PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with my calipers!

Pages : [1] 2

Drunken Yak inc
07-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Ladies and gentleman, I need your help!

First, let me introduce myself,

My name is Beck, and I have an addiction. There. I feel better all ready. Now down to business.

Tonight, I modified a process in the way I detail my rims, tires and brake calipers. Normally, I would just put my car on jack stands and remove the rims to properly clean them and the calipers (and my Tein coilovers on occasion). However last time I did that, I didn't have the jack seated properly on the center cross member, which caused the jack to slip and do this:

(Bent upper and lower radiator supports)
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee411/DrunkenYakinc/eb7d90bd.jpg

Having just replaced those damaged bits, and not wanting to have a repeat, I decided to use Griots Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner and their wheel cleaning tools to clean my rims, granted a little over kill as I've only driven this car maybe 15 miles since my last cleaning (this passed weekend)... But I was anxious to use this product. Here is the result of using that product:

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee411/DrunkenYakinc/b3f9b07c.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee411/DrunkenYakinc/812c62bb.jpg

Any ideas on what it is exactly I'm dealing with here? At first I thought it was a film, and I tried using a mild cleaner with a rag, however that was only a minor improvement:

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee411/DrunkenYakinc/23319ef3.jpg

The flash makes it appear to be better then what it is (on top). Any ideas as to why this has happened? I want to believe that it is just a reaction to the coating of wax I had previously applied to them... And that if I strip said wax everything will be okay... But the way my luck has been going lately I may be looking at a refinish. Oh, and it should be noted that these calipers are 7-months old with around 2,000 miles on them. Last cleaning agent used was Wolfgang Auto Bathe.

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

Agfan
07-18-2012, 10:15 PM
It was probably from the wheel cleaner. Try some polish an see if it removes it at all. May take a bit I elbow grease but it should remove it.

DaveT435
07-18-2012, 10:22 PM
I probably would have left the first part of that story off the site. lol

rider9195
07-18-2012, 10:26 PM
It was probably from the wheel cleaner. Try some polish an see if it removes it at all. May take a bit I elbow grease but it should remove it.

:iagree:

Just looks like the finish on the calipers is sensitive, so I would be careful around them.

Drunken Yak inc
07-18-2012, 10:36 PM

I hope your right, I will not be happy if I have to strip and repaint.

I probably would have left the first part of that story off the site. lol

Eh, I just wanted to explain why I changed my method of wheel cleaning. We all make mistakes, if I can't laugh at my own bouts of stupidity, then I have no right laughing at others. :xyxthumbs:

Drunken Yak inc
07-18-2012, 10:41 PM
:iagree:

Just looks like the finish on the calipers is sensitive, so I would be careful around them.

I just can't imagine why a company would have such a weak coating on an object that is designed for such brutal environments? If that is in fact the case, does anyone know if Brembo's finish is more resilient? Is there a cleaner that you would recommend?

Agfan
07-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Get them powder coated!!!!!!

DaveT435
07-19-2012, 07:12 AM
Eh, I just wanted to explain why I changed my method of wheel cleaning. We all make mistakes, if I can't laugh at my own bouts of stupidity, then I have no right laughing at others. :xyxthumbs:
Just having a little fun. It's not like I don't have my share of oops's. lol :poke:

Mike Phillips
07-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Remove the wheel and try to hand polish the paint.

Chances are good it's single stage and more porous than a clear coat finish and thus easily stained.

Use a cleaner/wax maybe and then seal or Opti-Coat or....

:)

Klasse Act
07-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Most EVO VIII's and IX's have "pink" calipers that were once red, its not the wheel cleaner, its the process Brembo uses to powder coat the calipers. I agree, try and hand polish them out and see how it goes.

brlukosk
07-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Hey man, at least the jack didnt slip while you were under the car.. Close one!

It looks almost as if the finish has been clouded by a chemical reaction. As the others say, try some polish and see if it improves.

rider9195
07-19-2012, 09:57 AM
I just can't imagine why a company would have such a weak coating on an object that is designed for such brutal environments? If that is in fact the case, does anyone know if Brembo's finish is more resilient? Is there a cleaner that you would recommend?

The Brembo's on my car have held up to many wheel cleaners and APC's. I have used a very fine polish on them once and it made them look a little more cleaner.

Agfan
07-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Yeah I done plenty of Evo's with heavy wheel cleaners and never had a problem. Also they are not powder coated. They use cheap clearcoat on them. Heat+plus cheap cc= pealing.

Drunken Yak inc
07-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate your help! I'll try buffing them tonight and let you all know how it went.

FPEvo
07-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Not to be a downer. But inless Stoptech does something differently, you might/probably have to get them repainted. Owning 2 Evo's, ive been through this and when they get hot or old, it fades and turns pink. Nothing was able to bring them back. I use sonax on all the wheel stuff, followed by either OCW or 845.