PDA

View Full Version : evaluating swirls for a newbee

oldgeek
07-06-2012, 07:16 PM
So... since I started dabbling into car care, my son brought his 5 year old beemer over today so dad could wash it and wax it for him (and show him what I've been learning from this wonderful site). Since both of my cars are fairly new, this is the first time I've looked at a car with the dreaded swirls with a critical eye and a confidence that I might be able to do something about it.

I realized immediately that I don't know if these are "light swirls", "medium swirls", or "severe swirls". Without knowing what I'm dealing with, I don't know what product to use to address the problem...

I know there is no substitute for experience but is there any "swirl identifier guide" or any words of wisdom that will help me. I don't want to use a light swirl remover if that would be a waste of time.

Thanks.

magna_power
07-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Do a test spot, that will let you know what works and what doesn't, then when you dial in what will work do the entire car ;)

rider9195
07-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Pictures would help. But do a test spot with a certain product and pad and see if it removals all the swirls. If not, try something else and go from there.

Edit: ^^ Beat me to it.

oldgeek
07-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks... Sounds like trial and error is the only approach.

magna_power
07-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Not the only way, but if you're new I'd say the best way. Try least aggressive first, it may get your finish to where you are happy, which is the main point. Get some bright light into the panels to inspect your work before/after.

Mike Phillips
07-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks... Sounds like trial and error is the only approach.

Trial and error by doing lots of Test Spots.

Every time you work on a car and do a test spot, try to lock into your memory how long you buffed, how hard you pushed down, basically anything about moving the buffer over the paint.

Then each time you buff out a car you've never worked on before you can start to gage one car's paint against another car's paint that you've worked on and then "you" can tell whether the swirls are deep or shallow and whether the paint is hard or soft.

Experience by buffing out a lot of cars and remembering the experience is really your best friend.

New to Machine Polishing?

How To Do a Test Spot (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html)
(and why it's so important)

:)