PDA

View Full Version : Hey all you frequent waxers I have a "?"

Sommy
07-18-2012, 07:59 PM
The carnuba on my car is only about a month old but I would like to wax again to get a nice shine coat. Besides wax seems to last 2-4 months. I'm just a little early.

Do I have to strip off the remaining wax that is on the car now? Or can I just wash and rewax? On a related note i applied Blackfire WD and a coat of Meg's gold class carnuba about a month ago when the car was brand new? Does the sealant make a difference? The car is a metallic light grey.

embolism
07-18-2012, 08:08 PM
if it's wax you want to reapply then wash and apply. If you want to try out a new sealant however then I'd strip and maybe use a paint cleaner first.

Do you use any spray waxes? OCW and DG aquawax are a couple good ones. If you want to get that freshly waxed look in half the time, especially since your base protection is still fine, then try a spraywax after your next wash as part of the drying step or after the car is mostly dry...

Bunky
07-20-2012, 05:46 PM
I would just reapply the wax - after 6 months considered starting from scratch.

DrMark
07-22-2012, 05:21 PM
I agree with Spray Wax idea. As I wash every 2 weeks or so, doing a complete re-wax on a Ford Expedition is not my greatest idea of fun...lol. Griots Spray Wax (with its drying agent) allows me to do do my truck in under 15 mins.

Tinwhiskers
07-22-2012, 07:38 PM
I've never had a problem putting wax over clean wax. Some waxes are even designed for that such as CG's Butter Wet Wax.

RMM
07-22-2012, 07:55 PM
if it's wax you want to reapply then wash and apply. If you want to try out a new sealant however then I'd strip and maybe use a paint cleaner first.

Do you use any spray waxes? OCW and DG aquawax are a couple good ones. If you want to get that freshly waxed look in half the time, especially since your base protection is still fine, then try a spraywax after your next wash as part of the drying step or after the car is mostly dry...

:iagree:

Wax over wax / wax over sealant / sealant over sealant - yes
Sealant over wax - no

There are some exceptions but this is the general rule.

shoeless89
07-23-2012, 08:33 AM
I really enjoy hand applying my ever growing wax collection but I strip my LSP and start fresh every 3 or so applications OR if I want to see a new wax's durability, looks, application etc. by its self.

rweekley
07-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Sweet:props:. This just answered a questioned I had. I spent a whole day going through the whole process this last weekend, claying, then UC, UP and NXT 2.0. Started around 8:00 AM and finished up around 5:00 PM Saturday. Got a little too much sun, even though it was overcast. My truck looks sweet though. But I was wanting to put a coat of wax on it Sunday, but didn't feel up to it. But this answered my question.:dblthumb2: