in areas where product was applied thicker. I simply cannot overstate how simple the application/removal of this was. Hopefully, it will also be durable and do a decent job at making my life easier when it comes to cleaning break dust.

Wolfgang Fuzion

The following day, I applied Wolfgang Fuzion as a topper to the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. This was my first time using a paste wax, but the ease of use with Fuzion dispelled any worries I had when working with it. Fuzion applies just as smoothly as any liquid wax/sealant that I've used in the past, and unlike some of LSP products, no hazing time is required prior to removal. And like the other products in this post, a little bit definitely goes a long way. A little bit of product in my applicator pad was able to cover maybe 1/4 of a panel on my car. Removal of excess product was also no different than any other liquid sealant/wax I've used in the past, with the exception of no hazing time. I used two microfiber towels for buffing. One to remove the bulk of the excess product, and the second to buff out any remaining residue for a nice shine.

Final Wrap Up

All in all, I spent a lot of time on my car this weekend. Probably more time than I've ever spent detailing it. Maybe that's due to my relative inexperience with them. But I have to admit, the look so far is a step up from Meguiars. Here's a picture I took with my iphone. If it stops raining here, I'll go outside and take a few more.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83188504@N05/7621920350/http://www.flickr.com/photos/83188504@N05/7621920350/in/photostream/lightbox/
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7262/7621920350_fdf4712fb5_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/83188504@N05/7621920350/)

The real question is, however, whether or not this improved look is worth the extra time and money of these products. If they prove to be more durable, then I think it's a hands down winner for the Wolfgang products. If not, and in the case of a daily driver like my CRZ, then the decision might be a bit more difficult. I realize it's a subjective decision, but I find it an interesting one. For myself, provided that the durability passes the test, I think it is worth it, though I think I may have to limit myself to maybe two or three times a year for these multi-day details.

SonOfOC
07-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Thats a lot info! It's hard to beat OTC products from Meguiars. Meg products are very good, smell fantastic, and are very affordable.

However, there are many boutique products like Wolfgang that take it to the next level. The products you chosen from WG happen to be fantastic. Now that you initially spent a lot time you car; the upkeep maintenance will not be as intense.

The WGPS is a top notch paint sealant. You will easily get 4 months with gentle washes and can stretch indefinitely with the Fuzion and Spritz Sealant. Most of your time was spent with claying and WG Polish. Twice a year for clay, light polish, and sealant is not too bad. The results from your pictures is totally worth it in my opinion. Your CRZ looks amazing!

Red Benz
07-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Now that I have my car shimmering like a mirror with WG shampoo, enhancer,swirl remover,glaze, and Fusion paste wax, I am giving away all of my Meguiars products. This is not a slam on them, but Wolfgang just beats the crap out of anything I've ever used. I spent 6 hours with a 7424XP PC and by hand and the results are better than when new. Only 5760 original miles (never in rain and garage kept) but the paint is still over 11 years old.

SirJAG
07-22-2012, 01:23 PM
has anyone used the pre sealer polish with a 6in orbital from autozone?

drewberg11
07-22-2012, 03:40 PM
New to detailing and the Wolfgang line has just made it so easy to get great results. I had previously used a few off the shelf meguiars and mothers products.

Compared to those, Wolfgang polishes/sealants/wash/interior products are all much easier to use for me. Long work times with the polishes, no dusting, easy wipe off. I'm sold. Probably 2/3 of the products I own are Wolfgang.

BobbyG
07-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Wolfgang offers a complete system of products that can really go the distance when pitted against the competition. From car washes to Wolfgang Auto Bath to their Fuzion wax, Wolfgang is a quality line that raises the standard of car care performance.

I have quite a number of Wolfgang products and they've never failed to satisfy...:props:

honda.crz.nsbp
07-22-2012, 04:27 PM
For those of you that have previously used the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer, what is the white powdery residue that forms while buffing it off (after allowing it to dry to a haze for ~45 minutes or so)? I initially thought it was excessive product, but at present, I use as little as I can, since a little bit goes a long way for me.

ScottB
07-22-2012, 04:35 PM
The sealant and the wax should offer nothing but a very light buffing to remove the residue. Even when overapplied it should not be all that difficult to remove. Sealants can be a bit tricker than wax and streak abit "if" the sealant has dried.

The paintwork polishing lotion can be a bit harder to remove especially when used on oxidized paint or applied heavily. Its likely the ingredients working to chemically strip paint and prep for the wax.

swanicyouth
07-22-2012, 05:25 PM
For those of you that have previously used the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer, what is the white powdery residue that forms while buffing it off (after allowing it to dry to a haze for ~45 minutes or so)? I initially thought it was excessive product, but at present, I use as little as I can, since a little bit goes a long way for me.

I don't think it's necessary to let it sit on the panel that long. Most paint cleaners are removed after they are worked into the surface. Not that it hurts too leave it on, but you may find it easier to remove. Nice write up!

DaveT435
07-22-2012, 05:32 PM
It looks great!! I may have to try some of their products. I really want to try the Fuzion wax. Obviously I haven't used the Polish Enhancer...is it possibly the old LSP's that it's removing?

primo spaghetti
07-22-2012, 06:00 PM
i love the wolfgang line and must say, it is my favourite of anything ive ever used. i too used to be a megs guy (25+ years) but love the WG.

i also have a bunch of Menzerna i just picked up (SF 4000 and SF 4500)which i have read is basically the same as wolfang, but IMHO, i think i like the wolfgang better. seemed to finsh a bit better on the PC and well as give a little better pop. the real test will be when i do my black truck again in the fall that was my intended use for the menzerna), but the WG hasn't let me down yet.

Red Benz
07-23-2012, 08:02 AM
It looks great!! I may have to try some of their products. I really want to try the Fuzion wax. Obviously I haven't used the Polish Enhancer...is it possibly the old LSP's that it's removing?
The Enhancer is to take off the old wax. You don't need to leave it on. Try some of the other WG products, especially the paste wax. I hand waxed my car 3 times since it's so easy to use and didn't even put a dent in the amount I used. Best of luck. Red Benz