PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to polish a new car before sealant?

Shortspark
07-07-2012, 05:27 PM
I just bought a Mercedes ML350 SUV. It has the option paint called "Diamond White" and is very beautiful. I assume this paint is hard as rocks and is in perfect condition. When I took delivery I washed and clayed (virtually no contaminants at all) and washed again. Then I used Duragloss 601 (bonding agent) topped with their TPP sealant 105. I waited a day and topped that with AquaWax and it looks terrific!

I like Duragloss products and have been using them for some time on my older cars but I always polished with Klasse AIO before applying sealants. With such good, new paint as is on the Mercedes, is the polish step prior to sealant (either with AIO or Duragloss 501) necessary?

RoadRageDetail
07-07-2012, 05:45 PM
I probably would have used a paint cleaner on it to enhance the bond that these new products will have and remove anything clay will not pick up. I'm sure the IornX fans will chime in and suggest it would have been good idea to use.

I'd wait to brag on your paint until you see how well it responds to correction when the time comes. (And gimmie about 30 seconds... I'll find something in the paint you can fix ;) )

RTexasF
07-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Klasse AIO is a chemical paint cleaner/light sealant and not a polish at all. By using the clay, which came up clean, I'd say you have done a fine job prior to the Duragloss.

DG #501 is also a cleaner with light sealant. A polish is abrasive and for all practical purposes requires a buffer to acquire maximum results.

tach18k
07-07-2012, 07:21 PM
I just did my black Prius, 5 months old, wash, clay wash, DG 111, then wolfgang deep gloss sealant, tomorrow I will use 845 wax. It looks great, but now I see every single nick, scratch, and swirl there is.

bmwgalore
07-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Yes, on a Mercedes it would be nice to do a one step with Menzerna SF4000 or even the SF4500 before the sealant.

These were made specifically for the PPG Ceramic clear coat your car has.