PDA

View Full Version : Got my first paid job tomorrow

Pages : [1] 2

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Tomorrow morning will be my first paid job, and I am really looking forward to it. My body has finally healed enough to where I think I can do it. I'm going to be washing, claying, poorboy's polish and sealant by machine, then topping off with ocw. As well, I will be doing the interior, including steam cleaning the carpet.

Wish me luck that my body holds up. Oh, and if I remember, I'll take before and after pics.

rider9195
07-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Awesome Ed! I remember my first paid job as well. Feels good to make someone else car shine and be rewarded for it.

Good luck! :dblthumb2:

Flash Gordon
07-12-2012, 09:00 PM
My first paid job was a Buick covered in road tar. I think I charged $35 and spent all day working on it. If I'd been smart, I would've made a career move

Bates Detailing
07-12-2012, 09:09 PM
My first paid job was a Buick covered in road tar. I think I charged $35 and spent all day working on it. If I'd been smart, I would've made a career move

LOL - My first paid job was like $30 for an in and out lol...... amazing what we learn after the first paying job!

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-12-2012, 09:46 PM
LOL - My first paid job was like $30 for an in and out lol...... amazing what we learn after the first paying job!
I don't feel so bad now, I'm getting $100.

Bill1234
07-12-2012, 09:54 PM
My first paid job was 40 bucks to clean rims, shine tires, wash, wax and do an interior. Was a good deal , but the interior was trashed. I would have charged maybe 15 more when I new how bad the interior was

Y2KSVT
07-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Good luck, Ed! This was my first paid job. Quoted it "sight unseen." Check it out, it's a sight I wish I had left unseen! lol

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/39862-interior-explosion.html

D.Acker
07-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Tomorrow morning will be my first paid job, and I am really looking forward to it. My body has finally healed enough to where I think I can do it. I'm going to be washing, claying, poorboy's polish and sealant by machine, then topping off with ocw. As well, I will be doing the interior, including steam cleaning the carpet.

Wish me luck that my body holds up. Oh, and if I remember, I'll take before and after pics.

Congrats Ed.

Good luck, Ed! This was my first paid job. Quoted it "sight unseen." Check it out, it's a sight I wish I had left unseen! lol

OMG Mark! I would have run away! How could anyone stand to be in that car?

tuscarora dave
07-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Congrats on your first paid job!! I remember mine well. It was a bail bondsman/bounty hunter with a GMC Yukon XL in and out that I charged $150 for. That's a $500 detail today. I've used a few gallons of Poorboy's PWS over the years and honestly you'll be robbing it of it's durability by topping it with OCW unless if you top it after the PWS cures in 12 hours or so. PWS has better durability than OCW. Just my 2 cents. Do what you want.

tuscarora dave
07-12-2012, 10:16 PM

Oh My...That's pretty much my typical detail lately. I have been training potential helpers and called them in to do the interiors like that lately.

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-12-2012, 10:56 PM
I've used a few gallons of Poorboy's PWS over the years and honestly you'll be robbing it of it's durability by topping it with OCW unless if you top it after the PWS cures in 12 hours or so. PWS has better durability than OCW. Just my 2 cents. Do what you want.
So I guess I should not use ocw then. I wasn't aware pws needed cure time. Live and learn. Perhaps I can go back the day after and ocw it. I want him to have as much protection as possible.

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-12-2012, 11:00 PM
After a 30 second search: "If you prefer, top Poorboys PWS with a carnauba wax. There’s no need to let the sealant cure before applying wax on top of it." From: Poorboys World Polish with Sealant, Poorboys PWS, paint sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-polish-sealant.html)

ocw has carnauba in it. But is ocw considered more of a sealant?

BobbyG
07-13-2012, 06:09 AM
Congratulations Ed! :props:

Since it's your first paid car take plenty of photos to commemorate the event....Almost like saving the first dollar your business made...

tuscarora dave
07-13-2012, 06:40 AM
So I guess I should not use ocw then. I wasn't aware pws needed cure time. Live and learn. Perhaps I can go back the day after and ocw it. I want him to have as much protection as possible.
There's nothing wrong with using OCW as a topper over PWS. They are both nice products and the customer will surely get his moneys worth. Anything containing a polymer sealant will crosslink and both products contain the polymers with OCW being somewhat of a hybrid spray wax/sealant.

After a 30 second search: "If you prefer, top Poorboys PWS with a carnauba wax. There’s no need to let the sealant cure before applying wax on top of it." From: Poorboys World Polish with Sealant, Poorboys PWS, paint sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-polish-sealant.html)

ocw has carnauba in it. But is ocw considered more of a sealant?

Was just thinking that on a hundred dollar detail you may want to save a step to be as efficient as possible. My testing and observation has shown that PWS alone has greater durability than OCW. I was just trying to save you a step in the process. Didn't mean to complicate things for you. Either way it's your first paid detail, you'll always remember it.

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Thanks, I'm off to the job. I'll take some pics and post them later today.