PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in Detailing: Poorboy Product Maintinence and a wax issue

TomG
07-21-2012, 02:53 PM
So its been a couple of weeks since the Poorboys Expo and I figured I might post some information on how the products seem to have held up. The Black 08 Escape still looks fantastic:
Today (2 weeks after Bob and I did a pretty intensive detail [see the Poorboys expo weekend thread]) I washed the 08 Black Escape (8BE) with Duragloss 901 Car Soap, which is supposed to be very mild on the finish and seems to work REALLY well on a well-kept car (i've used it on my new Jeep and the 8BE while it was very dirty), and followed up with a Pinnacle Souveran liquid wax (if there is more than one type you will have to ask my FIL which kind, he gave me an AG applicator bottle full of the wax and I used a Meguiars 3" applicator pad). According to all the threads I've read you are supposed to drink a beer while you wait for the haze. I drank two to make sure it would be shiny. Then I buffed it out (it is a relatively mild day for us here in NE, less humidity than normal lately and 75ish degrees; the 8BE was in a relatively shady spot) with a MF cloth using my own modified version of Mike's method. According to some of his threads, Mike uses a "two-rag" system. He buffs with one rag and holds the other in his other hand to ensure that when he leans he doesn't leave marks. My modification is a one-rag, one-beer method. If I am holding a beer, I am not leaning on the car. It worked well for me.

I had a slight problem that I would appreciate some input on. First, there was a fine white powder in the air, it might have been pollen or ash (I had to repeatedly blow on the car bfore applying the wax, and I know I didn't introduce it). This did not actually seem to effect the wax. My problem was that after I buffed out the wax I kept finding more powder on areas I had already buffed, though it was finer and more yelowish than the stuff I was fighting with during application. Is this because I didn't switch up my rags enough and the dry wax built up? I'm guessing that was the issue but would like to confirm it with someone with more experience. At any rate the mirror finish from the efforts of Bob and I came back easily:
I don't neccesarily intend to wax every two weeks, but I've heard three coats is the rule of thumb. I figured I would spread it out over time and see how that goes.