PDA

View Full Version : Advice on the best products for a noob

Pages : [1] 2

Wayneezy
07-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Hey everyone first off I was extremely excited to find out about this site. Being new to the auto detailing obsession it was nice to find this and check out tips and product info, reviews etc.

I am a sales consultant at a GM dealership in Alberta Canada. I just bought my first new vehicle (2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ). I guess you could say i have OCD and cannot sleep if i know it is dirty. I plan on trying to keep it looking new forever so have hopped on the auto detailing band wagon.

I am looking for info on the best/favorite products available right now for the following:

Interior Cleaner -
Wax-
Tire Shine-
Black Trim Protectant-
Wheel Detail Spray-
Scratch Remover-
any other useful tools/product

Any help would be great. Id love everyone possible to reply and maybe just fill in the blanks for me. Even feel free to tell me about yourself and what type of vehicle you have, how you got start etc. Excited to be here and look forward to the replies !

rider9195
07-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online!

Here is a list of products I would look into.

Wash- Duragloss 901
Drying- Waffle Weave Towels
Clay- Optimum No Rinse at clay lube dilution with Blackfire, Pinnacle, or Chemical Guys Clay
Compound- Meguiar's M105, Optimum Hyper Compound, Menzerna Power Gloss
Polishes- Meguiar's M205, Optimum Hyper Polish, Menzerna PO106FA
Pre-Wax Cleaners- Car Pro Eraser, Menzerna Top Inspection, Griot's Pre Wax Cleaner
Sealant- Blackfire Wet Diamond, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
Wax- Blackfire Midnight Sun, DP Max Wax, Collinite 845
Spray wax- Duragloss Aquawax

Tire dressing- CG VRP
Interior Cleaner- CG Interior Cleaner, and Inner Clean
Tire protectant- WG Exterior Trim Sealant or Ultima TTG
Quick Detailer- Finish Kare 425

I would really look into a Dual Action Polisher such as the Porter Cable 7424XP. Makes detailing a lot easier.

drewberg11
07-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Concentrate on proper wash technique and you won't need a polisher or any compound/polish for a while.

Two 5 gallon buckets and grit guards. Quality wash mitt and auto shampoo. Ive tried only a few washes compared to the pros on this site but I really like the optimum car wash as well as the Wolfgang autobathe. Haven't added any wash induced swirls yet and they both clean well.

What are you looking for in a wax/sealant? That'll probably help people give better suggestions (durability, ease of use, shine, etc). I really like the Wolfgang sealant. Lasted me an easy 4 months and looks great.

Buckskincolt
07-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Why would a noob with a brand new truck want optimum
Compound or worse yet M105? Sounds like a sure way to make a mess if you ask me.
I'd stick to a polish or a all in one.
Do you have a DA polisher and pads? If not you will want one.
Go on the ask the expert part of this forum and go to the thread articles by Mike Phillips and read, there is so much info there for someone starting out!

Puckywuckums
07-19-2012, 05:53 PM
As a noob myself I have to agree with Buck. A 2012 vehicle won't need compound etc.....

vet
07-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Welcome!

rider9195
07-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Why would a noob with a brand new truck want optimum
Compound or worse yet M105? Sounds like a sure way to make a mess if you ask me.
I'd stick to a polish or a all in one.
Do you have a DA polisher and pads? If not you will want one.
Go on the ask the expert part of this forum and go to the thread articles by Mike Phillips and read, there is so much info there for someone starting out!

The only reason I suggested that is because lets say he has to do a friends car or someone wants their car done. Always good to have it on hand.

But I agree on the AIO part of it.

ScottB
07-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Interior Cleaner - Einszett Cockpit Premium (dash.doors)
Wax-Pinnacle Paste
Tire Shine-Optimums Optibond
Black Trim Protectant-Ultima Tire/Trim Care
Wheel Detail Spray-Blackfire Polymer Spray
Scratch Remover-Menzerna SIP and 085rd
any other useful tools/product-Daytona Wheel Brush

brawl
07-19-2012, 07:22 PM
If I will start again and I have a brand new car, price is my main consideration. So I buy these products and just perfect my washing (and cleaning) methods in order to preserve the condition of the car:

Interior Cleaner - Megs Quik Interior Detailer and APC+
Wax- Collinite 915
Tire Shine - PERL
Black Trim Protectant - PERL
Wheel Detail Spray - Optiseal (But I will consider Opti-Coat)
Scratch Remover - ScratchX and Optimum Finish Polish. (I will definitely save money for a DA first. Even if I only have one car, It's worth it.)
Any other useful tools/product - Grit Guards, Wash Mitts, Waffle Weave Towels, MF Towels, Wheel Brushes, Detailing Brushes.

DaveT435
07-19-2012, 07:32 PM
You might also consider opti coat 2.0 or Gtechniq crystal lacquer and silo seal to help keep that new look.

ScionTc
07-19-2012, 07:54 PM
if its a new just use maguiars products, i use them on my daily driver and works out fine for me. and i always have my car out in the sun since i dont have a garage. maguiars is cheaper and once you get the hang of it then you could go up to professional products.

ScionTc
07-19-2012, 07:55 PM
also if your to confortable with the power tools yet just try by hand to get a feel of it first then use power tools

Wheelzntoys
07-19-2012, 08:15 PM
UWW+, D120, lots of microfibers, FK425

Wayneezy
07-19-2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the replies guys !!! Keep them coming. I know nothing about detailing so i have no clue what to use on my new truck or even how to use them. I just want it to look new and want to make sure im using good product and correctly.

The items im more concerned with now is interior spray the black trim stuff and anything to keep it looking new outside. Again im a total noob so any help is great help !

Wayneezy
07-19-2012, 08:50 PM
oh with the scratch stuff i want something good just in case. Ive had some small scratching ive already used the Maguiars OTC stuff but i want really good product.