PDA

View Full Version : Did 3m buy out meguiars

Pages : [1] 2

Kevin Cullen
07-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Heard that 3M bought out Meguiars a while back. Some people are saying that it is harder to get Meguiars products now. Has anyone heard this or can shed some light on it?

Mike Phillips
07-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Heard that 3M bought out Meguiars a while back. Some people are saying that it is harder to get Meguiars products now. Has anyone heard this or can shed some light on it?

3M bought Meguiar's back in 2008, I was working for Meguiar's when it happened and my jaw literally dropped when my Manager, Mike Pennington called me to tell me the news.

When I started out for Meguiar's I was an outside sales rep and trainer, I competed head-to-head with the 3M reps.

Irony...

:)

RTexasF
07-10-2012, 01:44 PM
They purchased 100% of outstanding stocks in October of 2008. Megs products are as available as they ever were. New products and innovations have been introduced since also.

Meghan
07-10-2012, 02:30 PM

To answer your question, no it's not harder to get Meguiars products now, they were bought by 3M but really nothing has changed from a consumer point.

Mike Phillips
07-10-2012, 03:39 PM
To answer your question, no it's not harder to get Meguiars products now, they were bought by 3M but really nothing has changed from a consumer point.

Meghan's correct.

While at some company meetings during the transition, one of the things Dave Gunderson, the 3M Point Man for the transition stated that there were no plans to make any changes to a time-proven successful company.

He said the approach they were going to take is,

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Here's the original thread posting the announcement.

NEWS RELEASE - 3M to Acquire Meguiar's, Inc. (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27025)

I don't chime in until page 19 and post #186 as I was off that day. It was posted during my day off in the middle of the week. At Meguiar's, when I taught a Saturday class, they would give me a weekday off the next week.

:xyxthumbs:

RZJZA80
07-10-2012, 03:45 PM
If anything, I think Megs products are more readily available than ever before.

Mike Phillips
07-10-2012, 03:50 PM
If anything, I think Megs products are more readily available than ever before.

3M brings logistics, world wide shipping and world wide warehousing to the table like no other company on the planet.

Ipsdrew
07-10-2012, 03:54 PM
When I talked with the 3M reps at "Back to the 50's" car show a few weeks backs they said that 3M will still have a small consumer line but their primary focus is going to be products for the commercial customers and body shops. Their booth was nothing but wet sanding supplies, compounds, and pneumatic buffers/sanders. The final polishes and waxes they were using on their test panels were from Meguiars.

Kevin Cullen
07-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Thanks guys, I am out of M105 and both my local shops say they are having issues finding the product. I needed some to complete a customer vehicle.
I have some Pinnacle swirl remover so I will use that. Just surprised that they both said they were having issues.

Mobile detail
07-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Try 3M Finsh it Compound and Polish if you wanna try something new. I love it and use it all the time now. I love it way better than M105. Granted, I couldn't find the sweet spot for M105 and was spending too much time cleaning it up vs getting great results with 3M Comp and cleaning up super fast. I know a lot of body shop suppliers have it locally if you can't wait for an AG delivery.

Michael Stoops
07-13-2012, 10:31 AM
3M brings logistics, world wide shipping and world wide warehousing to the table like no other company on the planet.

This really sums it up for us here at Meguiar's since becoming part of 3M. The biggest changes since 3M came into the picture have been on the supply side of things, making all of the "behind the scenes" things easier and smoother. As for R&D, Marketing, etc that is all still done in house here in Irvine, CA and by all the same people that were doing it prior to our relationship with 3M. There is no sharing of technology back and forth, other than with abrasives and adhesives (ie our Unigrit sanding & finishing discs and our detailer's masking tape), and the only marketing overlap has been the branding of Greg Biffle's #16 Roush-Fenway Racing Ford Fusion NASCAR Sprint Cup race car in Meguiar's colors at two races thus far. Otherwise, 3M is letting Meguiar's be Meguiar's and do what we've been doing for years, with great success. Our pro sales reps still go head to head with 3M sales reps in the field, and while the individuals may, from time to time, feel a loss or gain in that arena it's basically a win-win from 3M's perspective. But they're certainly not blocking our Mirror Glaze Professional Line from availability in any market. Which makes the following sound a bit odd:

Thanks guys, I am out of M105 and both my local shops say they are having issues finding the product. I needed some to complete a customer vehicle.
I have some Pinnacle swirl remover so I will use that. Just surprised that they both said they were having issues.
Any distributor who has access to any of our Mirror Glaze line should have access to all of it, other than maybe the few Walmart stores that are part of the current test marketing that we're doing. It is common, however, for a retailer or distributor to tell a customer that we've stopped making something when the reality is that they just stopped carrying it. For example: in the consumer space, when we introduced Ultimate Wash & Wax a couple of years ago some retailers picked it up at the expense of Gold Class Car Wash. So a Gold Class user goes into their usual store looking for it and can't find it, only to be told by the store employee that we discontinued it and UW&W replaced it. Not completely accurate, but unfortunately not every bit of information gets passed along to every employee in a large, nationwide chain. So there are all sorts of reasons why it may appear that a store can no longer locate a certain product of ours.

Oh, one more note about our relationship with 3M: Meguiar's is the ONLY company acquired by 3M where all the employees retained their email addresses. Had I worked for any other company that 3M acquired my email would have changed to mstoops@mmm.com but it remains mstoops@meguiars.com To our understanding, this has never happened in the past, such is the power of the Meguiar's brand. And kudos to 3M for recognizing that.

Mike Phillips
07-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks for chiming in Mike!

How's the weather there in SoCal today?

stilltipping3
10-10-2013, 07:16 PM
3M bought Meguiar's back in 2008, I was working for Meguiar's when it happened and my jaw literally dropped when my Manager, Mike Pennington called me to tell me the news.

When I started out for Meguiar's I was an outside sales rep and trainer, I competed head-to-head with the 3M reps.

Irony...

:)
This is what I meant by my post on another thread, but I put the wrong letter. Crucify me for spelling wrong. My bad!!

Rsurfer
10-10-2013, 07:25 PM
This is what I meant by my post on another thread, but I put the wrong letter. Crucify me for spelling wrong. My bad!!

You had a lot of us going with that post.:nomore:

stilltipping3
10-10-2013, 07:32 PM
You had a lot of us going with that post.:nomore:
Didn't mean any harm. My simple mind just went for the letter that it thought of first without noticing it was wrong. But what I was thinking was 3M and it is true according to this thread.