PDA

View Full Version : cleaning fiber glass on box truck

scott989
07-06-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm having trouble cleaning 2 kinds of fiberglass on a box truck. The first type is the kind that seems like it would be on a rv or boat. It's smooth and solid. This is the nose cone on the box of the truck. The other type almost seems corrugated. I don't know what to liken this stuff to.

When i was trying to clean it all the dirt would seem to do is move around and none of it would lift off. And on top of that the product would completly absorb into the fiberglass and I couldn't wipe a single bit off.

I'm ordering some flitz products specific to fiberglass and my pc7424xp is coming so hopefully that will help. But otherwise I'm stumped on cleaning this stuff and could use some advice. Also what waxes are best for fiberglass?

dsigmon
09-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Just saw your post as I just joined recently.

I'm not a professional detailer but have been cleaning RV's for over 24 years. If you still need help, send me a private message.

swat ss
08-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Any updates on this?

Mike Phillips
08-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Any updates on this?

Yeah really... those posts are from 2 years ago.

It's always interesting when a new person joins and then tells someone to PM them for help.

Why not just keep it on the public forum? Help lots of people instead of just one set of eyeballs.

:dunno:

dsigmon
08-14-2013, 08:31 AM
OK, sorry about the PM message. I just guess I'm lazy & a very slow typist. That's my excuse & I'm sticking to it!

For the OP: The nose cone is fiberglass & the rest is probably Filon. (can't tell for sure without seeing). Filon is what is used on 90% of RV's today. Filon is very thin fiberglass overlaid on thin wood sheets. You can actually see & feel the fiberglass strands.

Fiberglass & filon are more durable & you can use stronger wash detergents to remove dirt & black streaks without doing damage to the paint. So wash with a product made for RV's. I like to use Camco Trailer Glitter Wash before I wax or restore the paint. It removes all dirt & most black streaks. Stay away from wash & wax products- they all leave water spots unless you want to dry down the whole truck.

Restoring the fiberglass nose cone will probably take a wool pad on a high speed rotary buffer with a heavy cut compound, followed by a polish with your DA polisher. Then add some wax of your choice. Duragloss products work well (501).

The filon can usually be polished with a DA or rotary buffer. Most of the time it does not need compounding. Duragloss 501 works well most of the time. It will clean & protect in one step.