PDA

View Full Version : soaking floor mats in a 5 gallon bucket?

davidc11291
07-14-2012, 03:32 AM
Does anybody else do this? I've found that even after I shampoo and extract the mats, they'll look really clean on the surface, but if I then submerge them in an APC/water mixture (or even just plain water) and let them soak, there's still an amazing amount of filth left in them, underneath the surface. If I'm detailing at my house, I'll wash them in the washing machine, but if I'm at the client's house, that's not possible.

hondacare
07-14-2012, 06:00 AM
Washing machine for me.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using AG Online

BobbyG
07-14-2012, 06:29 AM
I can't see where this would be a problem and in fact it will probably work out pretty well! :props:

BillE
07-14-2012, 07:07 AM
Maybe a tiny possibility of some parts shrinking?

Other than that, sounds like a good plan.

Bill

Flash Gordon
07-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Does anybody else do this? I've found that even after I shampoo and extract the mats, they'll look really clean on the surface, but if I then submerge them in an APC/water mixture (or even just plain water) and let them soak, there's still an amazing amount of filth left in them, underneath the surface. If I'm detailing at my house, I'll wash them in the washing machine, but if I'm at the client's house, that's not possible.

I don't see where this could hurt, but there is something about floormats that no matter what you do dirt will still "flow" if you get them wet

You might switch to a cat litter box so the mats will stay flat in stead of all bunched up

Setec Astronomy
07-14-2012, 08:13 AM
A couple of things...I'll credit Anthony Orosco with the suggestion to blow floor mats with compressed air while they are still dry to get a lot of that embedded dirt out of them. Also, a lot of people pressure wash them with good success. I have never done the 5-gal bucket or washing machine, however I have put them in the basement slop sink and run water over them while scrubbing.

Twister
07-14-2012, 08:36 AM
I've never never tried it but I have used a pressure washer some mats. I usually brush the mats with a stiff brush while I'm vacuuming to try to bring some of the dirt to the surface. It does seem help some.

vet
07-14-2012, 08:44 AM
I've used a pressure washer, and thought about teh washing machine, but never tried it.

I think a lot of the imbedded dirt is from using carpet shampoos that don't get rinsed out completely. Just an opinion.

Meticulous-Detail
07-14-2012, 08:46 AM
I brush first, then vacuum , then APC and scrub, then pressure wash, then extract, then let dry.

This procedure is for very dirty mats, I will skip some steps for mats that are cleaner.

Flash Gordon
07-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Floormats aren't meant to last forever