PDA

View Full Version : Foam

Widetrack
07-21-2012, 10:49 AM
I just bought one of the cheap Home Depot foamers that attaches to a pressure washer. Can I use regular car soap in it (Megs Gold Class) or do I need to use a dedicated foaming wash for it to be worth using? I have ONR too, if that can be used.

DeadlySheds
07-21-2012, 10:58 AM
I have the same one. I've only used it a few times and haven't really been able to dial it in very well. I've been using gold class as well and found diluting it wasn't working. Last time I tried straight up soap and got a decent foam by just adjusting the 'adjuster'. I'd imagine a true foam soap would probably work better.

NewXJ
07-21-2012, 11:28 AM
i have same attachment and i use megs gold filled up to first line then add water to top line. i then stir contents and once i attach canister i shake it up...works great for me suds go on thick.

swanicyouth
07-21-2012, 11:32 AM
You can use any soap. Some work better than others. ONR will actually decrease foam / suds IME. You have to experiment to get a mixture that works for you. It's easy to add a lot of soap to the bottle thinking this will give you thicker foam, which is true up to a point. However, too much can strip off sealant or wax. I tried that G Foamer. It delivered a decent foam for what it is. The main problem I had with it was the bottle was too small.

Once I tried a more expensive foamer the difference was like night and day on how long the foam would dwell on the surface. Shampoo choice does make a big difference. I don't use Megs shampoos, but the best I've found are Chemical Guys soaps, especially Honeydew Foam. I've read the Meg's Gold Class is pretty good in a foamer though.

I usually use about 30 oz mixture on a SUV to coat the vehicle several times. Then I let it dwell until a lot has ran off. Then I pressure wash the vehicle slowly and thoroughly. This gets rid of almost all the dirt and the rinse water stays clean. IMHO the more expensive foamers with the
brass style fixture heads are worth the price over the less expensive ones if using a pressure washer.

Geerubb
07-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Using the honeydew soap...how much soap do you use for that 30oz mixture?

Widetrack
07-22-2012, 05:46 AM
Thanks everyone. I wound up trying with Megs Gold Class mixed with water at about 2:1. Not quite as foamy as I would have liked, but it did what I wanted it to do. Maybe I'll try 1:1 next time.

Bunky
07-22-2012, 05:51 AM
Thanks everyone. I wound up trying with Megs Gold Class mixed with water at about 2:1. Not quite as foamy as I would have liked, but it did what I wanted it to do. Maybe I'll try 1:1 next time.

You may end up using a lot of soap.

With my Griot's foam gun and Optimum, I can get plenty of suds
with dilutions around 8 to 10:1 type dilutions.

It really sounds like you want the foam you get with a pressure washer.

ForceField
07-22-2012, 06:06 AM
You may end up using a lot of soap.

With my Griot's foam gun and Optimum, I can get plenty of suds
with dilutions around 8 to 10:1 type dilutions.

It really sounds like you want the foam you get with a pressure washer.

I just bought one of the cheap Home Depot foamers that attaches to a pressure washer. Can I use regular car soap in it (Megs Gold Class) or do I need to use a dedicated foaming wash for it to be worth using? I have ONR too, if that can be used.

swanicyouth
07-22-2012, 06:40 AM
Using the honeydew soap...how much soap do you use for that 30oz mixture?

2.5 ounces