PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use Meguiars #40 on tires?

Pages : [1] 2

SR99
07-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Thought I might try it, but no point wasting it if others have tried it and it just doesn't work out well on tires.

bigbadbp7
07-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Thats all I use on my/customers tires. Works great.
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp246/bigbadbp7/Detailing/100_3525.jpg

habeba86
07-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Durability cant be very good is it?

bigbadbp7
07-21-2012, 06:19 PM
I really cannot say I have tested it, It just leaves the tire with a clean look after a while, kinda like right off the shelf look. I will have to test it. I mean I do wash my car like every week/week and half and just always reapply.

jvs1991
07-21-2012, 07:54 PM
I have two bottles of this so I may try it for tires tomorrow when I wash.

Do you guys spray it on an applicator then wipe it on or spray it directly on tire then wipe with an applicator?

Meticulous-Detail
07-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Vinyl 40 is water based and will not last long. Meg's ASD will work better and last much longer.

HotRodJoe
07-21-2012, 08:07 PM
I've used it at a car show because I liked the appearance but it slings off and diminishes quickly once driven.

bigbadbp7
07-21-2012, 09:49 PM
I have two bottles of this so I may try it for tires tomorrow when I wash.

Do you guys spray it on an applicator then wipe it on or spray it directly on tire then wipe with an applicator?
I spray it on a microfiber and wipe it on.

2old2change
07-21-2012, 10:07 PM
I like the matt look of Megs #40 on tires and exterior trim. Way back at a Megs Roadshow in 2005 or 06 Mike Phillips turned me on to this tip and its very quick and easy. I still use this at times but also like OPT Opti-Bond and Garry Deans Tire Gel. All three are on my detailing shelf.

SR99
07-21-2012, 11:39 PM
I've been using Megs hyperdressing, just thought I'd give the #40 a try.

I've been using a paint roller to apply tire dressing (same roller head for a couple years, and it stays fairly saturated with the hyperdressing). Something like this size roller (3 or 4 inch long, maybe 1.5" diameter):
http://productimages.grainger.com/is/image/Grainger/12G328_AS01?$productdetail$

but a more absorbant nap rather than the dense synthetic shown in that pic. It might be cotton.

It's very quick to apply with a roller, and easily gets into the nooks and crannies of the edge tread and embossed writing on the tire, but it probably does waste more product than using a MF towel to apply it. I get fairly close to the wheel edge with the roller and use a cheap-o paint brush to get what the roller applied, up against the wheel edge.

Anyone else use a roller to apply tire dressing?

For the Megs #40 I'll probably just try a MF as someone suggested.

jsgntulok
07-22-2012, 10:40 PM
I have been using Megs #40 to dress tires for over three years. It is easy to use and makes the tires look great. It does not build up on the tires like some dressings do and does not sling. Longevity is not the greatest but that does not concern me. The tires stay looking great until a heavy rain.

SR99
07-25-2012, 10:04 PM
I tried the #40 a few days ago. I like it. Just the right matte finish. I only did one coat on clean tires.

Also tried something new in applying it. A grout sponge.
Pick one up for 2 bucks at your local home center. They're about 6" x 8" x 2" thick. Take a serrated knife and cut it into 3 or 4 pieces. Take one and store the remaining pieces for later.

Don't know why I never thought of it before. Grout sponges are very rugged and clean up easily. They're used to scrub abrasive grout after all.
Try it you'll like it. Worst case you're out 2 bucks, or use the sponge in the kitchen.

Meticulous-Detail
07-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Just an FYI Megs Water Based Dressing is a nice product too. You can adjust the shine and sheen by diluting it with water. I like to use it bc you can tailor it to the customers desire, it comes in a gallon, is cheap and it last a long time on the interior and decent on the exterior. Smells great too. If you have a neglected interior that is dried out it will bring it back to life at 3 to 1 ratio and will last a few months.

Mike Phillips
07-26-2012, 09:48 AM
I've used M40 for years, it leaves a natural sheen, not a high shine.

It's water based so it's easy to remove so you can replace an old application with a fresh application. The point being, solvent based dressings last longer but are also messier to remove to renew that fresh dressed tire look. For this reason I like a water based tire dressing, so I can remove it.

I also used it for years on the high back bucket seats in my Sanger Drag Boat. I had these seats custom made by a shop in Oregon and they looked as good the day I sold the boat as the day I installed them.

Never ever seen another drag boat with seats like mine...

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/270SangerDragBoat.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/1970SangerDragBoat003.jpg

The product has been around for 30 plus years...

:)

Hammondc
07-26-2012, 10:30 AM
SICK boat.