PDA

View Full Version : Need help engine detailing qq?

Bagua
07-08-2012, 02:34 PM
RsGreetings all,

I'm new to the forums and am finally introducing myself. I'm new to auto detailing and have been trolling the AGO forums for some time gathering information. So far all the recommendations,reviews and advice have not steered my wrong. Thanks again to everybody.

Now to my question, I am going to tackle detailing my car's engine bay. I've done a quick pass but noticed that the previous owner had the Ziebart protection sprayed onto the car. It looks like a fine dusting of dark particles on the paint in certain areas.

What would be the best method to remove this or should I leave the coating?

I was going to use an apc then follow up with a polish and wax by Collinite products and the usual engine dressing products.

I don't have a pressure washer and this is my garage queen which will never see rain or snow.

Thanks in advance.

rider9195
07-08-2012, 04:01 PM
I'm confused by your post. The title mentions the engine bay, but it talks about some coating on your paint.

For the engine bay, I use a steam cleaner now. But before I had it, I just lightly rinsed it down sprayed some APC, agitated, then rinse and dressed.

For the paint you should wash, dry, clay, polish, wax. That Ziebart protection is probably just a paint sealant. So a good claying and polishing will remove it.

swanicyouth
07-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Is the Ziebart stuff overspray from undercoating or some type of paint sealant? About 15 years ago I worked for Ford and we used to up sell "rust protection" which was this waxy yellow stuff we would spray in the doors and on the body seems. We also did undercoating and that stuff was a mess and over spray got all over the car. To remove it, we used to use this Ardex brand solvent. I would try APC strong. If that doesnt work I would try Goo Gone or Goof Off on a rag, testing it first on an inconspicuous area. Of course I'm assuming your talking about the paint work under the hood, like on the strut tower, correct? If its dotted here and there on the external body clay or a paint cleaner may remove it. But if it's real hard, it may mar if you try clay. There is also a product called Prep Sol I'm learning about that removes grease, silicone, and wax on metal prior to painting a surface. DuPont says its safe on factory paint.

Bagua
07-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Correct it looks to be overspray on the painted parts of the engine bay. Strut towers sidewalls, any painted pieces are covered in this gunk with the exception of the under panel of the hood. I'll take the suggestions and do a small spot with undiluted apc. Thanks again for the guidance and help.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

ARizzle
07-13-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm confused by your post. The title mentions the engine bay, but it talks about some coating on your paint.

For the engine bay, I use a steam cleaner now. But before I had it, I just lightly rinsed it down sprayed some APC, agitated, then rinse and dressed.

For the paint you should wash, dry, clay, polish, wax. That Ziebart protection is probably just a paint sealant. So a good claying and polishing will remove it.

When you use your steam cleaner, do you cover anything in the engine bay?

Wors
07-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Bagua,

View Nick's Article below:

how-detail-your-engine-like-professional (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50352-how-detail-your-engine-like-professional.html)

It has some very good information.

-Ben

Bagua
07-13-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't have a steamer, but I did use Apc the other day and it may take a couple of cleanings. Thanks for the link. I'll read thru it, any advice from Nick is like gold. :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2