PDA

View Full Version : do i need to clay before poli-seal???

Pages : [1] 2

magna_power
07-14-2012, 07:00 PM
I was reading about AIOs on here, mainly to use on friends cars where I can't justify a weekend fixing the terrible things they've done to their paint :nomore:

The main questions I have are:

1. do i need to clay before I use this? It's implied that it is a cleaner as well, but not sure what that means exactly.

2. What colour CCS pad would I use?

Rsurfer
07-14-2012, 07:07 PM
If the car hasn't been clayed within a year, clay it. Start with the least aggressive pad (white) first.

Mc'lovin
07-14-2012, 07:35 PM
I would safely say that claying is a necessity before using a polisher to do anything. Even if you're car's paint is in great shape, it's much better to be on the safe side and remove as much contaminants as possible before a pad will rotate in high speed all over your exterior.

As in many other cases of AIO's and other Pre-Wax Cleaners, Optimum's instructions are to use a polishing pad, which is white in your case (CCS).

Enjoy your detailing!

Vegas Transplant
07-14-2012, 07:42 PM
I was reading about AIOs on here, mainly to use on friends cars where I can't justify a weekend fixing the terrible things they've done to their paint :nomore:

The main questions I have are:

1. do i need to clay before I use this? It's implied that it is a cleaner as well, but not sure what that means exactly.

2. What colour CCS pad would I use?

This is where your test spot comes into play hand.

bmwgalore
07-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Baggie test, always.

Vegas Transplant
07-14-2012, 08:37 PM
It's implied that it is a cleaner as well, but not sure what that means exactly. Get the picture?

LC white pads and OPS from a filthy vehicle that was traditionally washed and 90 min clay/ONR process...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1431/LC_white_pads_after_OPS_resize.png (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/48055)

DaveT435
07-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Ok...what about Iron X?? I've been reading on this site for a while now. I'm a not very experienced weekend warrior. Today was teh first time I had seen Iron X listed in steps. I asked about it and was told that this always need to be done. Any comments on this??

DaveT435
07-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Not doubting you BMW...just kinda trying to spread the word...it seems not many people talk about this step...

Buckskincolt
07-14-2012, 08:59 PM
The thing is Iron-X is relatively new to the industry. Typically claying was the answer for removing bonded contaminates from the paint. There are some other ways, Finish Kare has a paint decon system along with a couple others.

But what it is thought is that when you clay and there is metal imbedded into your paint the metal shears off and part is still there. By using IX you eat away the stuff imbedded below the surface leaving behind a much cleaner healthier paint allowing your protection to bond better and fill in the micro pits better protecting the paint for the long haul.

if you want a top end look and want your LSP to last Claying is a must. IX makes it better but for many it's still not a required step. IMO I'd call it a preferred option!:props:

magna_power
07-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Thanks guys, that's kinda what I thought, the idea of polishing without claying seemed wrong...

Vegas, I can't believe the colour of those pads!!!

Also, I've heard of Iron X and am thinking of getting some, if only to make claying of a daily driver easier ;)

Wheelzntoys
07-15-2012, 08:39 AM
This would speed up the time it takes to clay.

Detailer’s Speedy Surface Prep Towel Combo (http://www.autogeek.net/speedy-surface-prep-towel-combo.html)

Vegas Transplant
07-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Many here are devoted to IX.

Not so inclined myself.

As for the rubberized towel...it took me years to get away from former products and all of the extra steps associated with their use.
Claying to me is rather gratifying. And the thought of using a tool that first must be broken in on the glass?!?
What's the qualifier for deeming when the tool is paint safe? At $70 I don't think that I will see it on my doorstep any time soon.

I don't use OPS with foam, but after viewing several threads where OP's are stating issues with foam/OPS I decided to give it a go.

OPS on Optimum MF finishing pad is my go to. IMO they get you where you want to be quicker, and they are much easier to clean.

slimnib
07-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Now every one will think Lincoln was a Socailist.

Vegas Transplant
07-15-2012, 10:19 AM
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Buckskincolt
07-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Now every one will think Lincoln was a Socailist.

Nope just an American!