PDA

View Full Version : Griots per-wax cleaners???

oldgeek
07-15-2012, 12:09 PM
What's the difference between Groits per-wax cleaner and
Griots paint prep? The descriptions sound about the same. I must be missing something.

rider9195
07-15-2012, 12:49 PM
I believe that the pre-wax cleaner is meant to remove polish residue before applying your LSP. And the Paint Prep is meant to remove your LSP.

snowking724
07-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Paint Prep is used while washing to clean and strip the surface for polishing/re-waxing. Pre-Wax Cleaner is an Eraser style product used for post polishing clean up. At least that's how I use them and they both do a fine job.

Waxmax
07-15-2012, 12:52 PM
The Griot website has a video showing both and the difference....and yes the Prep is used after washing to remove LSPs and all. The prewax cleaner is a polish residue wipe like Eraser.

oldgeek
07-15-2012, 02:04 PM
So... here's my problem:

I washed my car a few days ago and didn't have time to wax it. Drove it once on a dry day for about 10 miles. Dusted it when I came home and put it in the garage. Now I want to wax it but don't think it needs washed again but I do want to wipe it down with something to make sure its clean to accept the wax.

Should I wipe it down with a waterless wash product? or something like the Groit's pre-wax cleanser? or just a dilution of IPA?

rider9195
07-15-2012, 02:09 PM
So... here's my problem:

I washed my car a few days ago and didn't have time to wax it. Drove it once on a dry day for about 10 miles. Dusted it when I came home and put it in the garage. Now I want to wax it but don't think it needs washed again but I do want to wipe it down with something to make sure its clean to accept the wax.

Should I wipe it down with a waterless wash product? or something like the Groit's pre-wax cleanser? or just a dilution of IPA?

A waterless wash would be suitable. Then follow up with a wax.

shoeless89
07-16-2012, 10:37 AM
I believe that the pre-wax cleaner is meant to remove polish residue before applying your LSP. And the Paint Prep is meant to remove your LSP.

Correct

Bunky
07-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Correct

It can significantly reduce the LSP as well but not sure how it compares to Paint Prep or another way like CG Citrus Wash and Gloss at stripping strength.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Griot's Paint Prep does an excellent job at stripping LSP's, IMO.

Old Tiger
07-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Ryan is correct. The paint Prep needs rinsing after and the PWC is Wipe off and go to LSP.

Old Tiger
07-16-2012, 06:05 PM
So... here's my problem:

Waterless is the safe bet. A rinseless is even better.

BobbyG
07-16-2012, 06:46 PM

What you want is a clean finish prior to applying a sealant or wax. Any of the waterless washes available through Autogeek are perfectly suited for this task....:props: