PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845

moeferg
07-10-2012, 07:57 AM
I just ordered my first bottle of 845. Any tips or advise on using it?

Memphis_Blue
07-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Yes.

1. Search the forum for Nick's 845 review and demo.

2. Place bottle in sun for 5 min before using (or hot water).

3. Apply thin...thin...oh, so very thin.

Enjoy! :xyxthumbs:

Buckskincolt
07-10-2012, 08:04 AM

Thin, make sure you apply it thin ...... Oh yeah, did I say to apply it very thin?:dblthumb2:

If its all chunky, put it in the sun or hot water for 5-10 minutes then shake it a ton, then shake it some more, now you are ready to apply a very thin coat!

wgilles
07-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Let it dry for 30-45 minutes.

BillyJack
07-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Yes.

1. Search the forum for Nick's 845 review and demo.

2. Place bottle in sun for 5 min before using (or hot water).

3. Apply thin...thin...oh, so very thin.

Enjoy! :xyxthumbs:

X2 to everything mentioned.
Here's the linkhttp://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/40243-collinite-845-definitive-how-guide-legendary-wax.html

One more thing; most products say "shake well before using". With 845, especially for the first use, shake well doesn't mean 5 seconds-it's more like 5 minutes. And don't forget to find yourself a flip-top spout that fits the bottle. It's essential to do the "thin...thin...oh, so very thin", but properly done, the results will be well worth the effort.

Bill

Jaretr1
07-10-2012, 09:07 AM
I am not sure if anyone mentioned it above, but apply it thin. And if you think you are applying it thin, you are probably not applying it thin enough (lesson learned the hard way). Wait for it to dry completely before buffing off.

So what happens when you apply it to thick? It will streak, it will be harder to remove, and it will take longer to dry (again, learned the hard way).

rider9195
07-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Let it dry for 30-45 minutes.

Letting it dry helps the most. And of course as others have mentioned apply thin.

shoeless89
07-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Like a lot of other people mentioned, letting it fully haze is key. I usually let it sit for an hour or so before attempting to remove it.

moeferg
07-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Great link! Thanks...

Collinite #845: The Definitive How-To Guide For This Legendary Wax

dougaross
07-10-2012, 04:09 PM
It is much easier to get thin even coat if applied by machine.

umi000
07-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Has anyone mentioned that you need to shake the bottle, then shake some more, then a little bit more, then a lot more after that? :D Also, just in case you missed it, you need to apply it thin, thin thin :D

Eddie 70
07-10-2012, 09:13 PM
I used it last week on my 70 vette. I have had the stuff for about 6 months and never used. I bought it after reading the reviews and the 845 thread. I spread it using my PC and a black/grey Lake Country pad and spread it real thin over the whole car and let it set probably an hour or more while I knocked around in the garage. When I finally got around to taking it off the car, it was very easy and I very happy with what I see on the car. Enjoy.

asd60303
07-13-2012, 01:16 AM
I am not sure if anyone mentioned it above, but apply it thin. And if you think you are applying it thin, you are probably not applying it thin enough (lesson learned the hard way). Wait for it to dry completely before buffing off.

So what happens when you apply it to thick? It will streak, it will be harder to remove, and it will take longer to dry (again, learned the hard way).

I used it for the first time a few weeks ago. I did the usual quick shake then applied it like a normal wax; let it sit for 15 minutes then wiped off. The car came out all streaky..:confused:. Now I know why. It was a black car as well. I wish I saw this thread sooner.

BobbyG
07-13-2012, 06:06 AM

I replied to the other Collinite 845 thread you started so just in case you missed it I've pasted it here as well.

Collinite 845 is one of those love / hate products.

Love

If applied correctly, thin, Collinite 845 will haze nicely in 30 minutes or so making it a breeze to buff leaving behind a gorgeous shine and 5 solid months of protection.

Hate

If put on incorrectly or too think you'll hate this stuff and the easiest way to remove it is with mineral spirits and a microfiber towel. Aggressively rubbing the are in order to remove it with most likely introducing marring and other like defects.

Application

Using a soft blue foam pad, apply 4 dime size dots of Collinite 845 about 3/4" in from the pads edge. Set the speed to 3 then place the pad on the surface. Switch the polisher on and move the pad back and forth watching for that witness line. Work the wax into the paint and keep spreading it out. If you can see anything, even the slightest sign then you're putting down just the right amount of product...