PDA

View Full Version : Keeping wheels clean from brake dust!

Noob
07-09-2012, 10:46 PM
We own a '11 BMW X3 and the wheels/rims are FULL of brake dust....right after I wash/clean them.

After just 2 days of driving -- the car itself is spotless - given the wash and wax I do on it.

But the wheels.....they are black!

What can I do to keep them clean?

Tom@ADTR_MD
07-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Opticoat 2.0 from Optimum is one option. Takes a little practice to apply correctly but provides long lasting results and protection. It will help save time cleaning off the wheels.

Unfortunately BMW brakes dust a lot.

For a less permanent method try applying a sealant or wax to them.

Hope this helps.

swanicyouth
07-10-2012, 12:59 AM
I feel (felt) your pain. The best thing you can do is get rid of the BMW factory brake pads and get a low dust pad like the Axxis Deluxe. You'll go from the dirtiest wheels you've ever seen to the cleanest overnight. Also, OptiCoat your wheels. I did those 2 things and now my wheels stay pretty much as clean as the paint. This difference is dramatic and worth it. New brake pads will cost you under $175.00 for all 4 wheels. Changing them on a BMW (or any car, really) couldn't be easier. While you have the wheels off, clean them to as close as new as possible and OptiCoat them.

Old Tiger
07-10-2012, 05:27 AM
Opticoat 2.0 from Optimum is one option. Takes a little practice to apply correctly but provides long lasting results and protection. It will help save time cleaning off the wheels.

Unfortunately BMW brakes dust a lot.

For a less permanent method try applying a sealant or wax to them.

Hope this helps.

I feel (felt) your pain. The best thing you can do is get rid of the BMW factory brake pads and get a low dust pad like the Axxis Deluxe. You'll go from the dirtiest wheels you've ever seen to the cleanest overnight. Also, OptiCoat your wheels. I did those 2 things and now my wheels stay pretty much as clean as the paint. This difference is dramatic and worth it. New brake pads will cost you under $175.00 for all 4 wheels. Changing them on a BMW (or any car, really) couldn't be easier. While you have the wheels off, clean them to as close as new as possible and OptiCoat them.
You cant get any better advice than these gentlemen have provided. I have had superior performance and low dust from Hawk Performance Street pads.

Mike Phillips
07-10-2012, 06:10 AM
I've been testing the new Meguiar's Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-brake-dust-barrier.html) on a set of Honda wheels. Granted the don't get near as bad as a BMW wheels but what I see is a dirty wheel that washes clean with just car wash soap.

:)

DEXTERITY
07-10-2012, 06:10 AM
oh how I miss my BMW, but I don't miss that break dust!! it is the curse of BMW's.. :autowash:

not to mention the coat on their rims (depending which ones you have) peels after time, if you use too strong of a cleaner.

In regard to changing the pads, is it ok to do so? When I looked into it, they suggested I don't do it as the breaks wont have enough room to "breathe."

Detail_Dude
07-10-2012, 06:45 AM
I've been testing the new Meguiar's Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-brake-dust-barrier.html) on a set of Honda wheels. Granted the don't get near as bad as a BMW wheels but what I see is a dirty wheel that washes clean with just car wash soap.

:)

I have been having the same experience with OptiSeal - and I do have a BMW. My rims do not accumulate 'as much' brake dust as before the OS was applied (2 months ago) and what I do see every week or so washes off very easy with soap, watter and a decent wheel brush. In fact, the brake dust would easily come off with my finger if I gave it a swab.

Also, applying the OS, which we know is a WOWA was a breeze.

EPA7
07-10-2012, 07:48 AM
I posted a similar question to the OP a couple days ago. Does anyone have A/B pics after a few miles to compare OptiCoat or other treatment? The Armor All Wheel Protectant does 90% of what I'd like, and lasts through washing, but I'm trying to take it to the next level.

BMW
07-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Having two BMWs I have plenty of experience with this. I would not advise changing your pads since this is a 2011 it will negate your maintenance plan (brake pad replacement during the 50k mile maintenance period) and may negatively impact your warranty for said brakes.

Armour All Wheel Protectant is the way to go...Meguiar's product works well, but it only makes clean up easier...Armour All Wheel Protectant actually does a good job of repelling brake dust.

Opti-coat with Armour All is the best combo I have found...

Dadillac
07-10-2012, 10:11 PM
I fixed the brake dust issue on my wife's 2007 328xi by switching to semi metallic pads. The switch had minimal loss in braking power. The BMW brakes are the best I have ever felt on any car I have driven

Don

HellDemon
07-11-2012, 12:21 AM
See I like opti-coat, but IF some of the really hard stuff ever gets baked on and can't come off with rubbing with a wash mitt, you WILL have to use a more aggressive wash and use some agitation, possibly from a brush. and the brush will definitely ruin the finish of the OC, not to say that it woudln't ruin the finish of clear coat either, but that's one reason why I never went with a permanent solution with something like wheels.

For me, I use 1 of 2 things; wolf's nano rim shield, or carpro reload. Reload works well, much more available, more versatile (you can use it on paint ofc), easier to apply, and you get much more for the money you pay as opposed to the wolf's. They're both self-cleaning, but I would say that Wolf's self cleaning effect is better and on par with opti-coats. So if you ever feel the need to clean more aggressively, you can always reapply afterwards. That way you won't have to worry about the lack of opti-coat to coat your rims again if you were to have damaged the coating (not to say that you cant do that with opti, but the stuff's expensive lol and to constantly reapply if your rims get real dirty is not a viable option). So I personally have wolf's on my own rims, and for my friends' beater cars that go through alot of pain, I use reload since it's much easier to reapply.

EPA7
07-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Having two BMWs I have plenty of experience with this. I would not advise changing your pads since this is a 2011 it will negate your maintenance plan (brake pad replacement during the 50k mile maintenance period) and may negatively impact your warranty for said brakes.

Armour All Wheel Protectant is the way to go...Meguiar's product works well, but it only makes clean up easier...Armour All Wheel Protectant actually does a good job of repelling brake dust.

Opti-coat with Armour All is the best combo I have found...

It's very encouraging that someone has experience with OptiCoat and AAWP (I was a bit concerned that AAWP wouldn't adhere/work if applied on a sealant).

Do you have any pics to share?

supercharged
07-15-2012, 03:42 AM
I have fun using sonax fe or iron x, so i don't mind a little brake dust. It's high performance machine. Honestly, being '11 your x3 is under ultimate service, switching to different brake pads only increases operating cost. Invest in some sonax fe or iron x and enjoy the fun of hollywood bloody action!