PDA

View Full Version : Removing LSP

ttnguyen104
07-18-2012, 11:50 PM
I was wondering the best way to remove LSP. I live in a condo so I do not have access to running water. I can only do rinseless and waterless wash. Would it be best to do ONRv3 than clay and use a product such asGriot's Garage Paint Prep to remove LSP before doing any thing such as swirl remover and sealant/wax?

Thanks

rider9195
07-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online!

My preferred method is to wash my car. Then clay the entire car. Doing this step will degrade you LSP majorly. If you plan on using a swirl remover that will remove any remaining LSP. But let's say you just want a fresh coat of wax. You can use a non abrasive paint cleaner to remove the previous LSP and then follow with your sealant or wax.

ttnguyen104
07-19-2012, 12:51 AM
Welcome to Autogeek Online!

My preferred method is to wash my car. Then clay the entire car. Doing this step will degrade you LSP majorly. If you plan on using a swirl remover that will remove any remaining LSP. But let's say you just want a fresh coat of wax. You can use a non abrasive paint cleaner to remove the previous LSP and then follow with your sealant or wax.

thanks rider!
Do you recommend any particular paint cleaner?

umi000
07-19-2012, 04:26 AM
If you're going to be polishing anyway, I don't see any need to strip the LSP beforehand (except for the rare case where it might degrade the polishing step, which I've read can happen, though rarely). If you're stripping because you want to apply a new LSP, I'd use a paint cleaner.

Mike Phillips
07-19-2012, 06:02 AM
I was wondering the best way to remove LSP.

If the last LSP you used was a traditional wax or paint sealant, keep in mind these types of coatings wear off naturally with time, so there might not be as much on as you think.

The other thing to keep in mind is if you're going to polish or abrade the paint, any polish strong enough to remove swirls, i.e. remove paint will also remove any micron or sub-micron layer of wax or sealant with the first pass of the polisher.

In other words, removing the LSP before polishing is a non-issue. Just wash, clay and move onto your polishing step.

:)

ttnguyen104
07-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Well I'm planning to do both ways on 2 different cars. One is older is250 and has been neglected and one is a month old mdx. So it was sort of a combine question. I assume for the Is250 would not need to worry about removing LSP while the mdx is new and I'm not sure what lsp is currently on it from the dealership.

Sent from my HTC One X using AG Online

h83d
07-19-2012, 07:58 AM
For is250 above suggestion will work, for mdx I think any AIO will work after wash & claying, then LSP... any comment gurus :xyxthumbs:

KneeDragr
07-19-2012, 08:10 AM
If you are looking for a paint cleaner for the MDX, I would suggest P21s paint cleansing lotion. I use it on my Corvette before applying a new LSP and it works great.
The IS250 probably needs a polish, so you could probably skip it and just go clay->polish.

swanicyouth
07-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Id like to just throw this out there for comment. A lot of paint cleaners (including P21S) have clay in them. Should we be not using these type of cleaners when using a sealant afterwards? Will the clay mess up sealant bonding. Is the clay in there as a minor abrasive or a filler?

ttnguyen104
07-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Id like to just throw this out there for comment. A lot of paint cleaners (including P21S) have clay in them. Should we be not using these type of cleaners when using a sealant afterwards? Will the clay mess up sealant bonding. Is the clay in there as a minor abrasive or a filler?

I believe the clay is in there is to help remove any residue contaminants off the top of the surface

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ttnguyen104
07-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Just more information the mdx is grigio (grayish metallic color with a brown tint) and I'm planning to go with wash clay paint cleaner than cg blacklight /v7 topped with 845.

The is250 is white and I'm planning to do what richy showed me is wash clay most likely needs iron x and than duragloss 501/601 than duragloss 105/601 topped with 845 as well. I heard really great things about duragloss on white paint.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2