PDA

View Full Version : Can I wax my black trim?

davidc11291
07-13-2012, 05:27 PM
I've been doing a lot of searching through threads regarding trim care recently. There's plenty of waxes available that don't stain trim, and some guys are waxing their trim with regular wax, like 845. I'm just wondering if the wax will become chalky or cause any other kinds of problems as it degrades over time?

rider9195
07-13-2012, 05:41 PM
I sometimes use 845 on trim. I will apply it to the trim and wipe off thoroughly in about 10-30 seconds. Does't leave any white residue and protects for about a month.

Setec Astronomy
07-13-2012, 07:27 PM
I don't have any trouble using waxes like #16, 845, or 476S on hard trim. The more soft and rubbery it is the more likely you are to have trouble with it, but it's fine on some rubber trims and the vinyl wrap common on door pillars. You do want to keep it thin and wipe it off before it dries into any textured areas.

GoldBl4d3
07-13-2012, 07:28 PM
You can, it wont harm. Dont use cleaner waxes, but its preferred that u seal the trim first. using Wolfgang trim sealant. Then if you want, a wax.

Setec Astronomy
07-13-2012, 07:36 PM
You can, it wont harm. Dont use cleaner waxes, but its preferred that u seal the trim first. using Wolfgang trim sealant. Then if you want, a wax.

I dunno, if I use WETS on my trim I will have prepped it well with APC, IPA, etc., so if it were me, I'd keep using the WETS rather than putting a wax on top of it that will have to be stripped if I want to use the WETS again, but that's just my thinking on the topic. Usually when I use a heavy wax it's for the winter and I use it on all the trim, too.

GoldBl4d3
07-14-2012, 03:22 AM
I dunno, if I use WETS on my trim I will have prepped it well with APC, IPA, etc., so if it were me, I'd keep using the WETS rather than putting a wax on top of it that will have to be stripped if I want to use the WETS again, but that's just my thinking on the topic. Usually when I use a heavy wax it's for the winter and I use it on all the trim, too.

I always prep my trim. I just think a sealant with a little prep work once a month would do him best.

WETS only last a good month. As far as deep black goes. So I emagined a wax on top would help prolong the life. Or even two wax coats.

But your right, just apply trim with WETS like once a month and thats prob best.

Doobis
07-14-2012, 09:56 AM
I wouldnt. the only wax/sealant type of product I use on my trim is BlackFire Crystal Seal overtop of the UTTG on it.

Meticulous-Detail
07-14-2012, 10:16 AM
I have used 845 on trim and it works well. Never had any problems or issues.

Setec Astronomy
07-14-2012, 10:20 AM
I wouldnt. the only wax/sealant type of product I use on my trim is BlackFire Crystal Seal overtop of the UTTG on it.

I have used 845 on trim and it works well. Never had any problems or issues.

There ya go! Diametrically opposed viewpoints. I've used both methods with success, depends what you have on the shelf, what your mood is, what the task at hand is, etc.

Capa1970
07-14-2012, 08:58 PM
845 on trim here too.