PDA

View Full Version : Door Jams

Pages : [1] 2

kastanaras
04-06-2007, 05:51 AM
Just wanting to know what is best product to use to clean them and is it worth giving them a good polishing and wax.

Also want to know what are peoples techniques at cleaning door jams including the boot jam.

White95DodgeRam
04-06-2007, 05:58 AM
purple power and a tooth brush is generally what i used then rinse with a water hose and shoot em with meguiars nxt insane shine for tires thats my personal perferance

BILL
04-06-2007, 06:06 AM
purple power and a tooth brush is generally what i used then rinse with a water hose and shoot em with meguiars nxt insane shine for tires thats my personal perferance

I treat jambs, fender, and trunk edges the same as the outside.

except machining, they get polished , sealed and waxed by hand.......

joe.p
04-06-2007, 06:08 AM
the answer to your question would depend on how dirty/greasy the door jams are if theres light dust PBs S&W or DG FC&S ,if there is grease near the door hinges try a APC 10:1 if thats isn't enough kick up the dilution ratio and be sure to dress/treat the rubber when youe finished..

as bill stated seal or wax by hand..
DG Aqua Wax would be an easy pruduct for the task.

sparkie
04-06-2007, 06:13 AM
the answer to your question would depend on how dirty/greasy the door jams are if theres light dust PBs S&W or DG FC&S ,if there is grease near the door hinges try a APC 10:1 if thats isn't enough kick up the dilution ratio and be sure to dress/treat the rubber when youe finished..

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

kastanaras
04-06-2007, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, I am thinking of buying 1gal of APC and seems like a good product at a good price.

So if I spray this onto the dirty parts of the door jams what would you guys recommend cleaning them such as old microfibre, old rag or something else seeing as just spraying them won't remove alot of the stuff.

Once they are clean and dry just apply some sort of dressing to plastics and rubber.

Also should I rely more on cleaning them by spraying them and cleaning them with something or spraying them and then hitting them hard with strong water pressure.

Gary Sword
04-06-2007, 06:19 AM
Like Bill I also treat door jans just like the outside paint. I always keep them clean and never let them get too bad on my cars. I recently AIO before sealing and waxing my door jams and it does a nice job cleaning them up before sealing. I also have to agree with White95DodgeRam on the Toothbrush. An old toothbrush works great for getting in tight places and cleaning dirt and wax around emblems on the outside of the car.

ScottB
04-06-2007, 06:26 AM
I use the qd-er+ that Im using on paint and wheels, just an easy wipe and they always look new and slick as can be.

joe.p
04-06-2007, 06:31 AM
kastanaras, is it possible to upload a pic so we can see what your working with ,this will help us better evaluate your situation and give you proper direction..

if you have grease in your door jams you will want to remove it by hand before spraying it down to try to eliminate grease form running down your door jams and on your floor,the same process for caked on dirt once you acheive this spray on your APC let it sit for a few minutes to dissolve the dirt if you like take a 2nd spray bottle with warm water to spray /rinse the section then remove the left over debris with a grunge MF until the surface meets your expectations ,you might need several towels depending how soiled the area is..

kastanaras
04-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Well don't have camera at the moment but one car is 1yr old mitsubishi lancer black and other is 10yr old c-class mercedes dark blue.

The 1yr car has pretty clean door jams just little grease around hinges and few dirty marks on main parts of door jam which won't be hard to get off but the grease is the main problem want removed.

Same as 1yr old car the 10yr old mercedes has alot of grease around hinges and also different parts of door jam, how on other parts other then hinges idk.

So my main problem is just removing grease and also wanting to know best way to clean the front door at the hinges which most people know is hardest spot on a car to clean seeing as not much light and tight gap.

Craig
04-06-2007, 09:32 AM
On real bad ones I have use kerosene with a tooth brush to remove grease and oil. I put a oil drain pan under the hinge area to catch the dirty kerosene as it runs off the door and hinges. Then a 1 1/2 inch paint brush and APC to remove anything thats left. The trick is not to let it get to the point of being a pita to clean. Then some wax, a little clean gease on the hinge pins ( I don't use the spray lube because it goes everywhere) looks new again. The easy way to get the grease back to the hinge pin without over doing it is to use a grease gun with a needle tip. Another part most never do, the bottom of the door on the inside. I clean and wax these. Where I live winter salt hides under there, needs to be remove or your door bottom will rust.

ltoman
04-06-2007, 10:42 AM

saw purple power yesterday at az - never noticed before. any good? you are referring to their carwash?

YankeeFan
04-06-2007, 10:51 AM

What is used to dress/treat the rubber?

Howard

Black Diamond
04-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Any good vinyl and rubber cleaner/portectant will do. Something like #303, Meg's #39 or 40. Some even have used dielectric silicone grease.

ltoman
04-06-2007, 11:54 AM
gosh from the title i couldn't figure out what you meant - door james/ but you meant door jams - or is it jambs? but i got it. duh. hee hee