PDA

View Full Version : Rust under Where battery sits

John1988
07-10-2012, 08:18 AM
So my engine bay is rusting under where the battery sits. I guess the battery tray didn't help... The paint that is discolored, is really bubbly like the skin of the paint is not in contact with metal. I feel I can easily peel off the discolored paint. What's the best way to deal with this, before it gets worse? 2007 Tundra btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Mike Phillips
07-10-2012, 09:13 AM
You have to,

Remove the rust
Apply a coating that won't rust

I'm hotrodding a 1978 Chevy 3/4 Ton truck and it has some rust on the frame.

I'm going to test the Griot's Rust Remover (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-rust-remover.html) this Saturday on some rust areas and then paint these areas with POR-15. After painting with POR-!5 then I'll likely paint the frame using Rustoleum's Hammered Finish paint which is a paint system the bought from Hammerite.

I've used the above process on a few 1959 Cadillacs that I've owned and watched by my buddies Matt Steele and Bruno Massel show the POR-15 product on their TV show, Truck U. It's the real deal.

You can make this project as simple as you want or complicated as you want, that's up to you. Maybe look to see if you can purchase a new batter box. I know LMC, a supplier for classic Chevy trucks offers a complete replacement batter box for my truck which I will be purchasing.

:)

Link
07-10-2012, 02:31 PM
May want to wash ,everything around it , with baking soda to neutralize the acid before starting.

oldmodman
07-10-2012, 07:03 PM
I have been using the EXACT method and products that Mike suggested.

And it had worked on every metal part that I used it on. Use a wire wheel or similar method to scratch off all the loose paint. Then wash the part with baking soda and water to remove and neutralize every bit of battery acid. Wash and re wash to get every trace of acid residue and baking soda off the part.
Apply two coats as per the instructions for the Eastwood rust Converter. Then after allowing the recommended drying time paint it with the POR-15 rust preventing paint.

If you have sandblasting available to you that would be even better than a wire wheel or brush.