PDA

View Full Version : compound levels for part time detailing

wallace03
07-11-2012, 09:52 PM
i was wondering if i were to get into part time detailing for friends and friends of friends, what kind of compounds and polish would i need. right now i have d300 and m205. would mixing and matching them with different pads help vary the results? what other levels of compounds would be recommended? i asked this question before but didnt get any response. when waxing with a machine, how often should the pad be clean and changed, should i just treat it as if i were buffing?

AutowerxDetailing
07-11-2012, 10:14 PM
With a large enough assortment of pads the compound/polish you have will work very well to get you started. I would recommend picking up a more aggressive compound as well such as M105 if you plan on doing more heavy paint correction. If you are working on mainly daily drivers and such, D151 is also a great AIO solution for polishing/waxing in one step. D151 gives a very decent amount of correction for an AIO and wipes off fairly easily.

And I believe your last question about cleaning/changing pads was answered in a previous thread.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/52610-questions-about-temp-wax.html

Are you using the D300 with the micro fiber pad system?

wallace03
07-11-2012, 10:34 PM
With a large enough assortment of pads the compound/polish you have will work very well to get you started. I would recommend picking up a more aggressive compound as well such as M105 if you plan on doing more heavy paint correction. If you are working on mainly daily drivers and such, D151 is also a great AIO solution for polishing/waxing in one step. D151 gives a very decent amount of correction for an AIO and wipes off fairly easily.

And I believe your last question about cleaning/changing pads was answered in a previous thread.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/52610-questions-about-temp-wax.html

Are you using the D300 with the micro fiber pad system?

Thanks for the response. i currently dont own and MF pads, just ccs flat yellow,orange,white. looking to buy poorboys wax and seal, along with HT 3" in all colors, and all 3 hand applicator pads. is m105 a stronger compound than d300?

wallace03
07-11-2012, 10:36 PM
i saw your reponse "Yes, unless you are using a cleaner wax; in which case you will want to use a few different pads (or at the very least thoroughly clean your single pad) as you work around the vehicle." but my question is should i be cleaning, changing on every section like i would for polishing?

Agfan
07-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Would you be doing this for friends of friends of friends or just friends of friends? It could mean the world of difference.

wallace03
07-12-2012, 01:42 AM
Would you be doing this for friends of friends of friends or just friends of friends? It could mean the world of difference.

basically gonna tell friends to tell anyone that know that wants wash and detail. why would it make such a difference? i dont really plan on doing cars that are in horrible condition, or scratch removal. just wash,clay,iron removal, swirl removal. not sure if i wanna get into headlight restoration.

Agfan
07-12-2012, 02:05 AM
I see... One more question. Could you possibly be doing friends of friends of friends of friends cars? If so I know exactly what you need.

AutowerxDetailing
07-12-2012, 02:16 AM
i saw your reponse "Yes, unless you are using a cleaner wax; in which case you will want to use a few different pads (or at the very least thoroughly clean your single pad) as you work around the vehicle." but my question is should i be cleaning, changing on every section like i would for polishing?

This really all depends on a variety of factors such as:

What kind of wax are you using (dedicated wax or cleaner wax)?

How are you using the wax?

Is the pad getting dirty as you use it?

If you are applying a regular wax/sealant you will not need to clean or change the pad during application over an entire vehicle. Some people prefer to change the pad frequently to ensure that there are no foreign contaminants or dirt stuck in the pad potentially marring the paint. If the vehicle was properly washed/prepped and indoors for wax application this will be less of an issue.

If you are using a cleaner wax the rules change a little bit. The amount of time you work a cleaner wax aka AIO (a wax with abrasives suspended in the liquid, like a polish) will dictate how often you need to clean or change the pads you are using. If you are simply using the wax to lay down a layer of protection continue with application as you would any other wax. If you are working the AIO wax longer (more section passes per panel) to achieve a higher degree of correction you will want to clean your pad and/or change it after each panel, or as necessary, the same way as when you are using a dedicated compound or polish.

Also, you will of course want to clean or change the pad if it ever gets dirty which could happen if it catches on a panel seam that isn't completely clean, etc.

I hope this clears up any confusion. :xyxthumbs:

wallace03
07-12-2012, 03:53 AM
This really all depends on a variety of factors such as:

What kind of wax are you using (dedicated wax or cleaner wax)?

How are you using the wax?

Is the pad getting dirty as you use it?

If you are applying a regular wax/sealant you will not need to clean or change the pad during application over an entire vehicle. Some people prefer to change the pad frequently to ensure that there are no foreign contaminants or dirt stuck in the pad potentially marring the paint. If the vehicle was properly washed/prepped and indoors for wax application this will be less of an issue.

If you are using a cleaner wax the rules change a little bit. The amount of time you work a cleaner wax aka AIO (a wax with abrasives suspended in the liquid, like a polish) will dictate how often you need to clean or change the pads you are using. If you are simply using the wax to lay down a layer of protection continue with application as you would any other wax. If you are working the AIO wax longer (more section passes per panel) to achieve a higher degree of correction you will want to clean your pad and/or change it after each panel, or as necessary, the same way as when you are using a dedicated compound or polish.

Also, you will of course want to clean or change the pad if it ever gets dirty which could happen if it catches on a panel seam that isn't completely clean, etc.

I hope this clears up any confusion. :xyxthumbs:

Thanks Nicholas, this helps a lot. i just have a little trouble determining which is considered a cleaner wax when shopping. Also why did you ask if i was using D300 with a microfiber pads? is it recommended?

AutowerxDetailing
07-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks Nicholas, this helps a lot. i just have a little trouble determining which is considered a cleaner wax when shopping. Also why did you ask if i was using D300 with a microfiber pads? is it recommended?

No problem. Most waxes that have abrasives in them will market themselves as all-in-one waxes or cleaner waxes. If you read through the whole description on the bottle or on the autogeek description of each product you should be able to see if it has abrasives in the mix.

I was just curious how you liked D300. It was specially developed to be paired with the Meg's MF pad system. I just watched the whole 1:30 long video the other night about why it was developed, how it works, and what it is for and I'm interested in trying it out.

wallace03
07-12-2012, 03:45 PM
No problem. Most waxes that have abrasives in them will market themselves as all-in-one waxes or cleaner waxes. If you read through the whole description on the bottle or on the autogeek description of each product you should be able to see if it has abrasives in the mix.

I was just curious how you liked D300. It was specially developed to be paired with the Meg's MF pad system. I just watched the whole 1:30 long video the other night about why it was developed, how it works, and what it is for and I'm interested in trying it out.

ah i see, im really new to car detailing. and the product/pad was recommended to me for my car so i bought it. i heard MF pad has a really aggressive cut, but im not sure if i need something super aggressive just yet. thanks again.