PDA

View Full Version : I got it and I can't wait!

Pages : [1] 2

scooterguitar
05-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Just received my order, whoo hoo! I wanna start, but won't have enoguht time tonight. If i only do a clay bar tonight and it gets raine don tonight, will it be ok to proceed with the next steps tomorrow? Or best to clay, then AIO, then Seal all at one time?

BlackCoupe
05-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Just received my order, whoo hoo! I wanna start, but won't have enoguht time tonight. If i only do a clay bar tonight and it gets raine don tonight, will it be ok to proceed with the next steps tomorrow? Or best to clay, then AIO, then Seal all at one time?

Sure. You are removing bonded contaminants with the clay bar. Once they are gone, they are gone, until you get more, which happens over time. But the safe thing to do is to re-wash if the car is going to be outside/driven before you continue with whatever cleaner and wax/sealant you are going to use, regardless of whether it rains. You don't want to grind anything in to your nice clean surface with your applicator pads or PC, and cause additional swirls and scratches. You are going to wash before the clay, correct?

ScottB
05-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Safe info from Coupe .... claying can be done (really only needs to be done 2-3 times per year), but after a night of dew or rain , a rewash prior to sealing and paint correction is a valid option.

scooterguitar
05-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Yeah. I decided to clean my garage out tonight so I can park it inside. My Harley had taken the Durango's place the past few months :>)
Weather holding, I'm gonna go the distance tomorrow, then follow Saturday with Natty Blue. If it's dusty or dirty before I wax, I'll give it a light bath again. Keep in mind, this is all by hand, argh. Maybe I'll just go buy one of those cheapo polishers at wal mart.

ScottB
05-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Maybe I'll just go buy one of those cheapo polishers at wal mart.

comments like this will get you banned, no detailer would EVER consider such a meager tool. PC .. its priceless. :awesome:

BlackCoupe
05-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah. I decided to clean my garage out tonight so I can park it inside. My Harley had taken the Durango's place the past few months :>)
Weather holding, I'm gonna go the distance tomorrow, then follow Saturday with Natty Blue. If it's dusty or dirty before I wax, I'll give it a light bath again. Keep in mind, this is all by hand, argh. Maybe I'll just go buy one of those cheapo polishers at wal mart.

Well its about time the Harley got moved in to the living room.

scooterguitar
05-18-2006, 07:52 PM
"Well its about time the Harley got moved in to the living room."
Time to widen the front door!
Seriously, by hand is better than the cheap polisher?

DS Detailer
05-18-2006, 07:56 PM
"Well its about time the Harley got moved in to the living room."
Time to widen the front door!
Seriously, by hand is better than the cheap polisher?

Yes.

Those cheap polishers are disasters.

If you're seriously interested in keeping the vehicle sharp, Invest in a Porter Cable Dual Action. Thats where the super sexy finishes come from.

FloridaNative
05-18-2006, 08:24 PM
I agree. Forget Walmart. The Porter Cable is a serious tool that will give you real results. Buying something inferior for a cheap price is still a waste of money if it doesn't give you the results. If you're not convinced yet to take the plunge just check out this link that Killrwheels posted in another thread. You won't get results like this with any Walmart polisher.
http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video.html

scooterguitar
05-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Let me ask, with a Porter, how much time is saved compared to hand method? I have never used a buffer, imagine I would grind the paint away!

DS Detailer
05-18-2006, 08:37 PM
The time saved is tremdous, and the results are better. It's a win, win situation.

scooterguitar
05-18-2006, 08:52 PM
The time saved is tremdous, and the results are better. It's a win, win situation.
Damn this forum! :D

BlackCoupe
05-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Let me ask, with a Porter, how much time is saved compared to hand method? I have never used a buffer, imagine I would grind the paint away!

You can sit on a DA and ride it around the car and it won't damage the paint. You may be thinking of a rotary buffer, the improper/unskilled use of which can quickly cause damage. While the DA polishers have some rotational motion, as soon as they contact the surface with any pressure they basically spin very slowly--say one revolution per second. Most of their results come from the shaking. They use pads with differing abrasive qulaities and polishes with differing abrasive qualities. Think of it like using various sandpaper grits. The art comes in getting the right combination of pad and product for the condition and hardness of your paint--but there are certain standard combinations that seem to lead to good results. Many of the polishes have something called "diminishing abrasives" this means that they break down as you are "working" them with the polisher.

If you go with a cheapo, it may not have the power to correct defects, and you will not be able to take advantage of the known combinations of pads and products to address specific defects--like swirls or scratches.

scooterguitar
05-19-2006, 05:58 AM
Excellent info. I think I'll put one on my wish list!

Moises_C
05-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Yes.

Those cheap polishers are disasters.

If you're seriously interested in keeping the vehicle sharp, Invest in a Porter Cable Dual Action. Thats where the super sexy finishes come from.

Too bad i didnt read this post earlier, anyway i cant afford the PC, i just bought a Walmart random orbital polisher...i wonder if it is better not to use it.