PDA

View Full Version : Mixing ONR with Mineral spirits for pre-sealant wipe.

JJH
07-15-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm trying to tackle the job of cleaning up M105 splatter & dust without introducing new swirls and scratches into my paint. Do you guys think that mixing ONR with mineral spirits would be a bad idea?

BobbyG
07-15-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm trying to tackle the job of cleaning up M105 splatter & dust without introducing new swirls and scratches into my paint. Do you guys think that mixing ONR with mineral spirits would be a bad idea?

No.....

Mineral spirits and Optimum No Rinse are chemically incompatible. Once is water based while the other is petroleum based...

JJH
07-15-2012, 08:01 AM
No.....

Mineral spirits and Optimum No Rinse are chemically incompatible. Once is water based while the other is petroleum based...

I understand that. Are you suggesting that what I want to do would be pointless than?

JJH
07-15-2012, 08:22 AM
Also, since mineral spirits is petro-based, wouldn't it be counter intuitive to use it to strip a cars paint down to see the paints "true condition?"

Bigbull2984
07-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Instead of mineral spirit i did .30oz of megiuars d114, about 14 oz of ipa, and rest water in 32oz bottle. Been using it for a couple of month with no issues.

Ryan R
07-15-2012, 08:50 AM
you're going to have to polish after the 105 anyway so why not maybe use the ONR to clean all the dust,then clean your splatter,then polish and then use your mineral spirits as a wipe down?

Or...hose it down and give it a dawn bath?
With any correction process it isn't out of the ordinary for several wash downs.

JJH
07-15-2012, 08:53 AM
you're going to have to polish after the 105 anyway so why not maybe use the ONR to clean all the dust,then clean your splatter,then polish and then use your mineral spirits as a wipe down?

I've already polished with M205. There is still some white specs of M105 on pieces of trim and windows etc. I'm worried since the mineral spirits is petro based, the oils will just fill in any remaining swirls. Also worried that there is nothing to encapsulate any dust or dirt on the surface in the mineral spirits which is why I was wondering if I could mix it with ONR to gain some lubricity.

I plan on giving it a dawn wash, but the dawn is even struggling to remove the M105 splatter.

Setec Astronomy
07-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Mineral spirits isn't going to fill in any swirls, just let it evaporate.

Buckskincolt
07-15-2012, 09:24 AM
ONR and Mineral Spirits Will Not MIX! Oil and Water.

The best way to get the M105 spots off is to wipe them off when they are still wet. After that they are like concrete.

To get it off paint, try using some M 105 let it dwell and wipe. Then touch up with finer polish.

To get off plastic, I really don't have an answer other than Mineral Spirits and let it dwell some.

JJH
07-15-2012, 12:56 PM
ONR and Mineral Spirits Will Not MIX! Oil and Water.

The best way to get the M105 spots off is to wipe them off when they are still wet. After that they are like concrete.

To get it off paint, try using some M 105 let it dwell and wipe. Then touch up with finer polish.

To get off plastic, I really don't have an answer other than Mineral Spirits and let it dwell some.

Yes, the dried M105 is absolutely terrible to try to clean up.