PDA

View Full Version : Trim care

dcdb24
07-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Got a 98 jeep cherokee with very faded trim. Used back to black which did a great job. Has been on about a week now and after two days of rain its starting to fade a little. So i am looking for something with longevity and not glossy just a natural looking finish. Maybe the stuff from gtechnique anyone used that or have any other suggesions.

bigbadbp7
07-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Ive always have had good luck with Meguairs #40
Meguiars #40<br>Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner protects rubber, plastic & vinyl interior surfaces. Meguiars # 40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner and (http://www.autogeek.net/meg40vinrubc.html)

Rsurfer
07-20-2012, 11:56 PM
C4 properly preped.
Got a 98 jeep cherokee with very faded trim. Used back to black which did a great job. Has been on about a week now and after two days of rain its starting to fade a little. So i am looking for something with longevity and not glossy just a natural looking finish. Maybe the stuff from gtechnique anyone used that or have any other suggesions.

rodster205
07-21-2012, 06:25 AM
This will be a bit of a 'getto' fix, and obviously wouldn't be suitable for anything remotely sporty. But considering this is an old Cherokee... If you want an almost permanent fix that will stand up to almost anything (going offroad?) get a can of high-heat exhaust or BBQ grill black spray paint, tape it off, spray, and you are done. Most high-heat at the parts store or Wal-World is somewhat of a matte finish but I have seen some semi-gloss also, look around to get what you want. I have done entire bumpers, holds up to weather and rocks, etc.

Sommy
07-21-2012, 06:43 AM
I've been happy with aerospace 303

truckbutt
07-21-2012, 09:20 AM
UTTG+ (Ultima trim and Tire Guard Plus)

Bobby B.
07-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Solution Finish works great on faded trim

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2220_479260228

Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer, trim restorer, black plastic restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/solution-finish-restorer.html)

BobbyG
07-21-2012, 10:49 AM
CarPro DLux is a new product and works very well. I'm testing this against Solution Finish and both are doing well 3 weeks after application....:props:

CarPro DLux
Solution Finish
Ultima Tire & Trim Guard

TomG
07-21-2012, 01:56 PM
It's funny because BobbyG recomended something different on this thread, but he gave me PERL (I hope like hell it isn't one of the products he already listed, I don't remember the maker off the top of my head unfortunately). It went on very easy on my exterior plastics when the Jeep was brand new, and held up really well for awhile. It did wash strangely after a few weeks, NBD because you could only see it when the plastic was soaked, but once the product degraded completely (about three months) the "finish" looked normal wet or dry again. I would seriously reccomend it myself. I've heard of the B2B and would think that using the B2B with a PERL follow up might be a great 1-2 punch.

I intend to reapply but I need to figure out how to get all the Poorboys pro-polish that I sprayed everywhere off of the plastics first...GD #### works great on the metal finish but you can't see it when the plastics are wet or have product (Mineral Spirits) on them. (Used the spirits to clean them and didn't see they were stained until 2 days later).

**Disclaimer, I don't have much experience with other products, BobbyG has obviously had more and his reccomendations should probably hold more weight. I just know the PERL worked great.

FUNX650
07-21-2012, 02:55 PM
For something 'more permanent':

1. Gatorback; or...
2. Automotive International's E.T.R Kit III

:)

Bob

Rsurfer
07-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Subscribed..wish you had UTTG in the test.:xyxthumbs:
CarPro DLux is a new product and works very well. I'm testing this against Solution Finish and both are doing well 3 weeks after application....:props:

CarPro DLux
Solution Finish
Ultima Tire & Trim Guard

davidc
07-21-2012, 03:54 PM

CarPro DLux
Solution Finish
Ultima Tire & Trim Guard

Bobby,
I did a redo on the wife's Sienna plastic panel and cleaned the plastic with alcohol this time. The Solution Finish is dieing at 3 weeks but I also used 303 on another section and buffed it in with a rotary and wool pad. The 303 looks better than the Solution Finish at this point. The Solution Finish also has some water spots from rain that are not coming out any time soon. I used The Dlux on the daughters mirrors and out side window rubber trim about a month ago and it still looks like the day I put it on. I am going to clean up another section on the Sienna and try the Dlux as it or the buffed in 303 look like the proven lasting products so far. I am sure the Dlux will out last the 303.

Dave

davidc
07-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Subscribed..wish you had UTTG in the test.:xyxthumbs:

I have had UTTG on the wife's Sienna luggage rack since 5/1/12 and it shows no sign of degradation yet

Dave

Alex22
03-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Bump, Any updates?