PDA

View Full Version : Help with Colonite

Pages : [1] 2

moeferg
07-11-2012, 08:10 PM
OK, it finally came today. I read all the threads as was ready. Since it was sitting on my porch at about 90 degrees it wasn't too bad, however I did shake, smack, shake and then shook again. I used a blue pad on my PC set on 4.5. I primed the pad which was I think my first mistake. It does go a long way but I think maybe it was still too thick....Should I not have primed the pad? I then continued to finish the truck as thin as I could. I waiting about 40 minutes as it hazed up and started to remove with my PC and a micro pad. I was a bit disappointed as it really didn't seem to have the bright, sharpness as I expected. kind of dull. I looked in the light and I am thinking it may not have been ready as it didn't appear to all be off....any suggestions, comments? After reading all the reviews I guess I was expecting something better....

Buckskincolt
07-11-2012, 08:27 PM
OK, it finally came today. I read all the threads as was ready. Since it was sitting on my porch at about 90 degrees it wasn't too bad, however I did shake, smack, shake and then shook again. I used a blue pad on my PC set on 4.5. I primed the pad which was I think my first mistake. It does go a long way but I think maybe it was still too thick....Should I not have primed the pad? I then continued to finish the truck as thin as I could. I waiting about 40 minutes as it hazed up and started to remove with my PC and a micro pad. I was a bit disappointed as it really didn't seem to have the bright, sharpness as I expected. kind of dull. I looked in the light and I am thinking it may not have been ready as it didn't appear to all be off....any suggestions, comments? After reading all the reviews I guess I was expecting something better....

You should not have primed the pad for 845 what pad did you use for the application (color/type) then you say you used a micro pad for removal? What kind of pad was this? What I do is put three small pea sized drops on a 5.5" pads spread it around with my finger then start, adding no more as long as I can see it going on the paint, after I can't see it any more I'll add maybe a couple more drops. Very thin!

I always buff of by hand using a clean microfiber cloth.

If it was to thick I'm sure you didn't get it all off that's why it's dull, try using a detail spray to help you get it off.

Wors
07-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Check out the following guide:

Collinite #845: The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html)

From the Review:

Helpful Tip: Collinite's No. 845 Liquid Insulator wax goes on thin, thin, thin! It doesn't take a lot of product and the more you apply, the more difficult it is going to be to wipe off. The amount you see below was enough wax to completely cover the entire quarter panel on my car. If you're going to apply the wax by hand, I've found that a poly foam wax applicator works best. As a personal preference of mine, I avoid microfiber applicators when applying a pure wax or sealant. I leave microfiber applicators for abrasive or chemical polishes.

moeferg
07-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks, I used a blue LC pad.

Buckskincolt
07-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Check out the following guide:

Collinite #845: The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html)

From the Review:

Helpful Tip: Collinite's No. 845 Liquid Insulator wax goes on thin, thin, thin! It doesn't take a lot of product and the more you apply, the more difficult it is going to be to wipe off. The amount you see below was enough wax to completely cover the entire quarter panel on my car. If you're going to apply the wax by hand, I've found that a poly foam wax applicator works best. As a personal preference of mine, I avoid microfiber applicators when applying a pure wax or sealant. I leave microfiber applicators for abrasive or chemical polishes.

:iagree: good stuff there!

Buckskincolt
07-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks, I used a blue LC pad.
To apply, what did you use for removal?

moeferg
07-11-2012, 09:06 PM
A microfiber buffing pad

Jaretr1
07-11-2012, 09:50 PM
I am not exactly sure what a micro fiber buffing pad is. Priming the pad is not neccesary with 845. In fact that was way over applying it. If you apply it thin enough, and let it dry properly, you should be able to wipe it right off. Its often easier to remove wax by hand rather than by machine.

eacmonroe
07-11-2012, 11:11 PM
I personally use this product every day in my detailing shop, it is absolutely the best easy on easy off wax! So my pointers are:
- your definately applying it too thick. Priming the pad (i use a hydro-tech blue/detailersdomain uber blue pad) will result in too much product and will go on way to thick in the beginning and honestly tend to kinda dry up before finishing the whole vehicle.
- When applying, use a very small amount on the pad and go panel to panel in an overlapping motion, adding a small amount more to the pad as is needed. You will be able to tell when its needed when the uniform swirls of the wax look like its starting to break up and get splotchy or get too thin to where you cant see it.
- Ive never had to let it haze longer than 20 mins personally, and ive always removed it by hand.
- The only reason i can think of why it didnt come out shiny or to ur expectations is u applied it too thick...or didnt prep the vehicle correctly before you waxed. What did you do in order to prep the surface for wax?

bottom line... dont give up on this product... once u iron out the details youll fall in love with it!!!

Buckskincolt
07-12-2012, 12:46 AM
A microfiber buffing pad
I don't believe microfiber buffing pads are designed for wax removal. It's possible that using a MF pad meant to polish may have hazed the paint a little, but it sounds more like you used way to much wax.
Use a QD spray and a hand MF towel and see how that works.

umi000
07-12-2012, 03:14 AM
A microfiber buffing pad

You might have hazed your finish using the MF pad (if you're talking about the Meguiar's (http://www.autogeek.net/5in-microfiber-finishing-discs.html) or Optimum (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-microfiber-polish-pad-525.html) MF pads). These aren't meant for wax removal - they're for compounding and polishing.

moeferg
07-12-2012, 07:13 AM
The pad I used for removal was a green micro fiber pad with elastic, that went around the white "pad" I got with the PC 7472xp. It worked well with removing XMT wax. After reading all the comments I obviously put on too much and did a quick wipedown with a quick detailer and micro fiber cloth this morning. I may try another coat over the weekend and do my best at keeping it as thin as possible. As always, I enjoy all the comments/recommendations. they are extremely helpful for a "newbie".

BobbyG
07-12-2012, 07:38 AM
Collinite 845 is one of those love / hate products.

Love

If applied correctly, thin, Collinite 845 will haze nicely in 30 minutes or so making it a breeze to buff leaving behind a gorgeous shine and 5 solid months of protection.

Hate

If put on incorrectly or too think you'll hate this stuff and the easiest way to remove it is with mineral spirits and a microfiber towel. Aggressively rubbing the are in order to remove it with most likely introducing marring and other like defects.

Application

Using a soft blue foam pad, apply 4 dime size dots of Collinite 845 about 3/4" in from the pads edge. Set the speed to 3 then place the pad on the surface. Switch the polisher on and move the pad back and forth watching for that witness line. Work the wax into the paint and keep spreading it out. If you can see anything, even the slightest sign then you're putting down just the right amount of product...

Note:

Priming the pad is only necessary during compounding and polishing, never for applying sealants or waxes...

Memphis_Blue
07-12-2012, 07:54 AM
My advice would be to work on one "sample" panel; apply by hand, wait 10-20 minutes, buff off (by hand) using a new MF towel.

Examine the results, adjust accordingly and re-work the car (unless you need to strip the first LSP coat - in that case, bust out the dawn).

I agree with the others on this thread; don't give up on 845 just yet!

moeferg
07-12-2012, 12:17 PM
OK I did get a good look at the hood today in the sun...there is some hazing still left. How can I remove the hazing?