PDA

View Full Version : About tire pressure..

Pages : [1] 2

klumzypinoy
04-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Manufacture recommends my tires have to be filled to 32 psi. Say my tires have a max psi of 44, do I need to raise the psi, or 32's fine? I always get confused by this because what if your manufacture recommends 32 psi and you buy tires that have a max of 100 psi?

Grimm
04-04-2007, 05:02 PM
the tires have a set maximum, but then the car maker tests to see what is best based on the car, so usually their maximum is what you should stick with. My car is the same, 44 psi max, 32 I think on the car. So I have them set at about 32. Higher pressure will supposedly give you better gas mileage, but if you go too far you will wear out the tire prematurely and have a harsher ride.

budman3
04-04-2007, 05:03 PM
You'll be fine with 32 psi. The car manufacturer takes the weight of the vehicle along with other considerations when issuing a recommended tire pressure. The maximum tire pressure is what the tire manufacturer says you can inflate the tire to without overinflating. In normal cases, as long as the pressures are equal from side to side you should be fine.

klumzypinoy
04-04-2007, 05:12 PM
THanks for the fast response guys. I was checking my pressure and I usually set them to 38, 6 psi below the max pressure on the tires. I should lower them down to 32. Right now they're at 35.

BILL
04-04-2007, 05:25 PM
THanks for the fast response guys. I was checking my pressure and I usually set them to 38, 6 psi below the max pressure on the tires. I should lower them down to 32. Right now they're at 35.

MY BICYCLE SAYS 40-60 PSI Im afraid those skinny tires could take 40 much less 60

Al-53
04-04-2007, 05:50 PM

Always fill your tires when cold....once they warm up the air expands..

Al

AUdakota
04-04-2007, 06:22 PM
A good way to tell is to put a line of chalk across the tread of your tires and than drive like up and back your driveway and see how much of the chalk is left and adjust the pressure until the entire footprint of the tread is worn off. obviously you want the highest pressure but still using the entire tread.

Nuke33
04-04-2007, 06:30 PM
I always go with what is on the door

BILL
04-04-2007, 06:31 PM
I always go with what is on the door

ME TOO..;)

Gary Sword
04-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Tire pressure on the low side gives you a better ride but you get better performance and handling when it's on the high side. Some manufactures such as Mercedes Benz recomend different tire pressures depending on what you want to achieve (Ride vs Handling & Performance).

AUdakota
04-04-2007, 06:47 PM
and some manufacturers like ford tell the explorer owners to underinflate thier tires causing them to have too much surface contact/friction with the road and cause tread seperation at high speeds in hot climates.......

Dont get me started on this whole deal hahaha

Stittville Ed
04-04-2007, 06:50 PM
A good way to tell is to put a line of chalk across the tread of your tires and than drive like up and back your driveway and see how much of the chalk is left and adjust the pressure until the entire footprint of the tread is worn off. obviously you want the highest pressure but still using the entire tread.

Very good idea, Thanks

I go a little higher because this has worked for me most of the time.
My wifes Sebring was very bad handling until I upped the PSI to 38 from 32
If it rides and handles good that's the right pressure :D

koibybrian
04-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Always fill your tires when cold....once they warm up the air expands..

Al

allways fill when cold, check when warm! I go to recomended tire pressure.
Here in the Detroit area they have a tire chain (Belle Tire) that fills your tires with Nitrogen instead of Air. Nascar has used this for some time because it is less suseptable to tempreture increases. Belle Tire claims it will also save you money! I guess because their is no moisture or limited moisture from air over Nitrogen. I belive they have a websight. Some applications have different pressure recomendations from front to rear. My HD Serria 60 psi front and 80 rear. I keep them at 80 psi (E series tires.).

supercharged
04-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Manufacture recommends my tires have to be filled to 32 psi. Say my tires have a max psi of 44, do I need to raise the psi, or 32's fine? I always get confused by this because what if your manufacture recommends 32 psi and you buy tires that have a max of 100 psi?
Just follow manufacturing recommendations.

klumzypinoy
04-05-2007, 01:33 AM

That's a great idea.

I always fill and check tires when cold.