PDA

View Full Version : Zymol

Kenadian
07-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Sorry new at this, I have always been a Meguiars guy. But this guy at work uses Zymol and his car looks great! So I decided to try it, wasn't very impressed, it seems to have a different shine, and my hood was cloudy. He did someone else's car and he had the same issue. Is there an issue with certain waxes and silver cars on the hood? Also any recommendations on a super shine for my 03 Xterra? My best shine was when I used Meg. Swirl remover, show car glaze, and hi tech yellow wax. I really liked the finish better, more mirror like, less wet look. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated! Thanks everyone. New to this so be gentle!

Agfan
07-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Did you try the zymol you can get in the stores? Or stuff online from zymol?

swanicyouth
07-13-2012, 11:44 AM
What is the exact product that left your hood cloudy? Zymol OTC line is what they call their "introductory line" and they have it fairly well hidden on their website There is some speculation it is made by another OTC manufacturer and just labeled "Zymol". This OTC product is a cleaner wax and is a liquid. Did you use a liquid or a paste? They sell waxes from $15.00 to $8500 a container. If your looking for something great on silver, I recomend either P21S wax. I think they brighten silver and make it glow. For OTC products, you probably are far better off sticking with the Meguiars line.

umi000
07-14-2012, 10:20 AM
If it's the boutique Zymol products (as opposed to the re-branded TW OTC stuff), you might be seeing carnauba sweating - not that uncommon for waxes with a high carnauba content.

To lessen the possibility of sweating occurring, you need to apply really thinly, and you can also do a second MF buff (possibly using chilled distilled water or QD) an hour or so after the initial buff.

Setec Astronomy
07-14-2012, 10:32 AM
If it's the boutique Zymol products (as opposed to the re-branded TW OTC stuff), you might be seeing carnauba sweating

I'm 98% sure he's talking about the Zymol tortoise shell stuff...

Sorry new at this, I have always been a Meguiars guy. But this guy at work uses Zymol and his car looks great! So I decided to try it, wasn't very impressed, it seems to have a different shine, and my hood was cloudy. He did someone else's car and he had the same issue. Is there an issue with certain waxes and silver cars on the hood? Also any recommendations on a super shine for my 03 Xterra? My best shine was when I used Meg. Swirl remover, show car glaze, and hi tech yellow wax. I really liked the finish better, more mirror like, less wet look. Any suggestions/help would be appreciated! Thanks everyone. New to this so be gentle!

Welcome Kenadian, today you have stepped in from the cloudy world of "the guy at work" detailing, into the hardcore prosumer forum realm.

If you are working by hand with OTC products or the retail-available Meg's products you mention (sounds like #9, #7, #26), you really have not come anywhere near the potential for your paint that you will learn about here. If you didn't really want do dig any deeper than you already have, turn around and leave now, true Autogeekianism can become an obsession, a wallet-drainer, a way of life. If you continue on, be prepared to absorb vast amounts of information at a level of detail you never knew existed.

That being said, within reason, process is more important that which product you use, so try and start by understanding the process of cleaning, contamination removal, defect removal, protection, etc.

Kenadian
07-16-2012, 03:52 PM
It was the otc stuff. After some research I think I need to use a clay bar. And some swirl remover. Thanks guys!

yakky
07-16-2012, 04:20 PM
The OTC stuff isn't bad, my only issue with it is it stains trim. It's actually a pleasure to use. I'd be willing to bet your paint isn't properly prepped and you are getting some clouding because of oxidation.

Agfan
07-16-2012, 05:29 PM
The OTC stuff is produced by turtle wax. The real zymol is awesome stuff.

Kenadian
07-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Thanks