PDA

View Full Version : S100 Cycle vrs P21S vrs Prepsol Cleaners

swanicyouth
07-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Has anyone used both of these? Are they basically the same? I understand these are considered a "d-limonene" type cleaner which comes from citrus. I'm tying to find something locally to clean off polishing/filling/glazing oils or left overs when doing a correction. I tried using 20% isopropyl but that wasn't cutting it.
I'm also wondering a about Prepsol. Does that leave anything behind at all? Can you apply LSP right after a Prepsol wipe down? Basically, I can get the Prepsol or the S100 Total Cycle Wash locally and I'm looking for something I can use tomorrow.

bmwgalore
07-08-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm tying to find something locally to clean off polishing/filling/glazing oils or left overs when doing a correction. I tried using 20% isopropyl but that wasn't cutting it.

20% IPA is very strong, it should remove everything.. Next time don't let the polish or compound dry on the surface and use LESS product.

But yeah, the P21s Cleanser is excellent and the price is good. I love the stuff.

Don't know about Prepsol.

swanicyouth
07-08-2012, 01:30 PM
20% IPA is very strong, it should remove everything.. Next time don't let the polish or compound dry on the surface and use LESS product.

But yeah, the P21s Cleanser is excellent and the price is good. I love the stuff.

Don't know about Prepsol.

Problem was, product I was using was a fine polish with a glaze in it (Woflfgang FTG). I thought the alcohol got it all off, but apparently I didn't. I went over it several times with the isopropyl. I just want to get away from alcohol all together and looking for other stuff for the final wipe before an LSP. Im guessing the P21S / S100 leave something behind, so maybe I would be better off with Prepsol. I checked it out on Dupont's website and it was designed to clean a surface before painting, so I'm wondering if it may be too strong for use on the actual painted surface. I guess Eraser would be ideal, but I was looking for something to use tomorrow.

bmwgalore
07-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Problem was, product I was using was a fine polish with a glaze in it (Woflfgang FTG). I thought the alcohol got it all off, but apparently I didn't. I went over it several times with the isopropyl. I just want to get away from alcohol all together and looking for other stuff for the final wipe before an LSP. Im guessing the P21S / S100 leave something behind, so maybe I would be better off with Prepsol.

Oh ok, now I get it. Yup, P21s would be perfect to remove the glaze. It has very light polishing abilities that IPA doesn't have.

But P21s is not an wipe down product, you have to apply with a polishing pad and stuff... It doesn't leave anything behind, just a clean surface.

Buckskincolt
07-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Problem was, product I was using was a fine polish with a glaze in it (Woflfgang FTG). I thought the alcohol got it all off, but apparently I didn't. I went over it several times with the isopropyl. I just want to get away from alcohol all together and looking for other stuff for the final wipe before an LSP. Im guessing the P21S / S100 leave something behind, so maybe I would be better off with Prepsol. I checked it out on Dupont's website and it was designed to clean a surface before painting, so I'm wondering if it may be too strong for use on the actual painted surface. I guess Eraser would be ideal, but I was looking for something to use tomorrow.
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0, Wolfgang finishing polish, polising glaze, machine glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-finishing-glaze.html)
Is this what you were using?

If so there is no "glaze" in it. It's a fine polish only and it's water based so there are no oils. The IPA wipe should have easily cleaned your paint. Prep sol works well to, it's designed to clean surfaces before painting so it leaves behind a squeaky clean surfaces ready for what ever you want to use after. Follow the manufactures instructions and you will be fine.

swanicyouth
07-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0, Wolfgang finishing polish, polising glaze, machine glaze (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-finishing-glaze.html)
Is this what you were using?

If so there is no "glaze" in it. It's a fine polish only and it's water based so there are no oils. The IPA wipe should have easily cleaned your paint. Prep sol works well to, it's designed to clean surfaces before painting so it leaves behind a squeaky clean surfaces ready for what ever you want to use after. Follow the manufactures instructions and you will be fine.

Yes. That's it. I removed a few small defects with it the other night. At least I thought I did. After using I wiped down with IPA 20% a few times. It really looked gone. Then car was driven in the rain and defects returned. I know it's a fine polish, but the fact the defects were hidden and the fact that it's called a "glaze" made me think it had some hiding or filling ability. Never had that happen before, and I had waxed on top of it.

Buckskincolt
07-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Yes. That's it. I removed a few small defects with it the other night. At least I thought I did. After using I wiped down with IPA 20% a few times. It really looked gone. Then car was driven in the rain and defects returned. I know it's a fine polish, but the fact the defects were hidden and the fact that it's called a "glaze" made me think it had some hiding or filling ability. Never had that happen before, and I had waxed on top of it.

Not sure what happened there? Very odd indeed! Here is what the specs are on the WG finishing glaze.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0

Made by Menzerna
Diminishing Abrasive Technology
Milled and processed by Menzerna
Low-dusting, easy clean-up
Water-based
No fillers, wax or silicones
Removes 2500 grit sanding scratches
Effective on conventional and ceramic clear coats
Use after Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 to restore optimum gloss

I use these polishes a lot and have never had this issue. I'm stumped?:dunno:

Mobile detail
07-08-2012, 08:24 PM
I think what might have happened is you didn't get off all of the polishing oils and that was what was covering the defects. It sounds like you never fulled removed the defects. Im just guessing. WGFG won't cover up defects. Its not a real glaze. I know, strange that they call it a glaze. IME, When you do a wipe down with IPA, you can cause marring and scratches. IPA is a horriable lube and I don't use it.What were you working on?

I do use Prep Sol. I get the areosol version and spray some on a rag and then some on the paint and do a quick wipe and I'm good to go. I'll go straight to sealant or wax. Usually use BFMS or Automagic sealant

umi000
07-09-2012, 01:27 AM
Not sure what happened there? Very odd indeed! Here is what the specs are on the WG finishing glaze.

Wolfgang Finishing Glaze 3.0

Made by Menzerna
Diminishing Abrasive Technology
Milled and processed by Menzerna
Low-dusting, easy clean-up
Water-based
No fillers, wax or silicones
Removes 2500 grit sanding scratches
Effective on conventional and ceramic clear coats
Use after Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 to restore optimum gloss

I use these polishes a lot and have never had this issue. I'm stumped?:dunno:

They don't formulate it with any ingredients that are meant to deliberately fill in, but that doesn't mean that the oils used to lubricate the product won't themselves fill. Dodo Juice encountered something similar with their Lime Prime - when they formulated it, they didn't include any additives deliberately made for filling (such as kaolin clay). They were initially surprised when they got reports of the product filling in defects - again, it was the oils used for lubricating that was doing the filling.

swanicyouth
07-09-2012, 09:46 AM
I think what might have happened is you didn't get off all of the polishing oils and that was what was covering the defects. It sounds like you never fulled removed the defects. Im just guessing. WGFG won't cover up defects. Its not a real glaze. I know, strange that they call it a glaze. IME, When you do a wipe down with IPA, you can cause marring and scratches. IPA is a horriable lube and I don't use it.What were you working on?

I do use Prep Sol. I get the areosol version and spray some on a rag and then some on the paint and do a quick wipe and I'm good to go. I'll go straight to sealant or wax. Usually use BFMS or Automagic sealant

I think you got it. That's my point for making this thread. To use something else I can obtain locally for now to replace IPA. It left something behind that covered it up. These were very shallow "RID" type scratches I put in the surface with a PTG that has a hard plastic and metal tip (stupid I know). I looked at it from several angles under fluorescent lights and they were gone, only to return. However, I've read of this happening before with Menzerna polishes and some speculation they can make paint "swell" temporarily. Anyway, I did get it corrected with Optimum Polish II. I was on my black BMW. The paint is pretty hard on this car and it finishes down fine without a super fine polish.