PDA

View Full Version : CCS pads, do you like them?

magna_power
07-06-2012, 06:36 PM
OK, I've read consistently that most people seem to hate the CCS pads, so then why do so many kits come with them? They seem to be in the majority of kits so either the people who hate them just yell a lot louder than those who like them, or, they really aren't very good...

I got a kit recently with 6.5" CCS pads and they seemed fine to me, but I've never used anything else, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. So, two really quick questions:

1. do you like CCS pads?

and if you answered no to question 1

2. Why does auto geek put CCS pads in their kits? (guesses obviously)

swanicyouth
07-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Yes I like them, that's primarily what I use... I think the problem is; a lot of people are using them with Griot's DA and running them at high speeds causing them to melt, adhesive to come off, and to break into pieces. I don't use this machine, and I have not had a single problem with these pads. Some people have even melted backing plates with it. I think pad damage is a direct result of exposure to too much heat. These pads are foam and glue and you can't expect them to survive hot temperatures. I think if you need to spin the machine that fast to generate enough heat to melt a pad or a backing plate you need to step up to a more aggressive compound or polish, not run the machine wide open putting a ton of pressure on the pad. Now I'll probably get bashed, but when I use a PC it doesn't get hot at all, barely even warm.

Buckskincolt
07-06-2012, 06:50 PM
magna_power;703463] OK, I've read consistently that most people seem to hate the CCS pads, so then why do so many kits come with them? They seem to be in the majority of kits so either the people who hate them just yell a lot louder than those who like them, or, they really aren't very good...

I got a kit recently with 6.5" CCS pads and they seemed fine to me, but I've never used anything else, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. So, two really quick questions:

1. do you like CCS pads?
They are OK but they are not my favorite, I feel that the flat pads or the HT pads finish better and don't absorb as much product as the CCS.

Only a guess, they are reasonable priced, suited for all polishes, and available in a wide range of sizes. Another guess would be the kits were designed and priced before some of the other pads were offered.

Another thing I find odd is they use a lot of 6.5" pads in DA kits when it's clear that 5.5" pads are a better match for DA polishers?

rider9195
07-06-2012, 06:56 PM
They work fine for me. They don't seem as durable as the flat pads though.

pointillistic_practitioner
07-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Yes I like them, that's primarily what I use... I think the problem is; a lot of people are using them with Griot's DA and running them at high speeds causing them to melt, adhesive to come off, and to break into pieces. I don't use this machine, and I have not had a single problem with these pads. Some people have even melted backing plates with it. I think pad damage is a direct result of exposure to too much heat. These pads are foam and glue and you can't expect them to survive hot temperatures. I think if you need to spin the machine that fast to generate enough heat to melt a pad or a backing plate you need to step up to a more aggressive compound or polish, not run the machine wide open putting a ton of pressure on the pad. Now I'll probably get bashed, but when I use a PC it doesn't get hot at all, barely even warm.

I use them with my Griot's DA and haven't had a problem. In fact, I was never aware that I should be using more than one pad per car until recently. You learn something new all the time on Autogeek!! In any case, that's a lot of friction for my pads (I've done suburbans and big caddys all with one pad) and haven't had any problems! I like them, but then again, I have nothing else to compare them to. I ordered some flat pads recently and they just came in tonight. We'll see how I like them.

07-06-2012, 07:14 PM
I use them with my Griot's DA and haven't had a problem. In fact, I was never aware that I should be using more than one pad per car until recently. You learn something new all the time on Autogeek!! In any case, that's a lot of friction for my pads (I've done suburbans and big caddys all with one pad) and haven't had any problems! I like them, but then again, I have nothing else to compare them to. I ordered some flat pads recently and they just came in tonight. We'll see how I like them.

I make sure to work very clean though (cleaning usually after each panel) & try to use the best pad/product combo. I only use the orange pad w/ medium-heavy swirl removers & compounds. I use my white pad for light swirl removers. I haven't used my yellow pads yet (which I regret not doing on some cars haha). I usually correct on speed 6 though...

Old Tiger
07-06-2012, 07:42 PM
magna_power;703463] OK, I've read consistently that most people seem to hate the CCS pads, so then why do so many kits come with them? They seem to be in the majority of kits so either the people who hate them just yell a lot louder than those who like them, or, they really aren't very good...

1. do you like CCS pads?
They are OK but they are not my favorite, I feel that the flat pads or the HT pads finish better and don't absorb as much product as the CCS.

Only a guess, they are reasonable priced, suited for all polishes, and available in a wide range of sizes. Another guess would be the kits were designed and priced before some of the other pads were offered.

Another thing I find odd is they use a lot of 6.5" pads in DA kits when it's clear that 5.5" pads are a better match for DA polishers?
The DA manufacturers need to stop supplying with 6" BPs.

Kaban
07-06-2012, 07:44 PM
i dont

07-06-2012, 08:11 PM
The DA manufacturers need to stop supplying with 6" BPs.

amen to that! I have two sitting at home doing nothing lol.

Dr Oldz
07-06-2012, 09:09 PM
I am not a big fan of CCS pads. I will use them with SMAT abrasive polish or LSPs tho.

Newdetailer1
07-06-2012, 09:24 PM
They are all I've been using. I've never had a problem with them and I've used them on both my PC and my flex 3401. I've used 5.5's and 6.5's! With that I've just placed an order here of 12 LC flats in yellow, orange, white and green. The only reason I'm trying the flats is to just see the difference and to just try something new. I feel the CCS pads are really good for someone just starting out. With its pockets it will hold some product while you polish keeping a nice "lube action" helping you avoid heating things up. You can work a product for a good bit of time with these pads. I've not had any problems with pads breaking up or wearing early. If you want to see what kind of acting I get with these pads check out my facebook link. All the cars were done with menzerna and ccs pads.

AutowerxDetailing
07-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Here is my take on CCS pads:

I have used CCS, Hydro Tech, and Waffle Pros from Lake Country.

NONE of my CCS pads have failed prematurely. I have never had one melt on a rotary or a DA polisher. I wash them either by hand or in the washer machine and the adhesive for the velcro backing has never peeled.

I dislike the way the HT pads wear. They seem to last for way fewer cars than my CCS pads. Although, they do finish out like a dream... even Cyan. It's a trade off I can live with.

mg6045
07-07-2012, 07:22 AM
I dislike the way the HT pads wear. They seem to last for way fewer cars than my CCS pads. Although, they do finish out like a dream... even Cyan. It's a trade off I can live with.

yep, that seems to be the general consensus. Hydro tech pads do wear out/break down faster, but they perform dramatically faster and better IMO. and cut and finish is a level above the other offerings.

A BIG factor to getting the Hydro tech pads to last longer is by avoid getting them loaded up and overheated. If i'm using Hyrdo tech, I always swap for a clean/new pad about every 2 panels. Doing it this way, my pads have lasted for as long as I want. Another tip is to be careful cleaning them. Especially cleaning them on the fly. The traditional pad nylon pad brush will destroy hydrotech pads. You abrade the top layer off of the foam with most all of the brush's available currently. Instead of using the brush (which I use with every other pad) I use a terry towel like the way Mike Phillips has posted.