PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Seal cuting time before Wax

Lean69
07-16-2012, 03:18 PM
So the car is only a month old with a pretty good dealer prep actually, seems like they sealed it top to bottom before I took it home.

However once of these day when I get some time on my hands I'd like to try out a few products which are new to me.

Process as follows:

1. Wash with Meguiars NXT shampoo (I have a lot of it left over that I'd like to use up) with 2 bucket method of course.
2. Dry using a blower and guzzler HD for remainng
3. Claybar meguiars and XMT lube
4 XMT 360 on a (soft) green LC pad using Porter Cable.
5 Wipe off remaining residue (can I use Wolfgang Sprint to assist?)
6 Opti-Seal
7 Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax using red pad on Porter Cable and buff off.

-Would you guys suggest any steps in between?
-How long do I need to wait for Opti-seal to cure before topping it with wax? (I cant seem to find this info anywhere)

Thank you for your help!

PS cant edit subject. Ment to be Curing* time

Vegas Transplant
07-16-2012, 05:53 PM

If you apply the 360 properly, there will barely be any residue left behind.
If using too much, or, on a cleaned pad that has residue from previous product, then you might
have residue and gumming issue.

There are aficionados here that claim all of the differing polymers that you're planning to use will not play well together. Others seem not to have any issues.

Mc'lovin
07-16-2012, 06:14 PM
4 XMT 360 on a (soft) green LC pad using Porter Cable.

Hey,

Your process seems solid, however I sure hope you are referring to an XMT 360 paint-cleanser product, and not to XMT 360 Spray wax.

Regarding the curing time - I found it hard as well to find an official answer. From what I read, if you want to be on the safe side - Let it cure for 12-24 hours. However this advice was given when older versions were out there.
I hope Chris from Optimum will come through with the right advice :)

rider9195
07-16-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm not sure how the Opti Seal will work over the XMT 360 AIO. Hopefully someone else can chime in about that. I would skip the Souveran. Pretty much making the Opti Seal useless.

But I would wait 12 hours before topping if you would like to.

That is all my opinions though.

Vegas Transplant
07-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Chris Thomas from the Optimumforums.org Posted 15 May 12 @ 10:04 Post # 2

It will flash to clear in a couple of minutes, cross link and cure over 12-24 hours.
You can layer it over itself or with Optimum Car Wax after about an hour. These two products are compatible, I'm not sure how other brands would perform in this time frame.

Post # 2 from OP Jedi_Master('s) question:

What is the cure time for Opti-Seal?

Chris Thomas
07-16-2012, 09:33 PM
For this specific regime, I would wait 24 hours before topping with a paste wax. Or you could use the OS as a topper immediately after removing the residue for the wax and it will reposition under it. Opti Seal will bond fine over the 360. I've been playing around with spraying OS through an aerosol sprayer and letting it fully dry before buffing any remaining residue and I think this would be ideal when topping a wax with OS so not to remove any wax while applying the sealant.

Lean69
07-17-2012, 06:18 AM
For this specific regime, I would wait 24 hours before topping with a paste wax. Or you could use the OS as a topper immediately after removing the residue for the wax and it will reposition under it. Opti Seal will bond fine over the 360. I've been playing around with spraying OS through an aerosol sprayer and letting it fully dry before buffing any remaining residue and I think this would be ideal when topping a wax with OS so not to remove any wax while applying the sealant.

Let me see if I understand this correctly.

Paste wax can be allied 24hrs. after OS. However I can switch proceedures and wax first, then follow with OS on top of the wax?

Hey,

Your process seems solid, however I sure hope you are referring to an XMT 360 paint-cleanser product, and not to XMT 360 Spray wax.

Regarding the curing time - I found it hard as well to find an official answer. From what I read, if you want to be on the safe side - Let it cure for 12-24 hours. However this advice was given when older versions were out there.

I hope Chris from Optimum will come through with the right advice

-Yes Im using 360 AIO not 360 spray wax

If you apply the 360 properly, there will barely be any residue left behind.

If using too much, or, on a cleaned pad that has residue from previous product, then you might

have residue and gumming issue.

There are aficionados here that claim all of the differing polymers that you're planning to use will not play well together. Others seem not to have any issues.

-In my past experience 360 does dissapear (99%) some dusting left over and I was talking about just wiping that off.