PDA

View Full Version : 1st time using Optima UPG+ shows hand/ finger prints very easily

Spiney
07-11-2012, 04:07 AM
I just corrected the hood, roof, pillars, trunk, spoiler, and tops of quarter panels of my Black Cobra. I then did an IPA wipe down and used UPG+ for the 1st time. I used Cee Dog's tips. I used it sparingly as per the instructions and gave it a 2nd coat about 15 hours later. After letting that sit overnight in a garage there was some streaking. So I wiped it down with a fresh MF and Optima QD per Cee Dog's suggestion. It looks awesome but if I touch the car I leaves a big oily looking finger or handprint. It feels very slick to the touch and not wet. Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? It's had days to cure. Thanks, Dave

Setec Astronomy
07-11-2012, 06:43 AM
??? A shiny black car is going to show finger/hand prints easily no matter what LSP you have on there. Wash your hands more often or STOP TOUCHING THE CAR :p

dougaross
07-11-2012, 07:01 AM
to quote a famous doctor, if it causes pain, "DON'T DO THAT"

tuscarora dave
07-11-2012, 07:17 AM
I apply "Ultima" Paint Guard Plus as if I were applying Opti-Coat in terms of technique. The cost per application is very low to begin with so I am not all that sparing in my application of it. I am also using it in a production atmosphere so the way I apply it saves me lots of time as well.

Here's how I apply it.

Disregarding the instructions, I initially prime the applicator with about 5 pumps from the sprayer and rub that into one half of the roof and pillars. Next I move to the other side of the car and apply it to the other half of the roof and pillars. If I'm working on a large vehicle I may add another spray or 2 from the pump before doing the 2nd half of the roof. This heavy application definitely leaves streaks on the paint but it ensures that a thorough coating of the product is being introduced onto the paint and into the paint.

I have with me a clean high quality microfiber wiping cloth and before moving onto any other section of the car, I go back over the entire roof and all pillars with the microfiber towel. My aim is not to remove or buff off the product but to rather wipe the product smooth, ensuring that any heavy areas or streaks are wiped down. Of course this is removing some excess product. Once I achieve my goal on the roof and pillars, I move on to the hood and repeat the same exact process, adding as many pumps from the sprayer as needed to keep the application somewhat wet as I work the product onto and into the paint.

I use the term "onto and into the paint" as if to drive home the point that I am thoroughly working the product into the paint. So essentially I wipe it on in one direction then switch my application direction to ensure that the paint is taking as much of the product as it can. A quick wipe down after the application ensures a smooth, dry and streak free application.

My application technique may seem wasteful in terms of product use, but it saves me from any unwanted after effects such as heavy streaks cured onto the paint or any missed spots or dry (under applied) areas. A 12 ounce bottle of UPGP applied this way in a production environment lasts all through the detailing season and saves a ton of time and hassle. In my opinion this is simply the most thorough and hassle free way of using UPGP and the results are jaw dropping to all of my clients.