PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Coating Performance Experience?

EPA7
07-08-2012, 10:07 PM
I've seen a lot of recommendations for OptiCoat (and other wax/sealants) on wheels to make brake dust not stick or easier to clean, but I've never seen examples that demonstrate their effectiveness.

I tried Armor All Wheel Protectant a couple months ago and it works pretty well at preventing brake dust from sticking, but it's not perfect, and I'm still looking for something that will keep wheels pristine-looking between washes.

About the strongest endorsement I've seen for OptiCoat, Collinite 845, etc. is that they make the wheels easier to clean, not that they keep them cleaner.

Can anyone comment (preferably with pics comparing different treatments) about their experience with wheel coatings?

glen e
07-08-2012, 10:16 PM
There is nothing that will make the wheel completely clean at all times but I am very happy with this several months later - a hose and quick swipe and they are gloss clean. but yes cleaner between washes too.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/46716-ultima-paint-guard-new-bmw-wheels.html

EPA7
07-08-2012, 10:56 PM
There is nothing that will make the wheel completely clean at all times but I am very happy with this several months later - a hose and quick swipe and they are gloss clean. but yes cleaner between washes too.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/46716-ultima-paint-guard-new-bmw-wheels.html

Did you do the barrels or just the face? Does it still work well after 6 months?

I'm wondering if a base of UPG or similar plus the AAWP would be a winning combo?

shoeless89
07-09-2012, 09:52 AM
I put Opti-coat on my wheels and it does make cleaning them much easier. I haven't done any side-by-side demonstrations but I do know it helps a ton! And to keep you wheels looking the best between washes I would look into ceramic brake pads even though you'll usually give up a tiny bit of stopping power. The ceramic brake pads don't dust nearly as much as "normal" brake pads.

arack
07-09-2012, 09:57 AM
I have Opti Coat on my wheels. It works pretty well, but you still have to use a dedicated wheel cleaner on it.

BMW
07-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Having two BMWs I have plenty of experience with this. The best combination I have found is to Opti-Coat the wheels (barrels and all) and then use the Armour All protectant after each washing. For me with that combo...nothing sticks to the visible part of the wheels.

A-train
07-09-2012, 10:59 PM
I prefer opti-coat followed by Permanon Platinum I've used this combination on multiple vehicles including two BMWs and when they come back for maintenance washes its just soap and water to clean the wheels. The Permanon takes the coating to a new level.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

EPA7
07-10-2012, 08:02 AM
I prefer opti-coat followed by Permanon Platinum I've used this combination on multiple vehicles including two BMWs and when they come back for maintenance washes its just soap and water to clean the wheels. The Permanon takes the coating to a new level.

The brake dust comes off with soap and water with AAWP, but lazy me would like removal to be easier and build up slower. I'll check into the Permanon.

wgilles
07-10-2012, 08:08 AM
I don't really have any before/after pictures, but I can attest to Collinite 845 on wheels. I have it on my black painted wheels and it keeps the brake dust at a minimum and they will become completely clean with soap and water on a wash mitt.

EPA7
07-10-2012, 08:35 AM
I don't really have any before/after pictures, but I can attest to Collinite 845 on wheels. I have it on my black painted wheels and it keeps the brake dust at a minimum and they will become completely clean with soap and water on a wash mitt.
Looks like it's time for experimentin' :work::work::work::work::work::work:
:laughing:
I'll try out a few combos and post results.

Old Tiger
07-12-2012, 02:52 PM

You are a wise man indeed, buddy!

JSFM35x
07-12-2012, 03:45 PM

Do you use the Permanon straight or diluted with distiller water? If diluted to 5 or 10%?

Thanks