PDA

View Full Version : A very bad day...

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ohio Detailing
07-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Hi guys,

I have really been enjoying the detailing and the expansion of our business! We've been regularly booking a week in advance, with clients every day. However... this past week, I had a pretty terrible day, and I thought I would post about it here as a bit of therapy and venting, since I always love to come here when something goes well or to rave about a product etc.

Well, in a nutshell while I was in the midst of detailing back to back clients (brand new custom F-150 Twin Turbo FX4 followed by a beautiful BMW M5 E60) things went 'awry.'

Everything seemed to go wrong at once:

Pressure washer began operating very erratically, running so rough that the pressure hose along would vibrate enough to give me a massage when it rubbed against me (although, I'm used to being severely pissed off at that AR Blue Clean 383 100% of the time, it's a useless heap of proprietary loathsome garbage)
The Heavy Duty 32oz sprayer bottles I bought from Auto Geek, are easily (and I MEAN EASILY) the worst, cheapest, most ridiculously flimsy bottles imaginable, and THREE BROKE BACK TO BACK, I AM NOT EXAGGERATING. The containers holding the tire shine, the waterless wash, and even the spray sealant all BROKE. Pieces of the bottle LITERALLY broke and fell to the ground before my eyes, and the stem of the bottle nearly popped off, and for the very few bottles that haven't fallen apart and basically turned to dust yet, they only have a half-sprayer-volume per trigger pull anymore, pathetic. It stinks too, because I bought 15 of them, so... money down the drain. I always wondered why Auto Geek would automatically send an extra nozzle/sprayer with each order of the bottles, now I know.

What's a rock-solid awesome and dependable sprayer bottle!?

The zipper on my BRAND NEW FLEX 3401 buffer bag just broke and fell right off as I gently unzipped the bag. It tore off like it was made from soggy recycled paper - THIS REALLY annoyed me. The "Mercedes of buffers" from Germany comes with a bag that costs $50, and has the quality of generic a zip-lock baggie.
Moving on to the actual paint correction, I did a FULL THREE STEP compound, polish, glaze/seal, with almost NO discernible difference in the paint condition. It didn't get worse, it didn't get better, it just felt smoother like I clayed it. I even bought the big expensive containers of the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish (1500), regular polish (4000), and super fine polish (4500) at the suggestion of one of the great (and I truly mean great, I don't mean that sarcastically :)) employees at Auto Geek. I was beside myself. I applied very good pressure, and I worked back and forth a MINIMUM OF 6 TIMES like Mike says in his half-an-hour video of the FLEX 3401 buffer. The only thing that did happen, was SOMEHOW my brand new out-of-the-packaging CCS foam buffing pad put a few swirls in the paint from where a contaminant of some type got in the outer portion of the buffing pad. I even used pad conditioner, and cleaned every panel before buffing.

By the way, what's the best way to clean these pads if I put them in a sealed zip lock baggie immediately after use, and they are still somewhat damp?

Believe it or not... these are just some of the highlights of this horrible day. There are more examples of just unreal crap that occurred. Ugh. Hopefully these days will continue to be the minority!

IN OTHER (MUCH BETTER) NEWS... I bought my dream car last week!! (check the attached image I snapped today with my cell phone)

:) As ironic as it surely is, I didn't get to even wash it or spray detail it until YESTERDAY, a week after buying it - that's how busy I've been.

Hope you've all been well!

AutowerxDetailing
07-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Dang... sounds like a crappy day indeed. I saw a thread a while back on spray bottles. Seems like most of them, regardless of brand, are hit or miss. I have a few from Ace and Home Depot. Some of them work fine, and others... well... let's just say they have had a talking to by yours truly a few times.

The nozzle on one of my HD bottles COMPLETELY BROKE OFF while I was claying the hood of a car. Luckily, I have no idea how, I caught the bottle before it could fall onto the paint with my other hand but that caused my clay slide off the hood and onto the ground. Pissed me off. A stupid $.99 spray bottle cost me about $10 worth of clay.

On the flip side: NICE RIDE! :props:

jvs1991
07-08-2012, 12:40 AM
Dang... sounds like a crappy day indeed. I saw a thread a while back on spray bottles. Seems like most of them, regardless of brand, are hit or miss. I have a few from Ace and Home Depot. Some of them work fine, and others... well... let's just say they have had a talking to by yours truly a few times.

The nozzle on one of my HD bottles COMPLETELY BROKE OFF while I was claying the hood of a car. Luckily, I have no idea how, I caught the bottle before it could fall onto the paint with my other hand but that caused my clay slide off the hood and onto the ground. Pissed me off. A stupid $.99 spray bottle cost me about $10 worth of clay.

On the flip side: NICE RIDE! :props:

Funnyyou mention this about the hd sprayer. I was wiping my car down with some last touch the other day and pop the sprayer on the hd bottle popped right off. Popped it back in to finish the car but annoying regardless.

To the op, maybe it's just one of those days. Everyone has them dont let it keep you down!

HotWhipT/A
07-08-2012, 01:15 AM
I did a FULL THREE STEP compound, polish, glaze/seal, with almost NO discernible difference in the paint condition. It didn't get worse, it didn't get better, it just felt smoother like I clayed it. I even bought the big expensive containers of the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish (1500), regular polish (4000), and super fine polish (4500)

If it wasn't making any difference, why keep going? Find something that will work and go from there. SIP isn't as aggressive as one might expect, especially on really hard paints.

BTW, nice car!

Bates Detailing
07-08-2012, 02:49 AM
Anything that can go wrong will go wrong all at once! Happens all the time in this business man. Hang in there - it will all turnaround :dblthumb2:

excalibur
07-08-2012, 03:24 AM
Sounds like a really irritating day, Rubbermaid spray bottles from Walmart are what I have been using for years and they seem to hold up well and are really heavily made.
Great looking car !!

swanicyouth
07-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Sounds like a really irritating day, Rubbermaid spray bottles from Walmart are what I have been using for years and they seem to hold up well and are really heavily made.
Great looking car !!

These are the best bottles IMHO. Only available at Super Walmart in my area.

mbret2004
07-08-2012, 07:06 AM
I always tell my kids that tough times don't last but tough people do. Relax! When you are calm and clear-headed things seem to work out for the best. Good luck.

truckbutt
07-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Have you checked for the black cloud that's following you?
M105 and Power Gloss are both more aggressive then SIP.
I use the Spraymaster bottles. If the Spraymaster bottles go bad, just send them back for a replacement.
Sorry you had such a bad day.

Flash Gordon
07-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Character comes in the face of adversity

dbbrooks
07-08-2012, 07:34 AM

:iagree:, Never, Never, Never give up.

dougaross
07-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Sorry about you bad day. I think if you had done a test spot before you did the whole vehicle you might have gotten better results.

"Never give up, never surrender!"

tuscarora dave
07-08-2012, 09:16 AM
You got that right Flash!!! :xyxthumbs:

I've had days like the OP's on many occasions. Sounds like the pressure washer was cavitating from a kinked supply hose or something. It took me quite a few overall beat downs such as you've experienced with the Ford truck corrections until I quit ignoring the whole test section and working in small work sections advice, that we read about all the time posted by the best detailers on this and other detailing discussion forums. I too have ordered some of the most expensive trigger spray bottles only to be sorely disappointed. In the end I found some tough bottles and that the cheapest sprayers last the longest (even with wheel acid left in the sprayers) I buy them about 50 at a time and pay around $1.50 each for the bottle with the sprayer included. Since this is a marketing forum sponsored by AG I won't reveal my sources but will rather say this, "As Flash has so eloquently stated, you'll get sick and tired of being sick and tired and find your way to the things you need as you grow as a detailer."

Hang in there Bud, If you are really getting into lots of work with big backlogs you'll eventually want to consider the thought of dropping a grand or more for a rebuild-able belt driven pressure washer made in America and leave the throw away washers alone.

There are lots of growing pains in this industry and from day one I have always read that it won't be easy.

brentech
07-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Bad days suck, but nice car man. I for one love the design of the current Mustangs.

What color is that baby?

sparty
07-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Is it possible that the vehicle was sealed with something like Opti or Cquarts? Sometimes a dealership will seal the car - the dealer wanted to sell me a sealer package on my Volvo for $500. I told them I could do it myself for $50 and know it was done correctly. His mouth dropped when I handed him my business car. Anyway, if it did have a sealer on it, it would help explain your dilemma.

-Sparty