PDA

View Full Version : Removing factory racing stripes + Cleaning Foam Pads

Ohio Detailing
07-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Ohhhhh I know fellas, one of the cardinal sins of the forum-sphere is to avoid threads with a title that isn't narrowed down to one specific topic! Well, it's wayyy past 2:00am, and I have to wake up early for a Saturday get together for our church, so please forgive me :)

What is the best method, tools, chemicals for removing factory racing stripes off of a car? I have a personal vehicle I am removing the stripes from, they are about 8 inches thick each, and there are two, plus the stripes running down the lower sides as well.
DOH! I just went into the basement, and while seeing how many microfibers I had to wash, I realized I left four CCS 5'' buffing pads down there in their zip-locks from over a week ago! There is some moisture buildup inside, and I don't want any mold to form... SO WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO CLEAN THESE SATURATED FOAM PADS that have been sitting, sealed, for at least a week!?

THANKS SO, SO MUCH EVERYONE!

Feed back please

Ohio Detailing
07-16-2012, 07:32 AM
Bump! Please, any advice is helpful, don't want to see more money wasted. Thanks.

Mike Phillips
07-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Ohhhhh I know fellas, one of the cardinal sins of the forum-sphere is to avoid threads with a title that isn't narrowed down to one specific topic! Well, it's wayyy past 2:00am, and I have to wake up early for a Saturday get together for our church, so please forgive me :)

What is the best method, tools, chemicals for removing factory racing stripes off of a car? I have a personal vehicle I am removing the stripes from, they are about 8 inches thick each, and there are two, plus the stripes running down the lower sides as well.
DOH! I just went into the basement, and while seeing how many microfibers I had to wash, I realized I left four CCS 5'' buffing pads down there in their zip-locks from over a week ago! There is some moisture buildup inside, and I don't want any mold to form... SO WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO CLEAN THESE SATURATED FOAM PADS that have been sitting, sealed, for at least a week!?
THANKS SO, SO MUCH EVERYONE!

Feed back please

Just catching up on the forum from being offline since Friday, so sorry for the late reply...

Some people use heat guns to remove vinyl graphics, or even a hair blow dryer. If you go that route start with a car that's already warm, like start in the afternoon, not in the morning when all the sheetmetal panels will be cold.

As for mold on the pads, you need to wash or soak the pads in a chemical that kills mold and mildew, bleach or Lysol come to mind.

It only takes a little bleach in a bucket of water to kill mold and mildew, same for Lysol, no need to over due it. The re-wash with soap and then let dry upside down in an area that they won't get contaminated...

:)

Ohio Detailing
07-17-2012, 10:55 PM
just catching up on the forum from being offline since friday, so sorry for the late reply...

Some people use heat guns to remove vinyl graphics, or even a hair blow dryer. If you go that route start with a car that's already warm, like start in the afternoon, not in the morning when all the sheetmetal panels will be cold.

As for mold on the pads, you need to wash or soak the pads in a chemical that kills mold and mildew, bleach or lysol come to mind.

It only takes a little bleach in a bucket of water to kill mold and mildew, same for lysol, no need to over due it. The re-wash with soap and then let dry upside down in an area that they won't get contaminated...

you already know... You're the man mike, thank you so much!

DealerDetailer
07-17-2012, 11:14 PM
I have remove countless vinyl stripes, from mostly Camaro's. These vinyl stripes would just peel off. Sometimes you had to pull them hard from the surface and at an angel to get them off but they come off easy.

Most times you can start peeling from a hidden edge (like under the hood or deck lid). If you can't get them up that simple I use a hair dryer or shop heat lamp to warm the stickers and then peel from a corner (usually have to do this for or loaner cars with the big dealership logos on the door).

For most of the vinyl stripes I've removed I've had use a light polish to clean the "ridge" the sticker left.

Cman8
07-18-2012, 12:08 AM
I pulled old ones off my MINI with a heat gun and pulling them off. They shouldnt be too hard, just be patient and take your time

By the way I put the stripes back on as I liked the stripes better

Mike Phillips
07-18-2012, 06:08 AM
For most of the vinyl stripes I've removed I've had use a light polish to clean the "ridge" the sticker left.

This is called in imprint line or ghosting...

One thing for sure, if a person doesn't want the vinyl stripes or decals on their new car your better off to remove them sooner than later, the longer their on the better the chance you're always going to see an impression where they were located.

Ohio Detailing
07-19-2012, 12:30 PM
I have remove countless vinyl stripes, from mostly Camaro's. These vinyl stripes would just peel off. Sometimes you had to pull them hard from the surface and at an angel to get them off but they come off easy.

Most times you can start peeling from a hidden edge (like under the hood or deck lid). If you can't get them up that simple I use a hair dryer or shop heat lamp to warm the stickers and then peel from a corner (usually have to do this for or loaner cars with the big dealership logos on the door).

Nice! Doesn't sound too bad... I'm switching over to a custom striping setup I'm making based off of the Super Snake, for my GT500. The factory stripes are wimpy thin.

I pulled old ones off my MINI with a heat gun and pulling them off. They shouldnt be too hard, just be patient and take your time

By the way I put the stripes back on as I liked the stripes better

That's what I'm doing, swapping stripes for something custom and more aggressive!

Ohio Detailing
07-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Hey again guys,

I start taking all the factory vinyl striping off in the morning, thanks for the great advice.

AFTER I'M DONE STRIPPING the stripes...

1. What can I use to remove any adhesive residue left behind, without damaging the clear coat?

2. What should I do to totally prep the surface of the vehicle for the 3M Vinyl Wrap? I assume, perhaps wrongly (?) that all wax etc should be totally stripped so the 3M Vinyl Wrap can bond directly to the paint - should I use TRIX, or IPA wipe-down, or something else?

Does anyone know of a 3M Vinyl Wrap forum or resource I can go to do get answers from an installer or any industry experts? :)

Feed back please