PDA

View Full Version : Poorboys SSR Question

Pages : [1] 2

Forced
04-05-2007, 09:47 PM
I joined the forum a few days ago and have been searching around for some info on swirl removers and the SRR line, but I still have a few questions. First question is, I already have SSR 2.5 but I've been reading that people follow up with the SSR 1, I don't have SSR but do have poorboys polish with carnuba wax. Now should I buy the SSR1 or can I just go from the SSR 2.5 to the polish then ex-p?

ltoman
04-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Sure you can go from the SSR 2.5 to wax; it has just been shown by kllr that if you follow with the lower number, it gets out the micromarring that may be induced, and henceforth the vehicle may look better. Try it and see if you like it; if not, I would be willing to send you a small sample of ssr1 - I say small because I only have a small amount left. I boought someeone's mostly used collection earlier to try 'em out.
Hope this hellps. It is a nice line.
Lauren

dengood1
04-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Yes, you could go to the Poorboys PwC after the SSR2.5. I believe PwS is a light polish. Just remember to use a finesse pad or polishing pad, not a cutting pad for the PwS.

Forced
04-05-2007, 10:02 PM
Well hopefully I'll get to try it out tomorrow. So if I had the SSR 1, then would I still use the polish? Or would it be useless? Also what pads would I use on an SSR 1 then? Thanks for the offer of a sample, if I decide I'm not happy and want the SSR1 I think I'll just order it from AG they ship from only like an hour north of me so it gets here fast. Thanks for the help too.

ltoman
04-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Well hopefully I'll get to try it out tomorrow. So if I had the SSR 1, then would I still use the polish? Or would it be useless? Also what pads would I use on an SSR 1 then? Thanks for the offer of a sample, if I decide I'm not happy and want the SSR1 I think I'll just order it from AG they ship from only like an hour north of me so it gets here fast. Thanks for the help too.

With LC pads, you use white - Edge, I do not know.

Forced
04-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Duh I forgot to list the pads I have, Wolfgang Concours Series. That means Orange for SSR2.5, then a non cutting for SSR1? That would be the white then.

ltoman
04-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Duh I forgot to list the pads I have, Wolfgang Concours Series. That means Orange for SSR2.5, then a non cutting for SSR1? That would be the white then.
Wolfgang are LC. White is low level cut. Blue is non cut. Make sense?:grouphug:

Forced
04-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Wolfgang are LC. White is low level cut. Blue is non cut. Make sense?:grouphug:
Ah I didn't know that. Ok that makes sense now then. Since it's still a polishing pad then I would use that with the Poorboys PwC, then blue for ex-p. If I got that right I think that answers my questions.

budman3
04-05-2007, 10:17 PM
I'll suggest using white pads for both SSR2.5 and Polish with Carnauba. This way you won't induce any micromarring into the paint from a cutting pad. The polishing pad and SSR2.5 should result in a good finish, depending on the condition ahead of time. Remember NOT to use any QD or water to prime your pad. Crank the speed up to 6, work the product in and admire the results. Use a thin bead of product around the pad for each panel. Then go to PwC with a polishing pad on speed 5. Then you can go with your EX-P.

The PwC with a polishing pad will clear up any light marring left over.

ltoman
04-05-2007, 10:19 PM
I'll suggest using white pads for both SSR2.5 and Polish with Carnauba. This way you won't induce any micromarring into the paint from a cutting pad. The polishing pad and SSR2.5 should result in a good finish, depending on the condition ahead of time. Remember NOT to use any QD or water to prime your pad. Crank the speed up to 6, work the product in and admire the results. Use a thin bead of product around the pad for each panel. Then go to PwC with a polishing pad on speed 5. Then you can go with your EX-P.

Yo Budman3,
Why no primer on the pad?
Lauren:)

Forced
04-05-2007, 10:20 PM

Prob a Stupid question here but what is micromarring?

dengood1
04-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Ah I didn't know that. Ok that makes sense now then. Since it's still a polishing pad then I would use that with the Poorboys PwC, then blue for ex-p. If I got that right I think that answers my questions.

About Poorboys PwC taken from AG's website: This product is for vehicles in good condition. If your car needs some extra attention, precede this step with one of Poorboy’s abrasive Swirl Removers or Professional Polish.

So the answer is yes, you can do without the SSR1, unless needed. The PwC is NOT very aggressive and is more of a deep cleaner. SSR's ARE polishes as with all Swirl Removers. Some are more abrasive than others and require a finishing polish with a finishing pad to really amp up the shine and remove micromarring from the abrasives. Use the softest pad and lightest polish combo first....it may be all you need. If that doesn't work, move up to a cutting pad and more abrasive polish, then move to a finishing polish/pad combo. You'll be fine with SSR2.5 with orange pad, then finish up with the PwC and a white or grey pad. Then the blue with EXP(or apply by hand). Hope this helps:cheers:

budman3
04-05-2007, 10:23 PM
The SSRs don't react well to water or QD, a lot of people make this mistake and get dusting issues. A good fix to this is by priming the pad with the product itself.

Micromarring is small swirls left in the paint from agressive pads or products. Sometimes it is hard to remove so using a white pad with the SSR2.5 is a good idea to minimize this.

ltoman
04-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Prob a Stupid question here but what is micromarring?

There are no stupid questions!!!!
It is like light marks that keep the paint from looking flawless ...maybe i failed to describe that well.
Someone else feel free to chime in.

Forced
04-05-2007, 10:31 PM
About Poorboys PwC taken from AG's website: This product is for vehicles in good condition. If your car needs some extra attention, precede this step with one of Poorboy’s abrasive Swirl Removers or Professional Polish.

So the answer is yes, you can do without the SSR1, unless needed. The PwC is NOT very aggressive and is more of a deep cleaner. SSR's ARE polishes as with all Swirl Removers. Some are more abrasive than others and require a finishing polish with a finishing pad to really amp up the shine and remove micromarring from the abrasives. Use the softest pad and lightest polish combo first....it may be all you need. If that doesn't work, move up to a cutting pad and more abrasive polish, then move to a finishing polish/pad combo. You'll be fine with SSR2.5 with orange pad, then finish up with the PwC and a white or grey pad. Then the blue with EXP(or apply by hand). Hope this helps:cheers:
Ah ok that helps a lot now I understand more about the SSR's, thanks for the info

There are no stupid questions!!!!
It is like light marks that keep the paint from looking flawless ...maybe i failed to describe that well.
Someone else feel free to chime in.
Ok then I maybe I should do what budman3 said and go with white for the ssr2.5, if that dosent work good enough then I can always go back with an orange.