PDA

View Full Version : Impressed with Optimum Car (spray) Wax

Pages : [1] 2

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-10-2012, 08:33 PM
I finally got to use my bottle of ocw, and wow, color me impressed! I used maybe 1 oz. of it for a mid sized car and was blown away by the shine. I kept reading that you only need tiny amounts at a time, and they were right, otherwise you risk streaking. (which could be easily fixed)

It rained later in the day, (quite heavy) and the beading pattern was perfect. After driving it, all of the water ran off quickly and the car still looks perfect.

I was initially concerned about paying $16 for a 17oz bottle of spray wax, (would have been more if it wasn't for free shipping) but those concerns have been laid to rest. We'll see how long it lasts, but according to many, it will last a good long while. I guess it's not your typical "wax", and uses polymers. But I like!

Anyone else like/use it?

TimmyG
07-10-2012, 08:59 PM
I buy it in gallons. It's the best spray wax on the market, period.

Setec Astronomy
07-10-2012, 09:04 PM
I believe the UV inhibitor system in OCW is patented, I have only used the original formula, it's good stuff, I find Aquawax a little easier to get streak-free, but perhaps the newer versions of OCW are better in that regard.

chris.ganucheau
07-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Idk if its just me (prob is) but i never can get good results with it. it always streaks on me. I've used it under the shade an still streaking. idk i kinda feel like i wasted money on it. if yall have any tips im all ears!

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Idk if its just me (prob is) but i never can get good results with it. it always streaks on me. I've used it under the shade an still streaking. idk i kinda feel like i wasted money on it. if yall have any tips im all ears!
Yeah, I have a tip: use sparingly. For each 3x3 section I did, I didn't really "spray" it like you would other spray waxes, but rather held back and put on a very slight mist with some droplets. Work quickly and turn the towel to a clean side. I had no streaking issues.

It was hard for me to get it through my head to use sparingly, but I forced myself, and it came out wonderful. But that's actually a good thing, because I can do many cars with one small bottle.

chris.ganucheau
07-10-2012, 09:46 PM
I will have to try it again! so many people on here rant an rave about it so i will give it another try

mwoolfso
07-10-2012, 10:14 PM
I use a jeweling pad with OCW or a low-nap MF towel. Once the towel is saturated with product a very light spritz is all you need on the remaining panels.

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-10-2012, 11:51 PM
I will have to try it again! so many people on here rant an rave about it so i will give it another try
I guess it's like any other product. You have to use it in the right manner. There are many good products out there. Each one should be worked accordingly.

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-10-2012, 11:55 PM
I use a jeweling pad with OCW or a low-nap MF towel. Once the towel is saturated with product a very light spritz is all you need on the remaining panels.
Lazy! ;) It took me 10 min to do the whole car by hand. What's the point of doing it by machine? It's not always an advantage. Especially when something is wowo.

HellDemon
07-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Oh man I over applied by MILES the first time I got OCW haha (it was also my first wax over megs UQW) and because I bought it by the gallon, I was amazed at its price comparatively ($40 vs the $15 for the 16oz of megs up here in canada) so I was very liberal in using it.
Used 16oz EACH time i waxed my car haha! it' was ridiclous how wasteful I was... but to be completely honest, given how much I used, 1 coat lasted an ENTIRE 3 month, salt-filled, blizzard-ridden winter. Seriously jaw-droppingly amazing stuff.
I bought 3 more gallons of the stuff and I'm still not even done the first one yet haha! :D

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-11-2012, 12:33 AM
Oh man I over applied by MILES the first time I got OCW haha (it was also my first wax over megs UQW) and because I bought it by the gallon, I was amazed at its price comparatively ($40 vs the $15 for the 16oz of megs up here in canada) so I was very liberal in using it.
Used 16oz EACH time i waxed my car haha! it' was ridiclous how wasteful I was... but to be completely honest, given how much I used, 1 coat lasted an ENTIRE 3 month, salt-filled, blizzard-ridden winter. Seriously jaw-droppingly amazing stuff.
I bought 3 more gallons of the stuff and I'm still not even done the first one yet haha! :D
WOW is all I can say. 16 oz was used each time? That's a whole bottle!!!!! I just used 1 oz.

Ummm, yeah, I hope if you use it again, you like drizzle it. Otherwise, stay with walmart spray waxes.

Spiney
07-11-2012, 03:59 AM
Because of it being spoken of so highly here I bought it with my last order. I wasn't sure if I was going to use it or Meg's UQW. I had both sitting there so I did 1/2 a panel with Meg's and the other 1/2 with OCW. I love the smell of Meg's but I liked the idea of the UV Inhibitor so I went with OCW. I found the look to be similar. Loved how quickly I was able to do the car. Car is black,garaged, and not a DD So it should hold up well. I used little but after reading this, I will try even less next time.

umi000
07-11-2012, 04:07 AM
I'm a little bemused when people make using spray waxes more difficult than they need to be. I've always sprayed on a panel with a sweeping gesture (two sprays max), spread with an MF, flip and do a second wipe. I've never understood why you'd see the need to divide the panel into smaller sections, or apply with a machine - seems that this would just be complicating matters, and take more time as well.

BobbyG
07-11-2012, 06:13 AM
I buy it in gallons. It's the best spray wax on the market, period.

:iagree: Optimum Spray Wax is a great product and its performance is amazing...

Optimum Spray Car Wax
Duragloss Aquawax
Pinnacle XMT 360 Spray Wax

Toy_Cam_Ed
07-11-2012, 09:56 PM
As a follow up, I went out to my car this morning and looked at the roof. Normally after a wash and wax, the roof always attracts dust and water spots after a rainstorm. This time after using ocw, the roof was perfectly clean and shiny as all get out.

They should rename ocw to Magic in a Bottle. Awesome stuff. I'm going to buy a huge bottle of it and put it on every car I do.