PDA

View Full Version : choosing the correct pad for the job

Pages : [1] 2

Murph
07-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Hi All.

I am currently trying to figure what pad I use for which process. With so many pad colors and manufacturers using different colors, I have a hard time understanding what pad to use.

I am new to detailing. I have a Griots 3 inch DA. I have that for restoring headlights. I have also used it to do some small panels on my car. I have a 05 Volvo S40, so the trunk lid is small. This was my first dip into machine polishing. I tried to figure out what pad to use with which product. Nothing really stood out for me. So I chose what I thought was best and started polishing.

I didn't damage the paint. It came out really nice and it made my paint smooth.

Afterwards, I thought. What pad should I have really used for the polish and sealant? I really wanted a definitive answer so I could choose the correct product. Like a chart or something. I just want to make the best and most informed choice when it comes to choosing the pad and product.

So I have come here to ask that question.

Thanks All!

--Mike R.

Buckskincolt
07-14-2012, 11:48 AM
Hi All.

I am currently trying to figure what pad I use for which process. With so many pad colors and manufacturers using different colors, I have a hard time understanding what pad to use.

I am new to detailing. I have a Griots 3 inch DA. I have that for restoring headlights. I have also used it to do some small panels on my car. I have a 05 Volvo S40, so the trunk lid is small. This was my first dip into machine polishing. I tried to figure out what pad to use with which product. Nothing really stood out for me. So I chose what I thought was best and started polishing.

I didn't damage the paint. It came out really nice and it made my paint smooth.

Afterwards, I thought. What pad should I have really used for the polish and sealant? I really wanted a definitive answer so I could choose the correct product. Like a chart or something. I just want to make the best and most informed choice when it comes to choosing the pad and product.

So I have come here to ask that question.

Thanks All!

--Mike R.

Well, that all depends on what you are doing and what polish you are using as well as the condition of the paint, and what paint type.

huge Question! With the 3" Griots your pads are limited. There are Microfiber pads, and the hydro tech pads as well as what Griots offers. Also what polish are you using?

Murph
07-14-2012, 11:50 AM
When I first got into detailing, I ordered some samples from poor boys. I have PP PP2 EX-P. That is what i was using.

Murph
07-14-2012, 11:52 AM
I plan on getting a 6inch DA. But money is tight right now. I always make sure that my bills are paid before I do any sort of spending with discretionary income.

Buckskincolt
07-14-2012, 12:21 PM
When I first got into detailing, I ordered some samples from poor boys. I have PP PP2 EX-P. That is what i was using.

Ok, what pads do you have?

The EX-P is a sealant, so you would only use a finish/wax pad.
The PP is a paint cleaner polish with no abrasives so a light polishing pad or a finessing pad like used to wax. The PP-2 is a light polish with abrasives so you can use any cutting pad, keeping with use the least aggressive product/pad first to get the results you need.
As far as colors vs pads, every pad line seems to use different colors for different levels of cuts in the pad. A cyan (blue) pad in the Hydro tech pads is the most aggressive cut in that line and a blue pad is the LSP application pad in the flat pad line. So it really depends on the type of foam used in the pad.

Most product descriptions tell you a recommended pad type, and all the pads are listed in order of aggressiveness on their sale page from most to least.

Here is a link to a thread/chart Corey (Cee Dog) did a while ago that gives you some reference!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-charts-graphs/21155-pad-comparison-chart.html

Murph
07-14-2012, 12:27 PM
I like that chart! I am building my business for headlight restoration and I got the Griots inch DA combo a few months ago. It came with I believe 6 pads and microfiber towels. I that is what I was using.

Buckskincolt
07-14-2012, 12:33 PM
I like that chart! I am building my business for headlight restoration and I got the Griots inch DA combo a few months ago. It came with I believe 6 pads and microfiber towels. I that is what I was using.
This kit?
Griot's Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher Kit, Griots Garage orbital buffer, spot polish kit, motorcycle polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-3inch-orbital-machine.html)

Murph
07-14-2012, 12:52 PM
This kit?
Griot's Garage 3 Inch Orbital Polisher Kit, Griots Garage orbital buffer, spot polish kit, motorcycle polishing kit (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-3inch-orbital-machine.html)

Yes.

ray6
07-14-2012, 02:56 PM
If you're referring to headlight restoration, I would question using any pad unless you are using polish/wax instead of a true headlight coating. If you're using a true headlight coating, I wouldn't use any compound or polish and risk contaminating the new protective coating.
ray6

BobbyG
07-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Hi Mike,

This might help a little.

Foam Pads

Yellow Cutting Foam - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Coarse Green Cutting/Polishing - This foam is of medium density with the ability to level very fine scratches and very light oxidation. Use light swirl removers with this pad.

Orange Light Cutting Foam - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing Foam - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Green Polishing/Finishing Foam - Use this foam to apply one-step cleaner waxes. It is a balance of polishing and finishing that is perfect for all-in-one product application.

Gray Finishing 6.5 inch Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing Foam – Pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

Red Ultra-soft Wax/Sealant Foam - This soft, imported foam is ideal for applying the final coat of wax or sealant. The foam works especially well when applying liquid waxes or sealants because it is firm enough to keep the majority of the product on the paint, rather than soaking it up. The red foam has no cut or cleaning ability.

Super Soft Gold Jewelling Foam - The CCS Super Soft Gold Jewelling Pad is made of Lake Country's softest foam. Use the gold pad to apply a very fine polish or glaze as the final step of the polishing process. Jewelling is the term coined for this step because it intensifies gloss and reflectivity, like a jewel. The gold foam pad also works well for wax and sealant application.

Murph
07-14-2012, 03:40 PM
If you're referring to headlight restoration, I would question using any pad unless you are using polish/wax instead of a true headlight coating. If you're using a true headlight coating, I wouldn't use any compound or polish and risk contaminating the new protective coating.
ray6

Ray,

I got the kit because it was only about 10 dollars more than just the DA. The stuff was included. As you know ray, I am using the kit that we talked about. I do not use the pads for headlight restoration. I just use the 3 inch DA.

Murph
07-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Hi Mike,

This might help a little.

Foam Pads

Yellow Cutting Foam - Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and older finishes. Always follow this pad with an orange or white pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Coarse Green Cutting/Polishing - This foam is of medium density with the ability to level very fine scratches and very light oxidation. Use light swirl removers with this pad.

Orange Light Cutting Foam - Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Polishing Foam - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Green Polishing/Finishing Foam - Use this foam to apply one-step cleaner waxes. It is a balance of polishing and finishing that is perfect for all-in-one product application.

Gray Finishing 6.5 inch Foam Pad - Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

Blue Finessing Foam – Pad has soft composition for applying glaze, finishing polish, sealants, and liquid waxes. Flat pad provides full contact with paint surface to minimize the pressure applied by the user.

Red Ultra-soft Wax/Sealant Foam - This soft, imported foam is ideal for applying the final coat of wax or sealant. The foam works especially well when applying liquid waxes or sealants because it is firm enough to keep the majority of the product on the paint, rather than soaking it up. The red foam has no cut or cleaning ability.

Super Soft Gold Jewelling Foam - The CCS Super Soft Gold Jewelling Pad is made of Lake Country's softest foam. Use the gold pad to apply a very fine polish or glaze as the final step of the polishing process. Jewelling is the term coined for this step because it intensifies gloss and reflectivity, like a jewel. The gold foam pad also works well for wax and sealant application.

Bobby,

This is the most comprehensive layout for pads that I have seen yet! This answers my question to a T! Thank you so very much for talking you time to outline that.

BTW. It is about 92 here in Hampton. I washed the wifes Pilot and my S40, and I was sweating my ass off! I hope that you are staying cool wherever you live south of Boston.

DEXTERITY
07-14-2012, 03:50 PM
This is just the thread i needed as i want to buy a flex and have no earthly idea what im doing.i would hate to trash my new for edge:)

Buckskincolt
07-14-2012, 04:26 PM
BobbyG's post is excellent. You will notice in your kit that you have you received Hydro Tech pads. The above chart does not apply to them. This is why (i'm sure BobbyG would agree) it's important to read the descriptions of the products/pads you are considering buying.

Here is the descriptions of the HT pads you have.

Cyan Advanced Cutting Foam - The blue foam is designed for compounding and swirl removal. This closed cell pre-polymer foam restores oxidized and heavily swirled paint. Looks can be deceiving; the blue pad looks coarse but actually finishes with no marring. You'll achieve an almost wax-ready finish in one step. That's another way the Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5.5 Inch Foam Pads save you time.

The blue cutting foam works well with Menzerna Power Finish PO 203 and Meguiars Ultra-Cut Compound. Both polishes have great cutting power and a clean, glossy finish. Use either polish/pad combo on neglected finishes and watch the paint come to life!

Tangerine Ultra Polishing Foam - The tangerine foam is made for light to moderate defect removal and polishing. It has the cutting power just below that of the Lake Country orange light cutting pad, and the tangerine pad leaves a finish like you'd achieve with a gray finishing pad.

Use a finishing polish or fine swirl remover to create a deep gloss. Menzerna Super Finish and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze are two excellent choices for this pad.

Crimson Finishing Foam - The crimson foam is designed to apply waxes, glazes, and sealants in flawless, even coats without causing swirls. The soft foam has very light polishing ability, making it a great choice for cleaner waxes, too. Since the crimson pad is made of Hydro-Tech foam, it does not soak up liquid waxes and paint sealants like some finishing pads can. You'll be able to cover more paint with less product. The crimson pad is a great choice to apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0.

Murph
07-14-2012, 04:44 PM
BobbyG's post is excellent. You will notice in your kit that you have you received Hydro Tech pads. The above chart does not apply to them. This is why (i'm sure BobbyG would agree) it's important to read the descriptions of the products/pads you are considering buying.

Here is the descriptions of the HT pads you have.

Cyan Advanced Cutting Foam - The blue foam is designed for compounding and swirl removal. This closed cell pre-polymer foam restores oxidized and heavily swirled paint. Looks can be deceiving; the blue pad looks coarse but actually finishes with no marring. You'll achieve an almost wax-ready finish in one step. That's another way the Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5.5 Inch Foam Pads save you time.

The blue cutting foam works well with Menzerna Power Finish PO 203 and Meguiars Ultra-Cut Compound. Both polishes have great cutting power and a clean, glossy finish. Use either polish/pad combo on neglected finishes and watch the paint come to life!

Tangerine Ultra Polishing Foam - The tangerine foam is made for light to moderate defect removal and polishing. It has the cutting power just below that of the Lake Country orange light cutting pad, and the tangerine pad leaves a finish like you'd achieve with a gray finishing pad.

Use a finishing polish or fine swirl remover to create a deep gloss. Menzerna Super Finish and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze are two excellent choices for this pad.

Crimson Finishing Foam - The crimson foam is designed to apply waxes, glazes, and sealants in flawless, even coats without causing swirls. The soft foam has very light polishing ability, making it a great choice for cleaner waxes, too. Since the crimson pad is made of Hydro-Tech foam, it does not soak up liquid waxes and paint sealants like some finishing pads can. You'll be able to cover more paint with less product. The crimson pad is a great choice to apply Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0.

Hey thanks for clarifying that! I really appreciate everyones input on this subject. It is really nice to be able to post here and not get flamed for a question that some may consider "common sense".