PDA

View Full Version : Do I go for it or not yet?

Pages : [1] 2

After Hours
07-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Hey mobile guys. I work a regular 40 hr job and I have a detail trailer that I do side work with here & there, but I really want to work full time mobile. I was wondering if you guys thought right now is too close to winter to get started ( since I don't have alot of clientele built up yet). I'm kinda scared that it'll be too slow for winter. Especially just getting started. Has anyone started this late in the summer & had success? I feel like I need to get on the ball with it, but scared to quit my regular job. I have years of Exp detailing & do quality work, just kinda scary! Any kind of feed back would be great! Thanks

Tundra_10
07-20-2012, 06:19 PM
I think you answered your own question by stating you really do not have a lot of customers . Although the question was not directed to me, I hope I can be of assistance. I would never go out on my own until it was necessary (ie preternaturally long days, and no sleep) and it was just not possible to do both. Also I do not want to pry but I would suggest having enough capital to allow you to sustain yourself (bills, food, living expenses, etc) for a minimum of 6 months to cover you for slow times. If I were in your shoes I would put some nuts away for the winter, come up with a great business plan and attack hard to get some fleet work or quantity work. That way when they need you next spring and your busting your butt you can decide if this is a move you still want to make and will be busy already. Hopefully from there your quality of work will continue to land you jobs and you can keep putting money aside to support yourself and business.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

After Hours
07-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Yea your right. I think I'll do a little advertising now & do what I can on weekends & get all my ducks in a row first. By spring I will hopefully be ready to hit it full time. I was leaning towards that, but feel like it'll be tough to begin either way & kinda anxious to get going. Gotta get licensed & insured, trailer lettered up , etc etc first anyway so it's smart to wait. Thanks for your input.

arack
07-20-2012, 07:09 PM
I would wait until early spring. Also, as a business owner and a full time employee at a corporation, I would build up a cash cushion if you are leaving your job. Also, consider your benefits at your full time job.

It is harder to get benefits on your own with your own business. You want to be able to build up your client list first. Also, consider offering some entry level specials to get some new customers in the spring. Maybe a spring detailing special.

magna_power
07-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Are you at the point where you're turning down customers as you don't have enough time to do their cars? If I were you I'd want to be pretty busy before I made the jump.

Also, I'd be telling your current customers that you'll be going "full time" in about 6 months (not sure how many you have and how often hey repeat), and that when you do you'll be offering a half price wash for previous customers, or something like that, during the first 2 weeks, and ask if they want you to let them know about it. Obviously if you see them every few months leave it to closer to the time.

Although this seems like a huge loss of money, it will make sure that you are busy at the start and will hopefully start up some word of mouth, and it reminds them you can now work during the week. Let them tell all their friends at work "i just have to pop out to my car for a minute, guy is coming over to wash it". Word of mouth is very very powerful!!!

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-20-2012, 07:40 PM
You live in Georgia, right? How is it close to winter?? I live in northern GA, and it's really only "cold" here for 4-6 weeks. (unless you have a different idea of what cold is)

People get their cars detailed almost all year round in the south. If you lived up north, then that's a different story.

After Hours
07-20-2012, 08:34 PM
I would wait until early spring. Also, as a business owner and a full time employee at a corporation, I would build up a cash cushion if you are leaving your job. Also, consider your benefits at your full time job.

It is harder to get benefits on your own with your own business. You want to be able to build up your client list first. Also, consider offering some entry level specials to get some new customers in the spring. Maybe a spring detailing special.

I get benefits through my wife's job so that's not a problem.

After Hours
07-20-2012, 08:39 PM
You live in Georgia, right? How is it close to winter?? I live in northern GA, and it's really only "cold" here for 4-6 weeks. (unless you have a different idea of what cold is)

People get their cars detailed almost all year round in the south. If you lived up north, then that's a different story.

It gets cold around nov/dec and stays pretty cold until march. Maybe not last winter but normally. It's def cold for longer than 4-6 weeks. And I know that I still have a few mths but am worried that's not enough time to get my business off the ground & running. And I have detailed cars for quite a few years & every shop I've worked at slows down in the winter that's why I wanted to ask the mobile guys their input ( since I have not done mobile in the winter).

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-20-2012, 09:15 PM
It gets cold around nov/dec and stays pretty cold until march. Maybe not last winter but normally. It's def cold for longer than 4-6 weeks. And I know that I still have a few mths but am worried that's not enough time to get my business off the ground & running. And I have detailed cars for quite a few years & every shop I've worked at slows down in the winter that's why I wanted to ask the mobile guys their input ( since I have not done mobile in the winter).
Suffice it to say that we indeed do have different ideas of what cold is. I lived near Buffalo NY for many years, ummm yeah, now we're talking cold and nasty for months. Georgia is paradise compared to that. There's still a good 4 months left here in GA for decent weather, maybe more depending.

But hey, if you have a dependable full time job, don't sweat it. Do it when you're ready.

After Hours
07-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Suffice it to say that we indeed do have different ideas of what cold is. I lived near Buffalo NY for many years, ummm yeah, now we're talking cold and nasty for months. Georgia is paradise compared to that. There's still a good 4 months left here in GA for decent weather, maybe more depending.

But hey, if you have a dependable full time job, don't sweat it. Do it when you're ready.

I'm sure it is paradise compared to NY. I've always lived in the south so winters here are cold to me, ha. Yea like I said above, I'm just gonna build as much clientele over the next few mths & get some things in order & prepare for spring. I've just had some changes at my current job & I'm ready to move on. But the smart thing is to wait.

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-21-2012, 02:23 AM
I'm sure it is paradise compared to NY. I've always lived in the south so winters here are cold to me, ha. Yea like I said above, I'm just gonna build as much clientele over the next few mths & get some things in order & prepare for spring. I've just had some changes at my current job & I'm ready to move on. But the smart thing is to wait.
it's all on you. I have enough to worry about. i hope it works out for you.

craz0boy
07-21-2012, 04:59 AM
I started my biz this year in January, took till now to finally barely get it rolling. That's after advertising my biz like crazy lol try to go part time with your job and leave detailing for weekends when you do decide to start with your biz. Gives you time to build a customer base.

Sommy
07-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Keep working hard and do both. Assuming you are under 60 you can handle it. When you are routinely turning away large numbers of clients, then go full time.

After Hours
07-21-2012, 07:28 AM
I started my biz this year in January, took till now to finally barely get it rolling. That's after advertising my biz like crazy lol try to go part time with your job and leave detailing for weekends when you do decide to start with your biz. Gives you time to build a customer base.

Thanks for the advice.

After Hours
07-21-2012, 07:30 AM
Keep working hard and do both. Assuming you are under 60 you can handle it. When you are routinely turning away large numbers of clients, then go full time.

I'm 34....and that's my plan. Thanks for the advice.