PDA

View Full Version : Starting out with detailing & my website

FlgStudios
07-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Well I finally decided to try & make some money on the side with detailing. I haven't gotten any portfolio pictures since I've only done personal cars, do you guys think I should do some free basic details to get some pictures?

Here's my website:
Flg Auto | Central Florida Auto Detailer (http://www.FlgAuto.co.cc)

Anyways the products I use:
Griots 6" DA
Griots 3" DA
Meguiars D151 AIO
Mothers California Gold Clay Bar
Duragloss Aquawax #951
Mothers FX Wheel & Tire Cleaner
Mothers FX Engineered Tire Shine
Lake Country Pads
Meguiars PlastX
Meguiars Headlight Protectant
Eurogem QV6 Steamer
Many Microfibers
Variety of brushes

I'm thinking adding more services later on like 3 step using M105, M205 & I'm not sure what kind of wax I want, what's the best wax that doesn't break the bank for a starter like me?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Bryce

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-19-2012, 11:27 AM
do you guys think I should do some free basic details to get some pictures?
I don't think that's really necessary. I thought about it, but detailing is hard work and long hours. If you were going to do free jobs, I would do family members/friends cars as a favor. (maybe in exchange for a nice dinner/drinks?)

I'm thinking adding more services later on like 3 step using M105, M205 & I'm not sure what kind of wax I want, what's the best wax that doesn't break the bank for a starter like me?

You will get tons of different answers as to what wax works well. I myself like Optimum Car Wax. It is a spray wax/sealant that works great. You need VERY LITTLE to do a car, (I used probably less than 1oz. to do a mid-size car. 3 weeks after using it and the car being rained on many times, it still looks great.

FlgStudios
07-19-2012, 11:40 AM
I don't think that's really necessary. I thought about it, but detailing is hard work and long hours. If you were going to do free jobs, I would do family members/friends cars as a favor. (maybe in exchange for a nice dinner/drinks?)

You will get tons of different answers as to what wax works well. I myself like Optimum Car Wax. It is a spray wax/sealant that works great. You need VERY LITTLE to do a car, (I used probably less than 1oz. to do a mid-size car. 3 weeks after using it and the car being rained on many times, it still looks great.

Thanks for the reply.
Good idea on the family detail barter.
My sister got a 2011 Blue Flame (amazing color) Ford Fiesta recently I'll ask her if she wants a detail for a steak dinner.

That blue should show amazing gloss.

I heard a lot about that Optimum wax on the forums.
I'll read some more about it.

-Bryce

Perfections
07-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Collinite 845 for details, optimum car wax for your maintenance customers.

FlgStudios
07-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the input Perfections.

When I start doing multi-stage corrections I'll check that wax out.

-Bryce

AutowerxDetailing
07-19-2012, 03:17 PM
I like the website layout. Very easy to navigate. Good job.

FlgStudios
07-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks Nicholas, that's what I was aiming for.

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-19-2012, 08:27 PM
I don't mean to make your corn flakes soggy, but after looking at your detailing services, don't you think $120 is a bit too much for a basic wash & wax? (just exterior)

The average person can get that done at the local mexican car wash for $30. The thing that separates a true pro detailer is the use of clay and machine. For $120-150, someone should expect at least an AIO polish applied by machine, (of course after claying) and a quick vacuuming of the car.

I'm basing my insights on what I see other detailers charging, as well as car washes. I just don't see how you'll get that kind of money for what amounts to a basic wash and wax that most people could do in an hour or two. I not trying to tell you what to do, and more power to you if people pay it. Just my opinion, that's all.

I'd like to hear what others think.

FlgStudios
07-19-2012, 08:32 PM
I don't mean to make your corn flakes soggy, but after looking at your detailing services, don't you think $120 is a bit too much for a basic wash & wax? (just exterior)

The average person can get that done at the local mexican car wash for $30. The thing that separates a true pro detailer is the use of clay and machine. For $120-150, someone should expect at least an AIO polish applied by machine, (of course after claying) and a quick vacuuming of the car.

I'm basing my insights on what I see other detailers charging, as well as car washes. I just don't see how you'll get that kind of money for what amounts to a basic wash and wax that most people could do in an hour or two. I not trying to tell you what to do, and more power to you if people pay it. Just my opinion, that's all.

I'd like to hear what others think.

I've been trying to find a base price system for all services.
All input in appreciated.

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-19-2012, 09:07 PM
I've been trying to find a base price system for all services.
All input in appreciated.
I'm sure there are many variables involved in pricing. I am a beginning professional myself, and don't claim to have all the answers. I only said what I said based on what I see others charging. One thing I do know, is you'll be hard pressed to get customers to pay $120 for an exterior wash and wax.

My basic package starts at $99. It's exterior only, and includes wash, clay, then a slightly abrasive AIO polish to remove very light swirls applied by machine. For $139, they get all of that plus interior. (vacuum, windows, wipe down interior) Steam cleaning is $25 extra.

But that's just me. Everyone varies a bit. I just found yours to be a bit too far off the beaten path. Then again, maybe I'm the crazy one who's under charging. (along with a few others) I just think that there has to be a little wow factor if you're charging over $100.

dwlinc23
08-04-2012, 04:28 AM
I'm not liking am interior as an add on. I offer several packages which an interior is separate. That way they can get together or separate. If a client get both services, I offer a discount.

Sent from my DROID3 using AG Online