PDA

View Full Version : Spray wax for tires?

FishyX
07-15-2012, 03:18 PM
I've always used 303 on my tires. Love the natural looking results and the dust repelling ability but it just never seems to last very long. Seems like I've read about people having decent luck using certain spray waxes on tires. Anyone here do this on a regular basis? Was thinking of trying some DG Aquawax the next time I do my tires.

BobbyG
07-15-2012, 03:26 PM
If you're looking for durability give CarPro PERL a try. Ultima Tire & Trim Guard is another option and both will leaves the tire with a rich satin sheen....:props:

knightmare000
07-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Perl will be on my next order. :hungry:
UTTG was a bit sticky to me.

Wax for tires? Maybe Tryromania-Dodo?

Nick McKees37
07-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Give Optimum Tire Shine (http://www.autogeek.net/opt500.html) a spray. Make sure you thoroughly clean the tires first with Optimum Power Clean (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-power-clean-apc.html). That should easily yield 2-3 weeks of a low-gloss, classy looking finish.

MadMerc
07-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Perl will be on my next order. :hungry:
UTTG was a bit sticky to me.

Wax for tires? Maybe Tryromania-Dodo?

Tyromania is my personal favorite. But it is a pain to use in warmer weather.

mswerb
07-15-2012, 07:15 PM
I just bought some Turtle Wax dressing with wax out of curiousity. Seemed to last, but was very watery.

brlukosk
07-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Duragloss non-silicone dressing works well, lasts quite a while too. Great for the not too shiny but still dark look.

http://img.tapatalk.com/61581316-63e6-cd99.jpg

I use it on plastic trim as well.

http://img.tapatalk.com/61581316-6538-3d93.jpg

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

JAF06SE
07-15-2012, 08:04 PM
I just bought some Turtle Wax dressing with wax out of curiousity. Seemed to last, but was very watery.

I've used that as well. Wasn't a fan. If you have access to it, try Lucas Oil Slick Mist. It's for tires and trim. It's water based so it won't harm anything and works great. Just make sure you clean your tires very well before you apply otherwise they won't absorb it.

glen e
07-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Stoners more shine ......excellent non gloss new tire look that lasts...

George Brown
07-17-2012, 05:52 AM
The Turtle Wax stuff works well. I bought one of those applicators for tire stuff, I spray the tire down lightly, work it in with the applicator so there is nothing left to sling off on side of the car, then I store the applicator in a big zip lock bag. Then you'll only need a fraction of the spray to do the tires again since the applicator is still gonna be very full of the shine stuff.

Thanks a lot,
George

Mike Phillips
07-17-2012, 07:40 AM
Seems like I've read about people having decent luck using certain spray waxes on tires.

Just to be clear, you mean you've read about people using spray waxes for auto paint on their tires and getting decent luck?

I encourage people to be open to new ideas and practice what I preach but I can't for the life of me recall one thread, or even a half a dozen threads on any forum where people are using automotive spray waxes for car paint on their tires with decent results.

Just seems any chemist that actually knows what he's doing would be putting ingredients that work best on car paint in a spray on wax [for car paint].

Rubber acts very differently than car paint but like I said, I'd be open to new ideas...

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
07-17-2012, 07:42 AM
then I store the applicator in a big zip lock bag. Then you'll only need a fraction of the spray to do the tires again since the applicator is still gonna be very full of the shine stuff.

Thanks a lot,
George

Hi George,

Great tip there about storing your tire swipe for future use in plastic bag to keep it clean and then also requiring less tire dressing to dampen for the next detailing session.

:xyxthumbs:

FishyX
07-17-2012, 10:50 AM
I think I must have read it here:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/52010-what-good-tire-dressing-gravel-roads-driveways.html

Looks like he put Perl on first and just did wipe downs with Aquawax. I might get crazy and do a tire with straight AW and see what happens.

KneeDragr
07-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Ive got 3 products in my arsenal for tires all with their own attributes.

First is Adams VRT, which lasts the longest IMO, but has zero gloss and is not the darkest black. I prefer to save it for trim these days.

Second is Blackfire Tire Gel, lasts very long, has a dark satin sheen to it. I use it on my daily driver.

Third is Optimum Tire Gel, has the most gloss/sheen but IMO isnt quite as long lasting as the Blackfire. It may keep the tires dark as long, but it gives up the sheen. I use it on my Corvette.

Mike Phillips
07-17-2012, 11:11 AM
I think I must have read it here:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/52010-what-good-tire-dressing-gravel-roads-driveways.html

Looks like he put Perl on first and just did wipe downs with Aquawax. I might get crazy and do a tire with straight AW and see what happens.

Thanks for digging up the thread above and posting the link, for myself and everyone here, this is the pertinent portion....

This is what I did for the dirt roads.

I have a company service van and it sees a lot of dirt roads servicing well sites and the tires would look awful and need scrubbing and dressing at an alarming rate.

I finally applied Perl and the next time and there after I cleaned the van I have been using DG Aqua Wax on the tires and rims.

The tires and rims can actually be cleaned off with a dry rag and still look good (no browning). I have been doing this for about 1 1/2 months now and it gets washed every 2 weeks or so depending on how nasty it gets but I wipe the tires down once a week.

Dave

And that's why I encourage others to be open to new ideas, pads, products, techniques, tools etc. and then try to practice myself what I tell others...

:dblthumb2: