PDA

View Full Version : You paid how much for that wax?

Pages : [1] 2

oldgeek
07-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Come on guys, I need an honest explanation as to why some waxes cost 10 times what other ones do. My wife's gonna see my credit card bill in a few days and I'm going to have to explain myself...

So, without revealing any trade secrets. What causes some waxes to be so expensive.

Ingredient costs?... are some of these polymers and oils particularly expensive?

Production costs?... are some of these waxes particularly time-consuming or labor intensive to produce?

R&D?... Is there a large part of the cost to recoup research and development expenses?

Just plain hype?... Yea, we all know there is a good bit of that but I can't believe that hype is the only thing that causes one wax to be $10 and another to be $300 or more.

ScottB
07-14-2012, 01:21 PM
why do womens shoes cost so much and so different, dont they all look similar except perhaps the color or length of the heel ??

jeremy0203
07-14-2012, 01:21 PM
probably a combination of the three with certain waxes having different percentages of each

plus its just like a lot of other things out there, some people just want the cheapest stuff there is and there are people out there with money to blow who dont want anything that isnt costing them a good chunk of change

Vegas Transplant
07-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Come on guys, I need an honest explanation as to why some waxes cost 10 times what other ones do.

Well, somebody has to pay Pablo to forage the jungle for the most desirable carnauba available.
Pablo's mule must have grain mixed in to his feed to sustain it for this arduous journey.
Off to some clandestine lab for formulation.

Mitt Romney has to have his share.
Barack Obama must tax it.

Max has to hype it.
Packing peanuts are at an all time high price.
Detailers worldwide have to clammer for it.
UPS has to attempt to deliver it.

And you have to find justification for purchase, or at least use it on the better half's vehicle first...better yet, the mother-in-law's dd.

DaveT435
07-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Sometimes it can be the packaging too. Look at the Wolfgang Fuzion. You can buy three 3 oz. containers...or 9 oz for 150.00...or you can buy 8 oz in a wooden box for 175.00.
Which brings up another point guys. When looking at some of these products it is cheeper to buy 4of the mid size bottles than it is to buy 1 of the large bottles...and yes 4 of the smaller bottles are more product than 1 large one. It's an old marketing trick...people have been programmed to think that buying the larger size is always less expensive...not the case. IMO you are actually better off having three unopened bottles of product sitting on the shelf vs. 1 large one. Then when you consider how your freight is figured off price of the product you may save there as well.

DaveT435
07-14-2012, 01:41 PM
I do want to clarify...don't want to come across like it is AG trying to make more money. I would think their mark up on a certain product line is pretty consistent. So that would make it the manufacturer that is using this trick.

Ray@Autogeek
07-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Sometimes it can be the packaging too. Look at the Wolfgang Fuzion. You can buy three 3 oz. containers...or 9 oz for 150.00...or you can buy 8 oz in a wooden box for 175.00.
Which brings up another point guys. When looking at some of these products it is cheeper to buy 4of the mid size bottles than it is to buy 1 of the large bottles...and yes 4 of the smaller bottles are more product than 1 large one. It's an old marketing trick...people have been programmed to think that buying the larger size is always less expensive...not the case. IMO you are actually better off having three unopened bottles of product sitting on the shelf vs. 1 large one. Then when you consider how your freight is figured off price of the product you may save there as well.

The 8 oz. Wolfgang Füzion Carnauba Polymer Estate Wax for $175 includes 1 Free Refill. So your actually paying $175 for 16 ounces.

If you purchased the smaller 3 oz. containers, 15 ounces would cost you $249.95.

It's always good to compare the 'dollar per ounce' ratio when comparing sizes, but 99% of the time the larger bottle is a better value. The 1% exclusion would be BOGO deals or special sales, when a specific size has been discounted.

Bigbull2984
07-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Ummm, blame it on Healthcare bill....

DaveT435
07-14-2012, 02:07 PM
back to the original question...according to something I read about one of the waxes they said it was ingredients, and mostly production cost. They said their product had to air cool or it would turn to mush. Then because of the way it cools they can only fill it 3/4 of the way then after it air cools fill it the rest of the way. They said most waxes can be poured at a rate of 2000 cans per day. With theirs the most they have ever produced, because of the process, in one day is 200. They have had days where only 100 have been produced. Meanwhile the cost of their equipment, building, and employess is the same as the mass produced wax.
I looked to try and find where I read this so I could just post the link, but couldn't find it. Hope this helps with your wife!!

DaveT435
07-14-2012, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=Ray@Autogeek;707313]The 8 oz. Wolfgang Füzion Carnauba Polymer Estate Wax for $175 includes 1 Free Refill. So your actually paying $175 for 16 ounces.

Ok...I stand corrected on that one. I didn't read far enough to see you got a free refill.
As far as cost per ounce I think you'll find the larger size costing more a lot more than 1% of the time...

swanicyouth
07-14-2012, 03:02 PM
I kind of relate it to women's perfume. Really nice perfume can cost $200 to $300 dollars a bottle. What goes into that? Some alcohol, some oils, maybe some herbal extracts, colorings, and a fancy looking bottle with a sprayer. But yet, most of our women probably have 10+ bottles of perfume on their dresser. They change it up every once and a while, have their favorite stand bys, try new ones from time to time, and occasional buy ones they will never use because they realized they don't like them - kind of like LSPs. Both are "luxury" items we don't need.
Now I'm just hoping your wife/girlfriend/life partner has a shelf full of this stuff so this analogy works. If not, the probably have something like this.
As to justify the cost... That's a hard one. I can definatly justify spending $100.00 to $200.00 for a boutique style wax. Even if it costs a few bucks to make - the manufacturer put the R & D into it and came up with a great formula, then IMHO it's a fair price for a nice product.
However, to me when it gets odd is when companies are selling waxes for thousands of dollars. I just cant imagine why they would cost so much, especially when the ingredients seem similar to the $200.00 wax. I'm not bashing anyone who spends that much, more power too you, and I plan on sampling some of these products in the future. I just have a hard time seeing the cost benefit ratio bring in the customers favor at that price point. But since I never used an $2000.00 wax, I could be totally wrong. The bottom line is, of something is cost more than its worth, few people will buy it, and I'd few people buy it, profits will be low, and eventually manufacturing will have to cease. If people are willing to pay a certain price, that's the price to product will sell for.

loudog2
07-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Some like the way the more expensive waxes look. Or they are easier to apply. Some last longer. Fuzion is the easiest to apply, like souveran. Supernatural was tested and show to actually improve gloss a couple days after application. To each their own. It should not be debated on what people like. Well or top shelf? Who cares get what you want.

Wheelzntoys
07-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Tell her how much money and time it saves you.

Now faster to wash, dry, excellent protection, don't need to wax often, better MPG due to aerodynamics and air friction.

Why does a painted brown/tan canvas purse sell for over $1200?

Sommy
07-14-2012, 03:24 PM
I do want to clarify...don't want to come across like it is AG trying to make more money. I would think their mark up on a certain product line is pretty consistent. So that would make it the manufacturer that is using this trick.

I think AG is the manufacturer of the ones you are referring to.

DaveT435
07-14-2012, 05:08 PM
I think AG is the manufacturer of the ones you are referring to.

Well if they are they are. It's marketing. They are a business so the goal is to be as profitable as possible while still getting the customer the best price. Not to mention the added benefit of having all the help on here. For me service sells it!! If I had a choice of buying something on here or buying it at Wal-Mart for a few bucks less I would buy it here 100% of the time. Just trying to put a helpful tip out there for those who might not as familiar with marketing, and it not only applies on here, it applies to anything you buy that is available in multiple size packaging.