PDA

View Full Version : Liquid products expiry date?

Mc'lovin
07-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Hi all,

Six months (give or take) have passed since I got into the detailing realm, and I have stocked up so many products since...

I now got to thinking - I have different compounds, polishes, glazes, sealants etc. which will probably last several lifetimes - But do they have a much shorter shelf life?

Given that they are all stored in a cool dry area, not exposed to extreme temperature changes, can they last for many years like paste waxes (~10-20 years), or are we talking about much less?

oldgeek
07-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Good question... and does that 10-20 years for paste wax still apply to the new waxes with an abundance of polymers?

Mike Phillips
07-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Store them in a place that doesn't experience extremes in temperature change, that is extreme cold or extreme heat and be sure to always shake, shake shake any liquids before using.

I have products from the early 1930's and 1940's that still work just fine...

See this thread,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/24630-shelf-life.html

There's even a picture of products that are common now back when the chemists gave them to me in Lab Sample Bottles, from the laboratory.

The M205 in the quart was also mixed at the lab and is not production product.

For this particular project, I actually took a good selection of both old and new technology because this automobile had both antique single stage lacquer paint and modern basecoat/clearcoat panels. The doors, roof, hood cowl, and rear light components were all single stage, the main body and fenders were basecoat/clearcoat.

All of the antique products appeared to be completely fine to use and the antique can of M16 Professional Paste Wax was not only in perfect condition but this can has never been used and never even broken-in.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/648/NewAndOldTechnology01.jpg

:)

yakky
07-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Temperature stable is the key, preferably in cool conditions. Temperature swings, even if moderate seem to kill stuff for me. I have stuff going back 10 years and its still good.

swanicyouth
07-16-2012, 04:04 PM
How cool is cool? I have a hot garage and was thinking of buying a mini fridge to store some more expensive wax in. I'm thinking warmest setting?

yakky
07-16-2012, 04:22 PM
I would say 55-70 degrees is probably your best bet, though you could push slightly out of that range.

Mc'lovin
07-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Store them in a place that doesn't experience extremes in temperature change, that is extreme cold or extreme heat and be sure to always shake, shake shake any liquids before using.

I have products from the early 1930's and 1940's that still work just fine...

Many thanks for the useful info Mike! Pics are also cool... :)

Temperature stable is the key, preferably in cool conditions. Temperature swings, even if moderate seem to kill stuff for me. I have stuff going back 10 years and its still good.

Thanks!

I too am thinking about purchasing a wine fridge, designated to keep everything cool at all times. Where I live the outside temperature during summer are around the high 90s and during winter are around 35-50, and I have no idea what's the temp inside the house, so I rather be just on the safe side.

Does that sound crazy?

Old Tiger
07-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Many thanks for the useful info Mike! Pics are also cool... :)

Thanks!

I too am thinking about purchasing a wine fridge, designated to keep everything cool at all times. Where I live the outside temperature during summer are around the high 90s and during winter are around 35-50, and I have no idea what's the temp inside the house, so I rather be just on the safe side.

Does that sound crazy?
Keep them inside with climate control and they will be fine! A wine fridge indoors is way overkill IMO.

Mc'lovin
07-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Keep them inside with climate control and they will be fine! A wine fridge indoors is way overkill IMO.

Unfortunately I don't have an air conditioner where I store the products (can't store them where there is one), and I wouldn't want to leave the air conditioner on all day just for this... kind of expensive for this cause.
I have read that a thermo-electric wine chiller (no engine) consumes low levels of electricity, and it can remain on a stable temp around the high 60s which is what I need.

Am interested to know why you thing it will be an overkill.

Armenakadino
07-16-2012, 06:31 PM
I already tried the wine cooler in a garage there useless they are not able to cool themselves down in a hot garage.

Mc'lovin
07-16-2012, 06:34 PM
I already tried the wine cooler in a garage there useless they are not able to cool themselves down in a hot garage.

Good advice, however the products aren't stored at the garage (I don't have one ;) ) but inside one of the rooms in the house which is used as a basic storage room. In any case, it's not near as hot as in a garage.

swanicyouth
07-16-2012, 06:56 PM

I was looking at a mini fridge for about $100.00. That should do it???

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-17-2012, 02:57 AM
I was looking at a mini fridge for about $100.00. That should do it???
Do you have a basement? It's usually pretty cool down there. But I guess a fridge would work, and you could probably keep it on the warmest setting and not use much energy.

I keep mine in an air conditioned house.