PDA

View Full Version : A good reason to get a PC...

66Stang
05-17-2006, 06:44 PM
I am a complete novice. I have never used a buffer of any type in my life before, but I knew my car needed one. I did some research and bought a PC 7336 from Lowe's, and then I bought the complete Sonus SFX kit (pads and polish) along with some 2000 grit sandpaper.

Here are the results: This first picture is shows how bad the orange peel was on my clear coat. I can barely get a reflection out of it.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Porter_Cable_Before.JPG

I hit the entire car with 2000 grit sandpaper (this was the last side to recieve "treatment")
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Porter_Cable_During.JPG

And here is the car after "mainly" using SFX 1 polish with the SFX 1 yellow pad. I used a light coat of wax with the blue SFX 3 pad for the car show (I was in a rush), but the rest of the car has the SFX 2 polish on it as well.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Porter_Cable_After.JPG

I think these results speak for themselves. :cheers:

Totoland Mach
05-17-2006, 06:59 PM
FANTASTIC! what a great job done on a classic Mustang! I've been using the pc for almost 4 years and it's been the best investment I've ever made. My Mustang as well as the family drivers look tons better than they ever did, and now I detail on weekends as a paid hobby. I try to limit myself to enthusiast cars (it seems they appreciate the effort taken to have a superior finish).

Take care...

Totoland Mach

BILL
05-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Very nice job Congrats:applause:

Oceanedge
05-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Awesome job! That is a massively cool ride too! Love the Mustangs!

ScottB
05-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Well I hope you at least used an Autogeek bucket :p I noticed the wheels, very dull looking aluminum. I highly suggest you try out some P21S Polishing Soap and then a light metal polish with a Powerball, you will be more than happy with the results. Uncoated aluminum wheels are a bear to keep clean and polished :cheers:

Oceanedge
05-17-2006, 07:52 PM
oooh and then follow the metal polish with a good synthetic protectant! That keeps the oxidation away for a while longer.

Totoland Mach
05-18-2006, 06:12 AM
Well I hope you at least used an Autogeek bucket :p I noticed the wheels, very dull looking aluminum. I highly suggest you try out some P21S Polishing Soap and then a light metal polish with a Powerball, you will be more than happy with the results. Uncoated aluminum wheels are a bear to keep clean and polished :cheers:

killrwheels: those wheels are "satin finished" from what I can see of them. American Racing and ET made those in the 60's and 70's for drag racing. I think the only maintenance you can do is keep them clean and free of oxidation.

Totoland Mach

INMY01TA
05-18-2006, 01:54 PM
Very nice car. I used to have a 66' Stang, it was a 6 banger tho. I had alot of fun in that car.

LynchMOB
05-18-2006, 03:04 PM
HOLY SH!T!!! You got a HUGE set on you!! First time with a PC and you tore into your classic Mustang with sandpaper. WOW, Looks great!!! I dont think I could have done that.

ScottB
05-18-2006, 06:14 PM
killrwheels: those wheels are "satin finished" from what I can see of them. American Racing and ET made those in the 60's and 70's for drag racing. I think the only maintenance you can do is keep them clean and free of oxidation.

Totoland Mach

Yes I know the wheels well. But look at the lip versus the centers. Using the polishing soap and a metal polish (like Mothers) will brighten them up quite a bit. Wont look like my high-polished, but I bet you'd be surprised at what could be done.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/167christopher_2_009-med.jpg

I didnt expect them to look like these ...

66Stang
05-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys! I still look at the car and cant believe its the same car. It looks unbelievable.

As far as tearing into it with sandpaper, we kinda knew it would need a little work so we put 3 extra heavy coats of clear on it. I only went through it once on the very front lip of the hood, otherwise there were no problems at all. I just wish there was something a little more abrasive than SFX-1 that I knew about, because it literally took me longer to polish than to wet-sand. I put the PC on 5 and leaned into it for pressure, then just moved it very slowly back and forth. I swear I could let my 4 year old use it and not burn the paint. :p

As far as the wheels, they are the American Racing Outlaw series (which are satin finish clear coated). And they are completely cleaned and polished in that picture, lol. Ive had them on there for almost 10 years now and Ive always wished that I got the polished finish. Maybe some day :D

Kelso
05-21-2006, 10:26 AM
sounds like you want some new wheels eh?... id go a bit wider as well if you do get some new polished wheels

Neothin
05-21-2006, 08:40 PM
well, part of the reason why it took forever is because you used speed 5. I do ALL my polishing on speed 6. look into smaller 4" pads. those tend to speed things up a good bit too.

Shayne
05-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Very nice ride! Great job. I have a PC 7424 and have been learning to use it. Your work is inspiring. Thanks.