PDA

View Full Version : Vandalism - Heartbroken, now what?

Pages : [1] 2

InkedXombie
07-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Woke up this morning, was going to have a great day, took time off from work to spend time with wifey on her birthday. Dropping the new Camaro off for its 1 month "pit-stop" and to have some loose ditch molding looked at. During the walk around, went to the back and my heart sank. I realized that sometime last night someone walking through the neighborhood though it would be cool to steal the Chevy logo off the back....using a screwdriver.

I was thinking about de-badgeing it anyway and putting the "SS" logo where the bow tie was, but now the paint is wrecked. Scratched down to the primer and slightly dented. On the bright side, it looks like it can all be covered with a new logo that Chevy says they're going to replace for free.

Looking at the damage, would you guys recommend fixing it before covering it up at least? What would you recommend? Dr. Colorchip? Langka?

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e46/jabrecko/548042_428279830548003_516494825_n.jpg

brlukosk
07-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Id go with the colorchip.

If that doesn't work well, use standard touch-up paint, wet sand and polish.

1Clean3
07-11-2012, 04:24 PM
:iagree:I vote colorchip also, And and maybe the badge on top so it draws less attention to the scratch in case the color is slightly off.

Railroad
07-11-2012, 04:28 PM
After you get the damage fixed you might consider a cover with a cable
and lock. They might get the next one,but at least they'll have to work
for it.

InkedXombie
07-11-2012, 04:32 PM
for it.

I'll have my garage cleaned up and will park it in there from now on.

timaishu
07-11-2012, 05:23 PM
for it.

oldmodman
07-11-2012, 05:30 PM
I'll have my garage cleaned up and will park it in there from now on.

THAT is the best possible method for preventing moron damage.

Plus it keeps the environmental damage to a minimum and the birds can't use it for dive bombing practice.

Flash Gordon
07-11-2012, 05:52 PM
If it were mine I would have it resprayed. The car is to new at this point to have to look at that every day

Whoever did that deserves a swift kick in the junk

Joleat
07-11-2012, 05:59 PM
I hate to see stuff like this. A few months ago, I was the victim of a much less severe case of vandalism. Someone thought it was a good idea to smear their spent chew down the side of my freshly polished and waxed black Mustang. They even tried to stuff some of it inside around the windows. Thankfully, I was able to get her looking good again. About a year prior to that, I had a black Explorer. I came out on a Monday morning to leave for work and someone smeared a chocolate bar all down the driver's side and on the windows. I had just spent all weekend detailing it. My neighbor had his car keyed a couple of weeks ago and as I was leaving for work one day this week, I noticed he had one of his windows taped up. Sure enough, when I came home that evening, I saw a pile of glass beside his car.

We bought this house just shy of two years ago with the intentions of remodeling it and flipping it. One of the biggest reasons I knew I would never be content here was the lack of a garage and lack of space to build one. The vandalism is enough to solidify it for me. It really is a shame though because our neighbors are great and everyone is friendly on our street. The problem is that our street is used by a lot of foot travellers from the next neighborhood. Just yesterday, I had to buy a lock for a gate in the fence around our house. Apparently, everyone thinks our yard is a shortcut to the town pool. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they had asked, but they didn't. Instead, they trample through our landscaping and have total disregard for our property.

jvs1991
07-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Really sucks especially on a new car as nice as that.

A few months ago my 02 explorer got keyed from back to front twice nonetheless on passenger side. One mark barely went through and buffed out the other one went right through. Happened at work too.

It amazes me what people will do when no one is looking.

It kind of takes the life out of you when you see a car you keep in great condition vandalized in any capacity.

truckbutt
07-11-2012, 06:38 PM
If it were mine I would have it resprayed. The car is to new at this point to have to look at that every day

Whoever did that deserves a swift kick in the junk

:goodpost:

I hate to see stuff like this. A few months ago, I was the victim of a much less severe case of vandalism. Someone thought it was a good idea to smear their spent chew down the side of my freshly polished and waxed black Mustang. They even tried to stuff some of it inside around the windows. Thankfully, I was able to get her looking good again. About a year prior to that, I had a black Explorer. I came out on a Monday morning to leave for work and someone smeared a chocolate bar all down the driver's side and on the windows. I had just spent all weekend detailing it. My neighbor had his car keyed a couple of weeks ago and as I was leaving for work one day this week, I noticed he had one of his windows taped up. Sure enough, when I came home that evening, I saw a pile of glass beside his car.

We bought this house just shy of two years ago with the intentions of remodeling it and flipping it. One of the biggest reasons I knew I would never be content here was the lack of a garage and lack of space to build one. The vandalism is enough to solidify it for me. It really is a shame though because our neighbors are great and everyone is friendly on our street. The problem is that our street is used by a lot of foot travellers from the next neighborhood. Just yesterday, I had to buy a lock for a gate in the fence around our house. Apparently, everyone thinks our yard is a shortcut to the town pool. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they had asked, but they didn't. Instead, they trample through our landscaping and have total disregard for our property.

You can pick up a set of security cameras and a DVR fairly cheaply at Costco and put them on your house. Put up a sign indicating video surveillance. It also helps to have your house well lit up at night with halogen lighting. If that doesn't work there's always the 12 guage.

ScottB
07-11-2012, 07:05 PM
It is disgusting to see what people do when they see something nice and precious to another. Commonly a nice comment should be all thats offered, not damaging or stealing from it.

A-train
07-11-2012, 07:08 PM
:goodpost:

You can pick up a set of security cameras and a DVR fairly cheaply at Costco and put them on your house. Put up a sign indicating video surveillance. It also helps to have your house well lit up at night with halogen lighting. If that doesn't work there's always the 12 guage.

I agree. I think by this point I would be camping out nearby waiting to catch someone in the act.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

BobbyG
07-11-2012, 07:23 PM
This is a brand new car!The only logical thing to do is to have it fixed correctly then keep such a gorgeous car locked inside during the night.... Whether you have them replace the badge is your option but fix it correctly.....

Trip wires and M18A1 claymore mines.....

InkedXombie
07-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks everyone. I will definitely get it fixed, this is just a case of "couldn't happen at a worse time" staring down the barrel of a new air conditioner for the house. I'm going to check out the body shops around here, find out who's highly recommended and get an estimate. This will definitely be more than a respray as they were pretty forceful and dented the panel in a bit, not much, but enough to make it so it would still be very noticeable with just a repaint.

Been considering a surveillance system, looks like now's the time. Currently my garage has been public free storage for a bunch of my adult children's stuff. Time to tell them it's time to get their junk out, fast.

Funny thing is, I've had a some nice Audi's parked in my driveway for at least 5-6 years and nothing, but a nice muscle car out there, and some scumbag thinks that gives him license to take a Chevy badge?

Guarantee the same type of punk that would wet his pants staring down the business end of my Kimber .45 (not that it would come to that) but a man can dream.