PDA

View Full Version : Remove scratches on interior vinyl/plastic?

DEXTERITY
07-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Greetings,

any ideas on how to move scratches on the interior of car? I have one small scratch (looks like from a finger nail - don't think it is deep) on the plastic/vinyl (not sure what material is) r door handle on the drivers side of my car. Brand new car - not happy lol..

Also, the cargo section has a small scuff mark on the side close to where the cargo door opens.

I would greatly appreciate any tips. I tried 303 vinyl cleaner and protectant , neither worked. Would something like Novus work? Don't own it, simply read about it elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.

DEXTERITY
07-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Greetings,

any ideas on how to move scratches on the interior of car? I have one small scratch (looks like from a finger nail - don't think it is deep) on the plastic/vinyl (not sure what material is) r door handle on the drivers side of my car. Brand new car - not happy lol..

Also, the cargo section has a small scuff mark on the side close to where the cargo door opens.

I would greatly appreciate any tips. I tried 303 vinyl cleaner and protectant , neither worked. Would something like Novus work? Don't own it, simply read about it elsewhere.

Thanks in advance.

:bump:

richy
07-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Basically, you're screwed unless you want to go to the bother of removing the plastic piece, sanding it flat and then re-shooting it. I'd be afraid the finish (it might end up smoother than the surrounding plastic) or colour would be off. The Auto Glym Interior pad is a great cleaning tool to clean the area as well as can be. Top that off with an interior dressing and that's about the best you can do IMO. That's what I do.

swanicyouth
07-23-2012, 08:18 AM
If the car is brand new, you could see if the dealer would replace the part under warranty. If the part is cheap enough, they may just do it for customer service.

DEXTERITY
07-23-2012, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will talk with the dealer. I wish there was a quick fix lol

Largebore
07-23-2012, 09:19 AM
ha... last night I discovered a product from Wolfgang that I repurposed just for the reason.

Always frustrated on how to remove or reduce the scratches etc on the plastic console and trim.

i tried Wolfgang Headlight system. It has three bottles of product. A compound of sorts, a finishing polish and a sealant.

it worked remarably well.

fahoumh
07-23-2012, 10:42 AM
When I did my cousin's car, there were scuffs along the bottom of the interior door panel (from shoes) and the back of the front seats (from snowboards). I cleaned those spots like 3 or 4 times with at least 3 different products and the best I could do was to reduce the appearance. It was impossible to remove them; and his car has a black interior so it was especially frustrating.

Mike Phillips
07-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Read through this thread carefully, don't simply scan it. It can be found in my article list under,

Interior Polishing

How to Remove Hair line scratches on Wood Trim? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/29615-how-remove-hair-line-scratches-wood-trim.html)

:)

ray6
07-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Great website. I'm jealous. Still waiting for my daughter to finish ours.
ray6

richy
07-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Great website. I'm jealous. Still waiting for my daughter to finish ours.
ray6

I'm thinking that was directed towards me as my post (other than Mike's) was the only one with a website listed. Thank you. I'm very proud of it. I did it myself with the help of Weebly.com. It took me a couple of weeks working on it at night. Not bad for an old dinosaur, LOL.

DEXTERITY
07-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. Mike, I appreciate you taking the time out to link the thread you suggested reading. I will read through it.