PDA

View Full Version : Bad timing to lend out my rotary

sparty
07-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Detailed a 2005 VW Passat (Northern Green) today. The paint was the hardest paint I have ever encountered. I lent out my DeWalt DWP848X rotary to a friend on Monday and really wish I had it today. 12 hours with M105 and M205 with my Flex XC3401 foamed wool and orange & white pads.

I was so busy I didn't take a single picture. Horrible paint - oxidized, some cc failure, rids, swirls, paint transfer, etched water spots, you name it. I finished with Colly 845. Looked good and the client was shocked with the results. I would say 75-80% corrected. I wasn't too happy with it. But it was a mess. I really needed it for two days, but my client needed the car for a trip tomorrow.

Here is the kicker - The client booked for a 1 step and LSP. The car arrived Tues. night and we did a walk around. I told him that 1 step would not cut it but I would do my best. Did a test panel w/ WGTSR and it did very little. I knew then it needed more. He picked up the car at 9 PM, was super happy. Gave me the check, a nice tip and a case of Bell's Two Hearted Ale beer!

I guess it is time to shop for another rotary as a back-up - thinking about the Flex L3403. Any recommendations? - I love my DeWalt.

-Sparty

rider9195
07-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Nice of you to lend it to a friend! Stinks you had to be without it. I would look locally on Craigslist for a Makita or DeWalt.

mwoolfso
07-11-2012, 09:15 PM
12 hours with M105 and M205 with my Flex XC3401 foamed wool and orange & white pads.

Sheesh!!!! M105, Foamed Wool and an XC3401 was still not cutting enough?

sparty
07-11-2012, 09:23 PM
12 hours with M105 and M205 with my Flex XC3401 foamed wool and orange & white pads.

Sheesh!!!! M105, Foamed Wool and an XC3401 was still not cutting enough?

I know, crazy thing. It did do a decent job, but the etched water spots were the headache. They were beyond compound. The results were night and day, but not mirror finish. For a novice they would think it was great, but when I was looking into the paint I could see my reflection was about 75-80%. That is most likely as good as the paint condition could get I guess. I don't like letting a vehicle leave my studio like that.

-Sparty

sparty
07-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Nice of you to lend it to a friend! Stinks you had to be without it. I would look locally on Craigslist for a Makita or DeWalt.

My buddy, Sean, was polishing the diamond plate on his motorcycle trailer and needed it. I guess I needed it more. With the rotary I could have finished in about 9 hours.

-Sparty

RoadRageDetail
07-11-2012, 10:43 PM
I'd lend my wife to Brad Pitt for a sleepover before I lent out either of my buffers. For five minutes. To my best friend. With a 200% retail deposit. And his life savings as collateral.

Setec Astronomy
07-11-2012, 11:07 PM
I think that 3403 isn't going to be for you if you use the low RPM's on your dewalt. It starts at 1100.

Chase.Barnett
07-12-2012, 01:40 AM
I'd lend my wife to Brad Pitt for a sleepover before I lent out either of my buffers. For five minutes. To my best friend. With a 200% retail deposit. And his life savings as collateral.

Lmao!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online